Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ford GT ran a 2:38 at VIR grand new lap record.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Man, a bunch of you guys are whiny little girls. "Wah, Quickag talks about his Corvette. Boo hoo, now his Porsche."

A car guy on a car forum talking about his car? No way! Has anyone alerted the media???
The following 5 users liked this post by Mr.E.G.:
cfphelps (02-07-2018), flexer (02-05-2018), fusionchickenleg (02-03-2018), JonBoy (02-02-2018), TrumpetTitan (02-12-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:05 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Man, a bunch of you guys are whiny little girls. "Wah, Quickag talks about his Corvette. Boo hoo, now his Porsche."

A car guy on a car forum talking about his car? No way! Has anyone alerted the media???
No one is crying. Just annoying to see every single thread turn into the same penis measuring contest among the same couple posters.

There's a reason this sub-forum is "dead a lot of the time." QUIKAG seems to be an insufferable prick, which is going to cut down on traffic to areas where he posts.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
No one is crying. Just annoying to see every single thread turn into the same penis measuring contest among the same couple posters.

There's a reason this sub-forum is "dead a lot of the time." QUIKAG seems to be an insufferable prick, which is going to cut down on traffic to areas where he posts.
I find your personal attacks distasteful and off-putting. On the other hand, I don't mind discussion comparing the merits of different cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by Elistan:
flexer (02-05-2018), fusionchickenleg (02-03-2018), TommyDeVito (02-02-2018), TrumpetTitan (02-12-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Lol criticising quikag instantly loses credibility in my book, especially over factual info that the zr1 did beat the gt.
And really... who cares, I'd still buy a gt in a heartbeat.

And for the stang camaro comparison, the pp2 is the better comparison but iirc costs more than the 1le. Additionally, the 1le is practically on par with the gt350 track pack (standard on 2017+), so if the pp2 beats it that means Ford makes a superior mustang for less money than the gt350.

I drove the 1le, and it's not just a numbers chaser, the car is legit, had it been named something more boy racer friendly like type r or iroc z or not rental special it would probably get more press. I still passed, paid more, and bought a car that isn't really better than it because I'm chasing experience not numbers I'll never be able to attain.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:59 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I have no problems with Quikag or his posting.

As to the GT, I certainly understand WHY Ford went with their V6. Doesn't mean I like it, regardless of the reason.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody

Can you provide an example of where he has been a prick to someone?

He's easily one of the nicest and most genuine guys around. Furthermore, he is very skilled behind the wheel and never brags about it. For example, one of our local tuning shops had a blog post about a time trial event wherein they bragged on some of their customers that had done well. Quickag was one of the entrants in that race and he won his class / destroyed a bunch of track cars in his street car. Bear in mind, I just happened to stumble across that post and recognize his car when reading the tuning company's blog. Quickag never said a word about it, even when we had a conversation about his track experiences. I very seriously doubt that if most of the folks on this forum could drive anywhere as competently as he does, or if they owned as many cool toys as he does, that we would ever hear the end of it. Hell, I'd be surprised if he didn't come into this thread and disagree with me about his driving prowess, even though he is objectively better behind the wheel than probably anyone in this thread other than Billy (and I'm sure Cosmos would disagree that anyone can outdrive Cosmos :-) )

But seriously, both online and in person, Quickag is a total gentleman.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr.E.G.:
cbehney (02-02-2018), JonBoy (02-02-2018), TrumpetTitan (02-12-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 07:36 AM

Received 401 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Billj747
Although the Mustang and Camaro brands are direct competitors, they don't really have direct competition other than base SS vs base Mustang GT. Even then, the SS has coolers and the GT does not. Technically the base GT350 is more of a 1LE competitor but due to the different engine, you could argue against that. Either way, the 1LE is not a competitor to a base mustang or PP1.

If you feel the GT should have had a V8, you don't understand the purpose of the GT. There's a reason Viper and Corvette lowered their displacements in the top level of motorsport where they both compete with the GT. Larger displacement for a restricted HP class leads to inefficiencies. The GT was built for racing, but the 3.5L displacement becomes a restriction when making a street car king. If you take mfg claimed HP as a standard, the GT makes more HP per Liter than any of its competition:

GT - 647/3.5 = 184.86
GT2RS - 700/3.8 = 184.21
720S - 720/4.0 = 180
ZR1 - 755/6.2 = 121.77
Viper - 650/8.4 = 77.38

And the GT2RS has water injection. That's pretty impressive for a 'Ford', but it makes it difficult to be the 'king of the streets'. Despite that. I'm looking forward to see what GM does with a "production" ZR1 for their "official time" with stock seats.

I would imagine (and hope) the performance variants of the new Mid-engine Vette to blow away Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari, and Lamborghini for 1/2 or 3/4 of the price. The platform is there for it and that's what it's intent is for. Which will also make for a better racing platform. But the GT's story and design intent to maximize the rules and be a 'no-wavier' car for LeMans, restricts it from being the all-powerful street-bruiser that it sounds like you're looking for. That may be a knock against the GT, but that's also part of what makes the GT so special.

Either way, as i said before. I can't wait to see what GM comes out with for the new Vette. I wish Ford would bring back a true open-ended competitor at a lower price point to go up against it, but that likely won't happen
That is true on base SS vs. base Mustang GT. That said for real-world driving, many people prefer the interior layout, visibility, and styling of the Mustang over maybe the dynamic prowess of the SS. They both sell well though. I actually wanted a Mustang GT, but my wife preferred the Camaro when we bought the SS. I'm glad we got the SS, but I still think the Mustang is a cool car, especially with the new goodies for 2018 and especially the GT350 model. That car sounds about as good as it gets.

I didn't realize the technical reasons for the 3.5TT on the Ford GT, thank you for sharing that. Also the hp/ltr without H20 injection is very impressive. And I bet that horsepower is easily within the limits of the that 3.5 engine. I did know the Vette used a 5.5L for racing, but thought it was for revs and durability or something. I was hoping the new ZR1 was actually going to be a very high revving 5.5L race engine derivative. As fast as the new ZR1 is, I still think GM took the easy way out with that car and I'm sure I'm going to get one down the road. I'll probably hold out for the mid-engine.

Have a great Friday!!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 401 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Can you provide an example of where he has been a prick to someone?

He's easily one of the nicest and most genuine guys around. Furthermore, he is very skilled behind the wheel and never brags about it. For example, one of our local tuning shops had a blog post about a time trial event wherein they bragged on some of their customers that had done well. Quickag was one of the entrants in that race and he won his class / destroyed a bunch of track cars in his street car. Bear in mind, I just happened to stumble across that post and recognize his car when reading the tuning company's blog. Quickag never said a word about it, even when we had a conversation about his track experiences. I very seriously doubt that if most of the folks on this forum could drive anywhere as competently as he does, or if they owned as many cool toys as he does, that we would ever hear the end of it. Hell, I'd be surprised if he didn't come into this thread and disagree with me about his driving prowess, even though he is objectively better behind the wheel than probably anyone in this thread other than Billy (and I'm sure Cosmos would disagree that anyone can outdrive Cosmos :-) )

But seriously, both online and in person, Quickag is a total gentleman.
Don't make me blush, EG. Sounds like I owe you dinner next time around! haha. Man, I like talking cars and SOME people on here are some of the better guys on the internet to just chat cars. I don't talk about my car crap in person to hardly anyone except my close car friends. No one at work even knows I have a P-car and I won't tell anyone. Some know I have a Vette, but when they ask I just say it's a "old" 2010 Vette. I have my preferences, but I like all cool cars. Occasionally, I like defending cars I prefer, but it's just part of the fun internet debating.

Car driving is so subjective and I'm absolutely NOT a pro or even close to it like Bill, etc. The one time I'll say something since EG brought it up is that almost every single time I've been in an event with everyone having to drive the same car, I've done very well. Spring Mountain Corvette School outside of Vegas, I was told by the chief instructor (Rick Malone) that I set the student lap record all 3 times I went out there for Level 1 ZR1 school, Level 2 school, and Level 3 school. Everyone drives stock Vettes. Then, at the Cadillac V-Performance Lab at COTA this past year, I set the autocross record in a stock ATS-V with over 400 participants who paid $995 (including me) going out there on Friday, Saturday ,and Sunday. I even beat the instructor reference lap time which they said hadn't happened before. They also said I would get something really cool and I got a Cadillac water bottle. haha.

The last thing is I'm going out to Thermal in California here in 3 weeks. BMW is flying me out since I won the autocross competition here in DFW at their BMW Ultimate Driver event with over 3,500 people competing over the 10 days they were here in DFW. Over 20,000 people in 7 different cities competed in this BMW promo event, free autocross, and paid driving school. 16 other people and me are participating in the finals at Thermal. They haven't mentioned prizes and I'm trying not to think about it, but if I do well, it could be pretty cool since they are spending so much money on this event. Maybe a BMW 320i lease for 2 years. haha. My flight, ground travel, hotel, and food are covered for me and a guest.

Anyway, I know the above is bragging, but I just had to tell somebody and some of you here in Car Talk are really cool and would appreciate it. I have been paid a grand total of zero dollars to drive in my life (and spent large sums), so none of the above matters really. I certainly don't talk about it in real life. The rest of you can pound sand.
The following 7 users liked this post by QUIKAG:
cbehney (02-02-2018), flexer (02-05-2018), fusionchickenleg (02-03-2018), HawkeyeGeoff (02-05-2018), JonBoy (02-02-2018), TrumpetTitan (02-12-2018), WolfpackS2k (02-02-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Don't make me blush, EG. Sounds like I owe you dinner next time around! haha. Man, I like talking cars and SOME people on here are some of the better guys on the internet to just chat cars. I don't talk about my car crap in person to hardly anyone except my close car friends. No one at work even knows I have a P-car and I won't tell anyone. Some know I have a Vette, but when they ask I just say it's a "old" 2010 Vette. I have my preferences, but I like all cool cars. Occasionally, I like defending cars I prefer, but it's just part of the fun internet debating.

Car driving is so subjective and I'm absolutely NOT a pro or even close to it like Bill, etc. The one time I'll say something since EG brought it up is that almost every single time I've been in an event with everyone having to drive the same car, I've done very well. Spring Mountain Corvette School outside of Vegas, I was told by the chief instructor (Rick Malone) that I set the student lap record all 3 times I went out there for Level 1 ZR1 school, Level 2 school, and Level 3 school. Everyone drives stock Vettes. Then, at the Cadillac V-Performance Lab at COTA this past year, I set the autocross record in a stock ATS-V with over 400 participants who paid $995 (including me) going out there on Friday, Saturday ,and Sunday. I even beat the instructor reference lap time which they said hadn't happened before. They also said I would get something really cool and I got a Cadillac water bottle. haha.

The last thing is I'm going out to Thermal in California here in 3 weeks. BMW is flying me out since I won the autocross competition here in DFW at their BMW Ultimate Driver event with over 3,500 people competing over the 10 days they were here in DFW. Over 20,000 people in 7 different cities competed in this BMW promo event, free autocross, and paid driving school. 16 other people and me are participating in the finals at Thermal. They haven't mentioned prizes and I'm trying not to think about it, but if I do well, it could be pretty cool since they are spending so much money on this event. Maybe a BMW 320i lease for 2 years. haha. My flight, ground travel, hotel, and food are covered for me and a guest.

Anyway, I know the above is bragging, but I just had to tell somebody and some of you here in Car Talk are really cool and would appreciate it. I have been paid a grand total of zero dollars to drive in my life (and spent large sums), so none of the above matters really. I certainly don't talk about it in real life. The rest of you can pound sand.
You seem like the dude we go to just to "pick up car parts from" but end up chatting for 7 hours and now it's 3am and you have work in 3 hours but it still happens anyways.

Good luck in Cali
The following 2 users liked this post by eight:
fusionchickenleg (02-03-2018), QUIKAG (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I finished top 31 at the Chevy auto-x event in Houston about ten years ago. The top 30 got to shoot it out for the big finals (grand prize was a Z51 Vette!) so I was the best of the losers.... I guess QUIKAG is faster than me, since he won for his entire area. But at least I'm not a prick.
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (02-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Ford GT ran a 2:38 at VIR grand new lap record.