Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Fit

Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Fit

I know this has become a source of comedy on the forums, so I hesitate to bring it up... but as I mentioned awhile ago, I'm looking for a new DD, and the FIT might be it?

Those of you in the know... snow: will I die driving one on it?

That is currently one of my main concerns.... how will it do in the snow?

Also, '09s are coming out... can I expect to clear an '08 at invoice (or close?) and what would that be.

Right now I've boiled down my other options to two other very different cars:

'99-'03 3-Series (preferably xi)

'00-'03 QX4

My main reasoning for the fit over these cars being: reliability, warranty, gas.

Any other points, suggestions, ideas?

Thank all.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Why not a Civic?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:17 PM

I wouldn't expect to see the '08s at close to invoice. At least where I am at they can't seem to keep them on the lots new, used, whatever. Used ones are selling above invoice with some miles on them. You might have more luck in Indiana, but I don't know, not really sure how small Japanese cars are regarded there.

As for whether it will drive in the snow, that really depends on how much snow we're talking about. AWD is primarily useful in the snow for not getting stuck, it's only minimally useful once you're actually moving. FWD + skinny wheels = good. Low ground clearance and lack of LSD = bad. Unless you're talking Chicago type snow it'll be fine, just watch out parking on ice.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:19 PM

I would wait for the 09 Fits before making a decision. Supposedly they're much better.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 15 2008, 11:17 PM
Why not a Civic?
I suppose that's possible. I mean, in reality, I've got 2 fun cars, and I just want a cheap cost effective daily/snow worthy vehicle. I'm hoping to stay between 10k-15k on this one. The Fit seemed the cheapest/best option.

And that's a little unfortunate to hear that they're not going for cheaper. I was hoping that with the delivery of the '09s '08's would be getting cheaper.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 PM

I think it would be hard to find an 08 at all... most dealers were sold out a while ago.

They do fine in the snow, my brother in law got through a few Chicago winters with no problems.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:32 PM

I checked my local dealer's online log of vehicles they have on the lot... there are 24 fits on their lot. Hopefully that will help me out some? MSRP listed on their site is 14,600. Any chance I can clear them to 12,xxx?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ted H,Sep 15 2008, 09:32 PM
I checked my local dealer's online log of vehicles they have on the lot... there are 24 fits on their lot.
Is the list current? Somehow, I kinda doubt it. No dealer has 24 Fits on their lot.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Zam

I just got one of those distro emails and the local dealer (GA) is getting rid of all 08 civics at +$500 on invoice, but no mention of 08 Fits.

I doubt you'll get much of a deal, but shoot an email to the internet manager and see what they offer. I'd also wait for these ridiculous gas prices to go back to down to the pre-Ike prices. $1.00 hike per gallon in less than a week... People see those prices and rush out to trade off their Escalades on Hybrids and Hondas.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:21 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted H,Sep 15 2008, 09:01 PM
I know this has become a source of comedy on the forums, so I hesitate to bring it up... but as I mentioned awhile ago, I'm looking for a new DD, and the FIT might be it?

Those of you in the know... snow: will I die driving one on it?

That is currently one of my main concerns.... how will it do in the snow?

Also, '09s are coming out... can I expect to clear an '08 at invoice (or close?) and what would that be.

Right now I've boiled down my other options to two other very different cars:

'99-'03 3-Series (preferably xi)

'00-'03 QX4

My main reasoning for the fit over these cars being: reliability, warranty, gas.
Fit should drive OK in the snow. I am not sure what type of snow you are thinking of butit should be OK like most FWD cars, but hurt (?) somewhat by being very light not able to plow thru some stuff.

If cheap + AWD is a consideration look at the Legacy or the Forrester. I mean the NA engines are nothing fancy but we have a Legacy wagon which is ~$21K brand new and it's great in all conditions. We get ~27 MPG mixed driving on regular gas.

I don't think it's as fun or as hip as a Fit but it's a solid and mid-size car. I don't know how important it is, but the Legacy wagon weighs (IDK) say 700 lbs more than a Fit. If you crash-crash in a car you'd rather be in the Legacy than the Fit (or Mini)

Also a Civic is probably safer than a Fit (I say that mainly based on the Fit being a sub-compact weight class) and a Civic gets similar gas mileage but no wagon or hatchback with the Civic.

I have driven previous gen Fit, Civic, GTi, Si and Mini Cooper.

Fun cars would be the Mini or Fit (really both ar fun subjective which you like better but the Mini likely would cost a bit more but has way more optionl features).

Really the Legacy is is boring appliance car but it's all around good nothing fancy but safe and great in the snow (I know you say that's a priority). But the Fit/Civic should both do fine in snow and where I live they clear the roads of snow fairly quickly unless we have several feet (happens once every 4-5 years). But 90% of our snow is just a couple inches.

Bleh, you say main reason is reliability and gas mileage yet you are looking at 5-6 year old BMW or Infiniti (which is a gas hog I believe) why are you looking at a QX4? That's just laughable the QX4 gets in the teens for gas mileage, a Legacy would double the MPGs (you get 27 MPG all day long with the NA Legacy) and a Civic will get you in the 30s. For Peet's sake don't buy a QX4 for gas mileage. Also you want to fix or repair a 7 year old awd BMW? get a new car will have 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. that's a no brainer IMO.

Look at Mini for fun and great gas mileage, look at the Fit or Civic for a bit cheaper price but both great cars. Legacy is snow is main concern. IMO

Quick Reply: The Fit