Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Has the S2000 actually decreased your interest in cars?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the S2000 actually decreased your interest in cars?

It's been over a decade since this site was started and I've seen alot of members come and go while some come back.

I've always stayed on here because of the experiences that were shared by members present and past with the S2000 and from then on.

What I've always thought about is that the S2000 provides such a great driving experience that isn't too slow but isn't too fast for todays standards. Anything better you gotta really pay a pretty penny to get a similar driving experience.

With people getting older I've always wondered if people just decided to get out of the car scene because spending the money just wasn't worth it or just got out of wanting the experience just due to nothing could compare.

With new technologies it seems that Honda has been alot slower to adapt and people have moved onto different brands that don't even come close to the purpose the S2000 served. Looking back do people regret getting rid of it because they have to keep spending more and more money to feed their car addiction, or do people just get out of the car scene itself due to the price of admission now?

Looking for feedback,

Christople (Former S2k owner)
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM

I ended up going with more luxury, as I just found myself wanting a bit more than just speed as I got older. I hurt my lower back lifting, and my STI just killed me (was modded all to hell) and the S2000 was just hell to even get into. I took a baby step toward maturity with the IS-F, but for my next car I will probably go even softer. Hoping to stay around the performance of the IS-F though, but then again 6 years ago no one would have convinced me I would ever get rid of my STI. I think a lot will do with how much money I have - if I keep my current path and things are going smooth, I could imagine myself in a 2015 IS-F or a similar luxury/performance blend, definitely need back seats going forward though due to expanding family and not enough disposable income to have a non-practical car for 4.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM

In a sense yes, because I look at certain cars in a different way now. I am not interested in many sporty FWD/economy cars cars that I used to be enthusiastic about. I see these cars as having inherent design compromises and flaws. I know I sound like a snob but that's the way I see it.

But to add to the point, no I won't spend the money needed to get a RWD sports car that is a worthy upgrade in my eyes. I will go a different route and get a softer but still sporty car and not try to replace this car with a Cayman or something like that...
Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left the S2000 after my second one, and was away for 4 years, but I"m back now. Some of my friends have accused my of having automotive ADD in the past, but I think I'm cured now. Love trying new cars, but have incurring depreciation and taxes.

I'm planning to keep this S2000 till it's well worn and no longer suitable for track use. My other vehicles are long-term keepers as well. I still love cars, but am very satisfied w/ what I have now, and have no need to change as long as they keep serving me well. One thing that's changed is that getting frequent track time has diminished my enthusiasm for spirited street driving...now the vast majority of street miles are more or less transportation, and for that I don't need anything fancy, just comfortable and safe. The S2000 on the track and my KTM 250 XC in the dirt give me all the thrills I need.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Had my car for over 6 years and yes I think I'm spoiled with what it is. Why buy a more powerful car like a newer M3 or something when I can spend 5grand on a FI kit and be just as fast without the premium maintenance cost on labor and parts? Since I have my sport car fix seems I'm going backwards in time and looking into 1960s Chevy Pickup Trucks...rat rod ftw
Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 PM

A little bit, yes.

All things considered (including price) I really can't see enjoying a car as much as I enjoy driving the S2000. Anything more expensive just seems unattainable to me, and I've realized in my life how little I care about HP numbers or 0-60 times. I enjoy staying current on the latest news, but I don't see cars that I really *want* to have anymore.

Sure there are days when I cruise lotustalk to see if there are any good bargains on an Elise, but then I think about how I couldn't even use it to take a weekend trip, and would need to buy another car just to supplement it. No thanks.

Not gonna say the S2000 is the perfect car, but it is for me, right now. Hence: I don't really care what else is out there.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM

nice responses
Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Im just broke. Waiting til I graduate so I can pick up my dream car... Probably keep an S on the side anyway!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The S2000 hasn't decreased my interest in cars at all, but I have no inclination to get rid of the S just to get another car - the S2000 is too much fun. I originally bought it over a Boxster because it was everything the 04 Porsche was for a lot less money. Its a shame that Honda threw away its value in the S by killing it off, it was my first and likely last Honda car - Honda as a brand is extremely boring imo.

If I had to replace my S, I can see only two/three options for a fun sports car with decent utility: Boxster, Corvette, or possibly an Elise. The Porsche is the closest match and mirrors what I think a modern S2000 would be - light, 300 hp, storage, and enough room inside to enjoy. The Vette is bigger, the hatch offers utility, and its the hp/tq bang for the buck winner. The Lotus would be fun at the expense of utility, but at that point, you might as well just consider an MX-5. I want a convertible (targa at minimum), so many coupes are off the table for me.

On a side note, cars are just expensive now. Four years of inflation have caused prices to skyrocket and I don't think many cars on the market are worth what they are priced at - I'd rather stick with the older cars, which by the way have less stupid electronic nannies to boot.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Christople
What I've always thought about is that the S2000 provides such a great driving experience that isn't too slow but isn't too fast for todays standards. Anything better you gotta really pay a pretty penny to get a similar driving experience.
That's my view. It's why I still have the same S2000 after 120k miles and 12.5 years. Anything that would be a substantial upgrade over the s2k would cost significantly more (for new.)

With people getting older I've always wondered if people just decided to get out of the car scene because spending the money just wasn't worth it or just got out of wanting the experience just due to nothing could compare.
I'm eyeing BMWs for some increased luxury and practicality, but as a supplement to the S2000 not a replacement. (But if Honda came out next year with an AP3 S2000 with updated chassis and engine and other tweaks, I'd likely get it - assuming it was still as fun to drive as the AP1.)

Quick Reply: Has the S2000 actually decreased your interest in cars?