Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Early 2000s BMW 3-series - reliable?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1334341208' post='21605257
That's possible... it's also possible that they just want to get rid of it and buy a newer car.
LOL

If they were really wanting to move up to a 7 series and the used value was thousands more than they were asking, why wouldn't they trade it in when they bought the 7 series at the dealer?!?

BTW, it's not about "reliability" but about how much it costs to repair what's broke. I'm guessing it needs front and rear shocks/struts as well as tires, clutch, brakes, radiator, water pump, and maybe one or two other things.

A BMW 7 starts at $71,000. So since they aren't trading in their car on a new model, they are dumping the POS just to get out of the maintenance costs.

I'd buy a 3 series, just not this one.

If you are going to buy a private sale BMW, get *all* the service records. Don't pay below market value. Don't assume the seller is just giving you a good deal out of the goodness of their heart (LOL). BMW's are notoriously expensive to maintain via the dealer, and not that much cheaper buying parts from a third party and installing in your garage. Nice cars for sure, but *not* for bottom dollar.

If you want a BMW for the vaunted "BMW experience," pay the money. Otherwise you become part of the unhappy "BMW is over-rated" club. And nobody wants that, including your wallet. Just like Porsche or Ferrari, there is no such thing as a "great deal" on a BMW if you want to actually drive the car regularly.
That's a rather depressing assessment of the situation, though not entirely surprising I guess.

Just for another data point... A friend of mine bought a 10 year old, 160k mile, 540i (V8) manual about two years ago and it's been rock solid for him. I thought he was crazy for buying the car, but has had no issues with it. I think he paid about $7500.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Roll the dice, some people get them and have absolutely no issues with the car and got a solid deal. Others, have issues here and there and get turned off by BMW altogether. Which one seems to be more likely to you and go with that.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW has had a number of issues with the changeover in the 90s to more "environmentally friendly" plastics throughout the manufacturing process.

E36s started to see this with their cooling systems that are a time bomb after about 80-90k miles. You can replace the whole system for about $1k with all aluminum stuff that won't fail though.

The E46 series has the cooling system problems, coupled with the same plastics in the wiring harnesses and other places, hence more things needing fixing. Suspension needs new bushings every 80k. Window regulators are a common issue. VANOS is hit or miss. Rear subframe has a tendency to tear.

Rear shock mounts are an issue that goes back all the way to the E36 chassis, I believe it affects the E46 as well. If I were buying a high mileage Bimmer, It would be a E36 328iS, and I would promptly replace the cooling system and bushings. Anything else you are playing russian roulette with your wallet.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Interesting info in this thread.. I never knew e46's tended to have these issues. Is anyone familiar with the e90/e92s? I looked at them a few years back. Do they have the same reliability issues as the e46's or were the problems ironed out? A sensor or regulator going bad here and there is one thing, but having subframe, cooling, electrical harness issues could be a real pita.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read over the years, I think the e30 is the last really reliable 3 series and the e34 is the last really reliable 5 series. Newer models have some known faults (rear shock towers failing in the 3 series, weak cooling systems, etc.) and have more complicated systems which can go wrong.

The tech editor of the Roundel (the BMWCCA's magazine) has been telling members not to keep newer BMW's past the warranty period.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by Ted H' timestamp='1334583889' post='21611648
I had a 2003 325xi. It was a phenomenal DD with no problems UP TO 151k mi. When it hit that number, it suddenly needed new struts, a new wiring harness, new taillights, and a variety of other little electrical related issues. Engine, etc were great, and still chugging away. 151k is the point to decide to keep or ditch that car--not the point to pick one up. One with 100,000--in great condition--might have solid life left in it, but you're gambling.
New wiring harness? New taillights? How does that stuff even fail?

A lot of plastics get brittle with age.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich85tpi
From what I've read over the years, I think the e30 is the last really reliable 3 series and the e34 is the last really reliable 5 series. Newer models have some known faults (rear shock towers failing in the 3 series, weak cooling systems, etc.) and have more complicated systems which can go wrong.

The tech editor of the Roundel (the BMWCCA's magazine) has been telling members not to keep newer BMW's past the warranty period.
I did a 3 year stint with an A4 between years 8-10 of its age. Never again.
I was thinking about repalcing it with a 98-99ish E36 M3, but then looked into all the issues, and decided it would be a bigger money pit than the A4 I was replacing.

Got myself an Acura RSX-S, and drove it for 6 years without issue. Just replaced it with the AP1in my sig with 20k less miles for minimal outlay on my part.

My motto now is this:
Rent American (or beater with a proven cheap one), buy Japanese, lease German.

The german manufacturers, especially the luxury ones, have made it clear that the only person who's ownership experience counts is the initial buyer/leasee.

Porsche made this apparent with their refusal to do anything regarding the 1999-2008ish boxster/non-GTx model 911, IMS/RMS failures. Seriously? There is something like a 25% failure rate of engines over 60k miles. That's not right, and close to downright criminal on a $60k+ car.

BMW made this clear with their refusal to put a proper cooling system on the 3 for 2 decades now.

Audi made it clear with every iteration of their turbo motors, which are perpetually running like garbage.

Come to think of it, I never really hear anything bad about Mercedes though, but I don't think they get bought in large enough quantities or have as vocal an enthusaist fanbase.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Most cars on the road need some work, it seems like it all comes at once sometimes. German cars have electrical issues and cooling issues and some even have fuel issues. Japanese cars speak for themselves, most of us own one and with a few expections they prove to be a benchmark in reliability adn value. I would not buy a bmw with 153,000 miles on it for any reason without the expectation that it would need work. My girlfriend has a lexus, rx 300 a 2000. It has a valve cover leak, needed brakes and tires, needs the headlight lens polish, and has a few buttons that do not work, it has 148,000 miles on it. It has sit outside for all of it's life and carried her dog about daily, it has ripped seats...but it is a solid car and worth putting $3000 in it to trick it out if need be. Its good for another couple of years min. So i would buy that car. Your mileage may very. you have a nice high mileage car that runs well, yoiu know it's history, why dump $3,000 or so into a used car you know nothing about?
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Coming from a 2001 BMW 328 owner, NO! Don't do it. There's a reason why people get rid of their Bimmers after 120k miles. BMW=break my wallet. There was also a recall for rear cracked sub frame. The car was a nice ride, but expect to pay a premium on parts. They also have a weak cooling system and if you live in a place like Arizona, expect all the rubber to melt off. I also had some issues with the traction control system before I let it go. Btw, it was also supercharged and i sold it for cheaper than that car, and it was metallic blue. He's also asking way too much for that car, don't do it! Oh yea, and the moon roof motor took a crap on me also, and the radiator fans. I'm not the only one, read reviews about the e46 3 series, and you will find similar bad reviews to mine.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by alanpikku
Coming from a 2001 BMW 328 owner, NO! Don't do it. There's a reason why people get rid of their Bimmers after 120k miles. BMW=break my wallet. There was also a recall for rear cracked sub frame. The car was a nice ride, but expect to pay a premium on parts. They also have a weak cooling system and if you live in a place like Arizona, expect all the rubber to melt off. I also had some issues with the traction control system before I let it go. Btw, it was also supercharged and i sold it for cheaper than that car, and it was metallic blue. He's also asking way too much for that car, don't do it! Oh yea, and the moon roof motor took a crap on me also, and the radiator fans. I'm not the only one, read reviews about the e46 3 series, and you will find similar bad reviews to mine.
Yep, I love my BMW, but I wouldn't even consider keeping it past it's factory warranty, let alone 100K+

Quick Reply: Early 2000s BMW 3-series - reliable?