Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is Hyundai the new Honda?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Is Hyundai the new Honda?

http://blogs.motortrend.com/trading-...nda-18381.html

Interesting thought - has Hyundai really stepped into Honda's old role as the hungry innovator?

Growing up in Southern California in the 1980s, I used to ride along with my parents, staring out the car window and trying to spot the coolest automobiles the world had to offer. All the best wheels came to SoCal, from Ferrari 328s and Porsche Turbos to Lotus Esprits and BMW M1s. The cars that really grabbed me, though, were the ones I believed I could purchase by the time I had a license: the Toyota Corolla GTS, Volkswagen GTI, and Honda CRX and Prelude.
I wanted Hondas the most, because, as I read in such magazines as Motor Trend, they offered the best blend of technology, reliability, and affordability. The CRX Si won MT’s 1988 Import Car of the Year with its mix of 16-valve aluminum engine, four-wheel independent suspension, and $10,195 price tag. “The most exhilarating ride you’ll find this side of a formula racer,” MT wrote. The ’88 ICOY runner-up, the Prelude Si 4WS, the first production car to offer four-wheel steering, was another Honda I coveted. Honda was a pioneer, and every car enthusiast knew it.

Every car enthusiast also knew that Hyundai, which released its first U.S.-market car, the Excel, for 1988, was the opposite of a pioneer — a follower. The perception of many was that Hyundai was a Honda copycat: “Hyundai” looked and sounded somewhat similar to “Honda,” and it, too, used an H badge. Hondas were high-quality and fun to drive, and Hyundais were, um, not.

In the 1990s and into the 2000s, Honda remained a forerunner. It introduced titanium connecting rods and VTEC variable valve timing in the Acura NSX. The Integra Type-R, the poor man’s NSX, offered a handbuilt I-4 with 108 hp per liter, unheard of for the day. And the Legend was the first near-luxury car to alert Europe that Japan was serious about upscale autos. As H-badged Hondas, Civics, Accords, and Preludes got VTEC, the Insight introduced Americans to the hybrid, and the S2000 afforded speed junkies the feeling of a MotoGP bike in a car.

Since then, Hyundai, somewhat under the radar, has steadily improved the quality of its growing lineup, building cars that are as reliable and often rewarding as they are affordable. Over the last few years, specifically, while Honda has lifted off the trailblazing throttle, Hyundai has put its pioneering foot to the floor. For instance, Honda currently tops out at a six-speed automatic. Hyundai? Eight. Honda offers not one car with a direct-injected engine. Hyundai? Seven (and counting). The most luxurious Honda, the Acura RL, pales next to the amenities and power of Hyundai’s Genesis and Equus. Hyundai satisfies rear-drive sports-car fiends with the Genesis Coupe. Honda? Not so much. Honda’s tiny CR-Z Hybrid (34 mpg combined) barely surpasses the fuel economy of the comparably sized Veloster (32), which is devoid of any hybrid wizardry. What the Veloster isn’t devoid of, however, is a dual-clutch transmission, that sporty tech piece adopted by Audi, BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche. And now Hyundai. But not Honda.

Hyundai still has a ways to go, especially in terms of chassis dynamics, but the perception and reality of the brand have changed. When looking to the future, I wouldn’t be surprised to see an H badge leading the way — just not the one I adored as a kid.

Illustration: Doug Fraser

Ron Kiino on October 28 2011 6:00 AM

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/trading-...#ixzz1cwwQvd3m
Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai the new Honda? Maybe in the sales department, but not in the innovation or sporting departments. When Hyundai dominates in MotoGP, competes somewhat successfully (in the past) in F1, produces engines for IRL (IndyCar), is consistently on top (or near the top) on every list of reliability and dependability test/survey, etc., then it may be compared to Honda.

P.S. Not to mention that Honda is the world's largest internal combustion engines producer, and an aircraft producer as well. Hyundai does produce ships and whatnot; so therefore, Hyundai is Hyundai, and Honda is Honda.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme
Hyundai the new Honda? Maybe in the sales department, but not in the innovation or sporting departments. When Hyundai dominates in MotoGP, competes somewhat successfully (in the past) in F1, produces engines for IRL (IndyCar), is consistently on top (or near the top) on every list of reliability and dependability test/survey, etc., then it may be compared to Honda.

P.S. Not to mention that Honda is the world's largest internal combustion engines producer, and an aircraft producer as well. Hyundai does produce ships and whatnot; so therefore, Hyundai is Hyundai, and Honda is Honda.

fanboi, maybe? I completely see the point of this article. They're not saying Hyundai is going to replace Honda in everything. They're simply stating where Honda HAS lost their mojo(production, street cars), Hyundai is in it's own right now carrying the torch. Hyundai has a vehicle in Pretty much every vehicle class that, if I were in the market for a New car, I'd pick over pretty much any comparable Honda, AND Hyundai has gone as far as to be my top pick for many class of vehicle among ALL competitors. Has Hyundai made a vehicle to replace the CRX? No. But neither has Honda. S2000? No. But they've gotten a whole lot closer than anything Honda is showing us since the S's demise. Now in my opinion, Hyundai makes a sports(GT) car. The Gen Coupe. Honda Doesn't. Hyundai has my vote on sporty, fun little thing. The veloster DESTROYS the CRZ in every sense I can think of in terms of potential fun(Note, I haven't driven either). I'd take a Genesis Sedan over The Acura TL any day of the week. These are meant to be luxury sedans. The Genesis looks classy. The TL looks..... weird. Ultra-Luxury, Equus(albeit the WORST name ever) DESTROYS the RL in every single sense, and I've been in both. Small sedan, same story. Mid-size sedan, same story. Minivan, OK that's a tick for Honda.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 AM

I would have finished my post better but I gotta poop.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stauren1203
I would have finished my post better but I gotta poop.
just need a laptop. can post AND poop.

edit: oh, and I should add......ACR!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steponme

Hyundai as a corporate whole could eat little Honda and all their internal combustion engines for lunch. The Honda Jet has not yet met certification and remains proof of concept, it has been delayed once again until at least the back half of 2012. The HF120 power plant failed an on-ground ice ingestion test resulting in needed design changes. The VLJ market is struggling and many say dying amidst the current global economic conditions. Piper just axed their VLJ, Eclipse filed for Chapter 11 several years ago, Diamond and Cirrus also had intentions of bringing a VLJ to the market. Perhaps Honda will have their certified aircraft ready for the funeral. And will the Honda Jet really compete with Cessna and the only successful line of VLJ's in the CJ ?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Just focusing on the automotive aspects, its interesting to see how Hyundai mirrors Honda in its growth and rise. I also like how the author points out how Hyundai is doing more with its lineup than Honda is, embracing more new technologies, and building more diversity and, sports cars, into its lineup.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 PM

don't be surprise if any day came with a 250hp, 2,700lbs roadster.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree - no matter what car I was in the market for I would likely choose the Hyundai over the Honda counterpart. Honda really has just lost their way while Hyundai keeps improving.

I know it can take a while to get new stuff to the market but I still ask myself, does Honda care that Hyundai seems to be taking their reigns??
Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
Originally Posted by Steponme' timestamp='1320605411' post='21133165

Hyundai as a corporate whole could eat little Honda and all their internal combustion engines for lunch. The Honda Jet has not yet met certification and remains proof of concept, it has been delayed once again until at least the back halfway of 2012. The HF120 power plant failed an on-ground ice ingestion test resulting in needed design changes. The VLJ market is struggling and many say dying amidst the current global economic conditions. Piper just axed their VLJ, Eclipse filed for Chapter 11 several years ago, Diamond and Cirrus also had intentions of bringing a VLJ to the market. Perhaps Honda will have their certified aircraft ready for the funeral. And will the Honda Jet really compete with Cessna and the only successful line of VLJ's in the CJ ?
Hyundai eat little Honda? Last I recall Honda was the largest engine manufacturer in the world. Last I reacll the accord was the fastest selling car on the world. Little Honda? You mean little Hyundai? There are second largest auto maker fro Japan. They out sell Hyundai with ease, where are you getting this from?

Quick Reply: Is Hyundai the new Honda?