Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Early 2000s BMW 3-series - reliable?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Early 2000s BMW 3-series - reliable?

Nothing serious, but browsing around CL I find surprisingly good prices on early 2000s BMW 3-series cars that seem to be in really great condition.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2956118862.html

At 153k miles, it seems like it would have a fair bit of life left in it. The price is hard to argue with too. I could sell my '00 Celica GTS in, add about $2000, and buy this thing.

Are these cars reliable? It seems like there would be fewer problems with the low end three series than the higher end 3,5, and 7 series models.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is a reason why it is $5900, and it probably has something to do with poor reliability.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 AM

That's possible... it's also possible that they just want to get rid of it and buy a newer car.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

HELLLLLLLL NO.

I just got rid of my sister's old 03 325i because of all the bullshit issues. 4 windows needed new regulators ($250/window). The parts alone are shit expensive.

The windowshield wiper motor stopped working, i was quoted $600ish to fix that. It miraculously started working again before i sold it.

Tons of subframe issues. Had weird noises come from the shocks. The car got shit gas mileage.

Pretty much the drivetrain is bulletproof. BUT all the little shit are expensive and break often. This is a car without nav btw. Nav cars are even worse.

Oh and the car only had 120k miles. Your better off just buying a japanese economy car. Id go spend a little more and get a decent accord or civic IMHO.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM

Allllrighttyyy then... haha

My celica has been flawless for 12 years and almost 200k miles. Don't fix what isn't broken I guess.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they're expensive if you have a tech work on them. window regulators for my parents x5 was about 100 and an hour or 2 of DIY. but its a lot of small BS things with these cars that add up fast.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Only E30's and E36's are reliable. E36's just need their cooling systems fixed. But E46's and newer are where BMW went wrong.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
That's possible... it's also possible that they just want to get rid of it and buy a newer car.
LOL

If they were really wanting to move up to a 7 series and the used value was thousands more than they were asking, why wouldn't they trade it in when they bought the 7 series at the dealer?!?

BTW, it's not about "reliability" but about how much it costs to repair what's broke. I'm guessing it needs front and rear shocks/struts as well as tires, clutch, brakes, radiator, water pump, and maybe one or two other things.

A BMW 7 starts at $71,000. So since they aren't trading in their car on a new model, they are dumping the POS just to get out of the maintenance costs.

I'd buy a 3 series, just not this one.

If you are going to buy a private sale BMW, get *all* the service records. Don't pay below market value. Don't assume the seller is just giving you a good deal out of the goodness of their heart (LOL). BMW's are notoriously expensive to maintain via the dealer, and not that much cheaper buying parts from a third party and installing in your garage. Nice cars for sure, but *not* for bottom dollar.

If you want a BMW for the vaunted "BMW experience," pay the money. Otherwise you become part of the unhappy "BMW is over-rated" club. And nobody wants that, including your wallet. Just like Porsche or Ferrari, there is no such thing as a "great deal" on a BMW if you want to actually drive the car regularly.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2003 325xi. It was a phenomenal DD with no problems UP TO 151k mi. When it hit that number, it suddenly needed new struts, a new wiring harness, new taillights, and a variety of other little electrical related issues. Engine, etc were great, and still chugging away. 151k is the point to decide to keep or ditch that car--not the point to pick one up. One with 100,000--in great condition--might have solid life left in it, but you're gambling.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ted H
I had a 2003 325xi. It was a phenomenal DD with no problems UP TO 151k mi. When it hit that number, it suddenly needed new struts, a new wiring harness, new taillights, and a variety of other little electrical related issues. Engine, etc were great, and still chugging away. 151k is the point to decide to keep or ditch that car--not the point to pick one up. One with 100,000--in great condition--might have solid life left in it, but you're gambling.
New wiring harness? New taillights? How does that stuff even fail?

Quick Reply: Early 2000s BMW 3-series - reliable?