Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Electric brakes?

Old 04-30-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Electric brakes?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/br...e-a-thing-soon

Interesting and relevant quote from the article:

C/D: Will we see electrification in the braking system?

Canavotto: Electrified braking systems will become a strong trend over the next decade. Brake-by-wire systems really give us and carmakers flexibility with tuning. We have used them in Formula 1 for years. In future cars, they can be tailored to the driver and create a soft or firm feel, shorter or longer pedal travel, much like the driving modes for the suspension and steering right now. Most of the carmakers are expressing a desire to electrify the entire vehicle, even apart from the powertrain. Brake-by-wire doesn’t depend on an electric motor [in the drivetrain], and we don’t even need a 48-volt system.
Can you imagine being able to adjust a brake pedal to your own liking? That'd be awesome to transition from street driving to performance/track driving.

As with all remote/electrical systems, the trick will be to give feedback like a mechanical system. I have heard that the new NSX has an amazing "brake by wire" system that give excellent feedback so it's definitely doable (they discuss this as well). The only question is, at what cost?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

The more things change, the more I want an old Miata.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I strongly dislike the electronic parking brake on my GT4...
Old 04-30-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint
I strongly dislike the electronic parking brake on my GT4...
I like the electronic ebrakes on the cars I have had them on. Never had one on a manual though. GT4 has the hill assist, right?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

A lot of the Subaru folks disable the electronic hill assist.

It doesn't bother me much either way.

IMO, brake feel should just be good all the time, regardless or street or track use.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I like the electronic ebrakes on the cars I have had them on. Never had one on a manual though. GT4 has the hill assist, right?
Yes. It has hill assist.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by THMotorsports
IMO, brake feel should just be good all the time, regardless or street or track use.
I'm with you, 100%. I want a pedal where stopping power is proportion to pedal force, and linear with pedal travel. I can't imagine why anyone would want to adjust away from this ideal.

I had the misfortune of driving a friend's ~10 yr old Camry recently. I don't know how Toyota managed to engineer such an awful feeling brake system on that car. Probably the same guys that developed the power steering in that car...
Old 04-30-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I am skeptical as hell about it. Manufacturers wish to go this way because once the initial technology is in place and it becomes universal it will be at a cost reduction to older systems, but more expensive to repair. It definitely helped with fuel economy in terms of replacing power steering.

Going from my Mazdaspeed 3 to the Golf R with electric steering the change is not 100% welcome. The benefit is that you can tune it, 3 different settings for firmness, so the issue is not the weight of the steering. Weight and feedback are two different things that people often conflate with one another. At 9/10ths or more the electric steering is just downright vague and disappointing. I am not wholly against these new technologies, just playing devils advocate that there is of course a negative trade off.

You can tune brake bias in hydraulic systems with $70 proportioning valves too, but the idea of OEM clean electronic line locks and perhaps individual driver tuned bias is pretty awesome.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Our cars also have electric power steering; you can't try one variation of it and decide it is all terrible. There are cars that are completely separated, but most EPS cars (including the GTI) still have a steering shaft connected to the rack, they've just decided to no longer pump fluid.
Additionally, steering feedback will vary based on suspension geometry, type (double wishbone, mcpherson) of suspension linkage, tires, etc.

I am 100% positive that electronically controlled braking with reduce accidents and decrease emergency stopping distances for the average driver.
For enthusiasts it will allow us to emulate different pad compounds, in a way. All of us have different preferences in brake pad initial bite, an ideal pedal pressure-to-friction ratio and curve, and front-rear preference bias -- this will allow some level of control over that via electronics, and allow on the fly adjustment.

I am an analog car person, but time marches on and the sky is not falling.
Originally Posted by jeffbrig
I'm with you, 100%. I want a pedal where stopping power is proportion to pedal force, and linear with pedal travel. I can't imagine why anyone would want to adjust away from this ideal.

I had the misfortune of driving a friend's ~10 yr old Camry recently. I don't know how Toyota managed to engineer such an awful feeling brake system on that car. Probably the same guys that developed the power steering in that car...
​​​​​​Brakes are already not 100% linear or proportional as the friction level changes with the temperature of the pads and vary based on pad compound. Some pads have high initial bite, some low, some feel like a block of wood when you get into them, some feel soft.
As far as the Camry, it is an econobox and likely neglected in terms of maintenance.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

apparently the new Alfa Stelvio has electric brakes. Road and Track said they were "maddeningly inconsistent- The technology still feels foreign to anyone accustomed to conventional, hydraulic brakes. Right now, that's nearly everybody."

based on that review, not ready for prime time.

darcy

Quick Reply: Electric brakes?