Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Honda and the "Wonder Weld" innovation

Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Honda and the "Wonder Weld" innovation

I am more interested in talking about the new type of motor car that we may be driving in soon...
If anyone else has some informed input then by all means post up. Honda could be on to something here in new car manufacturing.

Mods delete or move this post if you so think....

http://pro.portphillippublishing.com...=MC&g=0&h=true

Should have Googled some more before I posted, none the less interesting developments Honda are making.

http://world.honda.com/news/2012/412...ex.html?from=r
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

It would be a great innovation if fastening the two metals was the only issue.

Aluminum has twice the thermal expansion coefficient of steel. That means that if there is any significant length to the weld, it's going to eventually crack from fatigue due to thermal cycling.

Any joint between steel and aluminum has to be very well protected from the environment. A standard E-coat, primer, base coat and topcoat won't be enough to protect from galvanic corrosion. I'm sure Honda has addressed this, but it isn't a simple fix.

And aluminum welds aren't exactly high strength. The heat-affected zone of the aluminum is going to be quite soft. The part would have to be designed so that area isn't exposed to heavy loads.

Personally, I'd rather see chassis components like this efficiently designed with Advanced High Strength Steels.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xoz
I am more interested in talking about the new type of motor car that we may be driving in soon...
If anyone else has some informed input then by all means post up. Honda could be on to something here in new car manufacturing.

Mods delete or move this post if you so think....

http://pro.portphillippublishing.com...=MC&g=0&h=true

Should have Googled some more before I posted, none the less interesting developments Honda are making.

http://world.honda.com/news/2012/412...ex.html?from=r
The first link seems to be a scam. I got one of those "are you sure you want to leave" pop ups when I tried to close it. Friction stir welding isn't exactly new though it hasn't been used that much on cars. The guy who invented it is finding the patents to be hard to enforce which is unfortunate for him. I know several people who are experts in the area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction_stir_welding
Old 11-02-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44

Aluminum has twice the thermal expansion coefficient of steel. That means that if there is any significant length to the weld, it's going to eventually crack from fatigue due to thermal cycling.

Any joint between steel and aluminum has to be very well protected from the environment. A standard E-coat, primer, base coat and topcoat won't be enough to protect from galvanic corrosion. I'm sure Honda has addressed this, but it isn't a simple fix.

And aluminum welds aren't exactly high strength. The heat-affected zone of the aluminum is going to be quite soft. The part would have to be designed so that area isn't exposed to heavy loads.

Personally, I'd rather see chassis components like this efficiently designed with Advanced High Strength Steels.
While conventional "friction welding" is not designed for structural applications, the "friction stir welding" is. The stirring probe is actually a different, harder material than the steel and aluminum which are being joined together, creating a stronger bond. There is no heat applied during the process, and no heat is generated between the pieces being joined. So thermal expansion is not an issue.

Honda is actually using this in a structural application, and as far as I know the 2013 Accord, which uses this technology, passes the crash tests with flying colours. I think they have figured it out.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Write the guys at Honda they probably don't know any of this.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

^hahaha.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
They know this. I'm sure they've done their homework. My point is that just because two metals can be joined together doesn't mean that it will be extensively used. There will be applications that are worth doing this.

Relatively short welds that can be well protected from the elements whose strength at the weld isn't critical can be used safely if tested well. The design engineers can model these parameters to see if it's appropriate to allow a joint like this.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1383441096' post='22859016
They know this. I'm sure they've done their homework. My point is that just because two metals can be joined together doesn't mean that it will be extensively used. There will be applications that are worth doing this.

Relatively short welds that can be well protected from the elements whose strength at the weld isn't critical can be used safely if tested well. The design engineers can model these parameters to see if it's appropriate to allow a joint like this.
I was being sarcastic because you wrote as if the team at Honda had no clue what they were doing or that in their oversight might build a structure that wouldn't got the 250,000 miles they typically do.

FYI I see a lot of aluminum welding that doesn't just 'fail' due to the heat involved in the welding process.