Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

GTI Test Drive

Old 07-26-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTI Test Drive

With an 8 month old and only one four door car in the household, I've been contemplating trading the S for something more economical and practical. Within the past week, I've test driven a 2006 STI, a 2006 325i and a 2007 GTI. Oddly enough, despite the hp of the STI and refinement of the Bimmer, I really came away with an appreciation for the GTI.

For those who have not driven it, the car is a great little number. The turbo four has nice torque at lower revs and good hp numbers for this class. The interior is honestly up to par, if not BETTER, than the BMW. In fact, the interior is the best part of the car. The steering wheel is ripped right out of a Ferrari and the plastics, well the word "plastic" does it an injustice. Amazing quality for the $$$. The HID's are standard as are a host of other gizmos...which leads me to my one and only concern. Reliability.

VW has consistently performed below par on reliability, especially electrical gremlins that appear and disappear on a whim. Although I have never owned one, the statistics from several independent labs can not be denied. Go over to the Vortex boards and you are greeted with posts that would make a die-hard Honda fanboi cringe. Blown transmissions (from autocrossing!!!), busted coil packs, satellite radio issues, CEL issues, etc. Scary. That being said, I am sure that Honda buyers are simply spoiled due to the excellent reliability of our cars. Some of the issues that face the Dub are probably trivial, but a major PITA for someone not accustomed to going to the repair shop.

Frankly, the car is such a great package that its hard to argue against it despite the reliability concerns. Hell, that's what a warranty is for. I'm negotiating as I type this for a Candy White Package 1. Will it be as pure as the S2k. Never. Can't be. The S2000 is one of those rare cars that comes along that has its character filtered to its purest form. Absolute driving perfection. The best I can hope for is a fun car that can simultaneously act as a baby carrier, commuter, autocrosser and Home Depot Hauler. This is a lot to ask of one vehicle. However, the GTI seems up to the task. Hopefully those gremlins stay FAR away...
Old 07-26-2006, 06:06 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I catch myself giving admiring glances to the new GTI's I see around town. There are at least 3 of them in my work parking lot already.

I, too, am concerned about VAG reliability, that is one of the main considerations that would make me think twice or three times before throwing money down on a VW.

For that matter, not much press, but the new Passat seems pretty darn nice too. I would mind a 3.6 Passat or even the 2.0T Passat as a fun alternative to the Accord/Camry/Impala, but again reliability questions jump back into the equation...
Old 07-26-2006, 06:13 AM

As you are likely aware, the Jetta can also be bought with similar GTI performance, but with 4 doors/trunk. Of course the Civic Si 2-door and 4-door should be on your radar - cheaper/lighter/less luxiourious. My previous car was a Passat GLX and I had zero issues in 1 1/2 years, but the published reliability stats are aweful.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm with you guys. Most of the cars look great inside and out but the thought of poor reliability kills any possible chance of me buying one. I keep my cars a LONG time - usually at least to 200K miles - and reliability is of prime concern to me.

As a lease or short term vehicle, I wouldn't mind. The GTI should have good resale, I would imagine.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:47 AM

Well, Autoweek has a Audi A3 2.0T as a long-term car. They haven't had any issues with it yet. Its based on the same chassis as the GTi.

I have now 6,000+ miles on mine and haven't in terms of funkiness yet The ONE issue I've had with my car is that the XM Radio is constantly refreshing the station lists.

My family and I have owned several VWs in the past few years and find the complaints to be a little exagerated. The negatives will always scream louder than the positives.

I think the issue with coilpacks was a greater problem with the older MKIVs, and I think I've heard of one broken flywheel or something like that in a MKV, but don't remember the circumstance behind it.

For the record mine is a PKG 2 6MT w/NAV
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 AM
dmz

The only problem I have with the GTI is FWD. I just can't stand driving a FWD car.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dmz,Jul 26 2006, 12:51 PM
The only problem I have with the GTI is FWD. I just can't stand driving a FWD car.

My wife had an 03 Jetta and that thing stayed in the shop. Luckily it was a lease and she turned it in (not giving a crap about being a little upside down) and got an 05 Accord Ex coupe.

If you get one lease it man.Just a word of advise.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:05 AM

You're getting a GTI for practicality?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalicru,Jul 26 2006, 09:47 AM
Well, Autoweek has a Audi A3 2.0T as a long-term car. They haven't had any issues with it yet. Its based on the same chassis as the GTi.

I have now 6,000+ miles on mine and haven't in terms of funkiness yet The ONE issue I've had with my car is that the XM Radio is constantly refreshing the station lists.

My family and I have owned several VWs in the past few years and find the complaints to be a little exagerated. The negatives will always scream louder than the positives.

I think the issue with coilpacks was a greater problem with the older MKIVs, and I think I've heard of one broken flywheel or something like that in a MKV, but don't remember the circumstance behind it.

For the record mine is a PKG 2 6MT w/NAV
I really hope that VW can and maybe already has? turned the corner on their quality and reliability issues. I think a lot of the reputation has to come from their sourcing parts from subpar suppliers. Fit, finish, and interior quality was always good, but I think they took money they would have spent on better window motors, coil packs, assorted electronics and put the money into interior and overall perceived quality.

On the flip side, GM screws together pretty reliable cars overall (at least recently), but cuts corners on interior quality to put more money into other parts of the car and also to pay the UAW.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the grill on the GTI is one of the ugliest I've ever seen. I'd also not buy a VW for reliability. Sweet little car, though.

Try the Honda Si even though it looks like a kid's car. Or an underpowered acura TSX

Quick Reply: GTI Test Drive