Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda Sports Vision - Gran Turismo

Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I'd prefer a manual but could live with DCT. Look at how quick the Audi TT-RS is with that kind of power and a DCT.
I understand the TT-RS is super quick with its DCT, I still keep going back to the fact that everything I read about that car is that it is super quick.........and pretty sterile. I am sure a lot of that has to do with the AWD, and I am just speaking from personal taste which probably does not represent the general buying public, but I want engaging. I want fun. If I am shelling out today's dollars for a performance car I want to really enjoy myself behind the wheel and if it was all about speed I'd just look at a Dodge Demon or even a Tesla Model S for that matter.

My Cayman is not a scorcher by today's standards, nor is it slow. But it still has way more than I can use in daily traffic anyway. That is why I have a Miata on a short list for the next addition. I don't know if it will win and there are other cars I am considering, but if a review of any Brand X new car is it does 0-60 in 3 seconds flat, has numb steering, no manual, but GREAT blutooth and infotainment, I could honestly care less.

I would have strongly considered a 4c over the Cayman I bought if it only came with a manual, creature comforts and infotainment be damned. I honestly think the reason you don't see many on the road is the dual clutch chases a lot of enthusiasts out. Although the vast majority of used 911's or Cayman's you find online are PDK so what do I know?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Not real = don't care.

Ask me again once there's a real car available at the dealerships.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I understand the TT-RS is super quick with its DCT, I still keep going back to the fact that everything I read about that car is that it is super quick.........and pretty sterile. I am sure a lot of that has to do with the AWD, and I am just speaking from personal taste which probably does not represent the general buying public, but I want engaging. I want fun. If I am shelling out today's dollars for a performance car I want to really enjoy myself behind the wheel and if it was all about speed I'd just look at a Dodge Demon or even a Tesla Model S for that matter.

My Cayman is not a scorcher by today's standards, nor is it slow. But it still has way more than I can use in daily traffic anyway. That is why I have a Miata on a short list for the next addition. I don't know if it will win and there are other cars I am considering, but if a review of any Brand X new car is it does 0-60 in 3 seconds flat, has numb steering, no manual, but GREAT blutooth and infotainment, I could honestly care less.

I would have strongly considered a 4c over the Cayman I bought if it only came with a manual, creature comforts and infotainment be damned. I honestly think the reason you don't see many on the road is the dual clutch chases a lot of enthusiasts out. Although the vast majority of used 911's or Cayman's you find online are PDK so what do I know?
the 4c chases away pontential buyers because it’s poorly built and designed, not because of transmission.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
the 4c chases away pontential buyers because it’s poorly built and designed, not because of transmission.

In my looking over a few of them and a quick drive I found neither to be the case. Nor have I read that as a complaint from any journalist in the many articles I read. It may have the Italian quality stigma, deserved or not, but nothing about the hand made carbon fiber car seemed poorly built or poorly designed in any way.

It is very small, hard to get in and out of much like an Elise, has very little cargo space and is auto only. All of which are fine reasons for someone to look elsewhere, but IMHO poorly designed and poorly built are unfair criticisms. They are drop dead stunning up close.

And secondly, I was in that market, I looked at that car, and the number one reason I decided to buy the Cayman instead was the transmission. No manual, no thank you. I liked the interior and comfort of the Cayman better, but DCT was a deal breaker. I also did not even consider a PDK car. If the S2000 had been DCT only, how many of us would have bought one? I would not have.

Last edited by vader1; 11-10-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Keep it simple, lightweight, and affordable. Civic Type R engine with a few tweaks for more power. Rear wheel drive with electronic limited slip diff. Black cloth interior with grey contrast stitching. And a little more legroom for people over 6'.

Type R model: 6 speed manual transmission, lightweight flywheel with heavy duty clutch, high flow exhaust system with tuned exhaust note, lightweight manual soft top, 19" forged lightweight wheels with sticky tires. Championship White, Black, Red.
Touring model: Paddle shift CVT transmission, electric soft top, quiet exhaust, 18" wheels with touring tires. Leather option. Metallic exterior colors.

Last edited by s2ka; 11-10-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ka
Keep it simple, lightweight, and affordable. Civic Type R engine with a few tweaks for more power. Rear wheel drive with electronic limited slip diff. Black cloth interior with grey contrast stitching. And a little more legroom for people over 6'.

Type R model: 6 speed manual transmission, lightweight flywheel with heavy duty clutch, high flow exhaust system with tuned exhaust note, lightweight manual soft top, 19" forged lightweight wheels with sticky tires. Championship White, Black, Red.
Premium model: Paddle shift CVT transmission, electric soft top, quiet exhaust, 18" wheels with touring tires. Leather option. Metallic exterior colors.
IMO, the Type R model should be oriented towards track times so should have a DCT, fixed fastback roof, extra aero bits for downforce,, and 18" wheels.
Type S (sport) should be the manual transmission version with a soft top and 18" wheels.
Type T (touring) should be hardtop convertible, DCT, extra sound insulation, softer motor mounts and suspension bushings, extra speakers, heated leather seats, 19" wheels.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Agreed. Don't put a CVT in it! They have an 8DCT already or even the new 10AT.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Honda's Baby NSX Emerges As Sports Vision Gran Turismo Concept
1982 lbs due to carbon fiber-intensive construction
2.0T with 400 hp
8spd DCT
First thing that sprung to mind is the Alfa Romeo 4C (maybe because of the CF tub) which weighs 2500 lb and has a "laggy" 237HP Turbo engine, but nevertheless is supposedly a very engaging car (never driven one). So a weight of 2800-2900 lb is more realistic and depending on the technology; and if it was RWD I think between $60 and $80K is reasonable IMO.

Originally Posted by vader1
^^This x10. I don't think it's just from the AWD.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
I would disagree with this. 4C is well built with the nicest switch gear I have seen in an Alfa. Maserati actually builds the car. The 4C doesn't sell so much because it's a 70k toy with zero utility by a manufacturer with the little dealership presence in the States. Only the die hard Alfa fans are buying them and most of that type are not afraid of wrenching themselves. Alfa may sell more 4C next year + than they have as additional dealerships open and more consumers re-familiarize themselves with the marque.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

The ten year older me says this car is having a hard time selling because it's actually priced closer to a normal 911 so the Cayman consumers didn't budge, civic type r people are priced out, the mid engine corvette is whooping everything in its price segment and this car isn't as fast as that but it has a better panel gap fitment and colder ac, but Honda stopped the development halfway to implement a flux capacitor that didn't make it any faster than its competition but it's the first in house version of it at that price point therefore we should buy it. Oh and it didn't have the type r motor because by then it didn't meet emissions.

Anyway if Honda made an Alfa 4c which is what this pretty much is it'd be a runaway success if they keep the mechanical familiar. I'd rather have stick but if that's the sticking, pun, point then so be it. Considering the 4c starts at 55900, is expect the Honda to be a wee bit cheaper, yeah I'd definitely consider one. Additionally I'd love it to have some level of exotic appeal like the 4c or Cayman, but id be totally ok if they made it more tame looking in the interest of some level of practicality like making it have a useable hatch.

Quick Reply: Honda Sports Vision - Gran Turismo