Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is Hyundai the new Honda?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really get it.
First the article makes a point that Honda used to innovate and listed a number of areas where they innovated.

Then it goes on to say how Hyundai is current and Honda is not.

Sorry, but being current and up-to-date has nothing to do with innovating...this article offers zero evidence that hyundai has ever innovated at all whatsoever. It started as a copier, and it is still a copier...it just does it upscale relative to the past.

Article = weak
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I can see that side of the arguement but at the very least hyundai is using newer technology and they are making a point to compete with other brands where Honda seems to be complacent. Like the article points out Honda has no sports oriented car, their luxury line is terrible and outdated, the Crz is a failure as both a sport compact and as a hybrid, and all the while they have all the technology at the finger tips to destroy Hyundai and the rest of the japanese brands for that matter. Where both Nissan and Toyota are making efforts to expand the line Honda has added little to its line up. Nissan has the Z cars and the GTR, Toyota has the upcoming BRZ, ISF, and LFA, none of which Honda has an answer for. Hyundai has the gen coupe, veloster, sonata, Equus, and Gen sedan which are all better value than the Honda competators and I think nicer looking cars (still not sure about the whole 3 door thing but maybe).

Case in point Honda seems to be frozen in time and while they could be producing cars with current technology done the Honda way which almost always means the better way. I think they have always viewed companies like Hyundai with the thinking that they would never catch up to Honda but they have. Honda needs to remember that they were once viewed the same way and it drove them to produce great cars that changed the automotive world. Complacent is the best word I can use for Honda's current state and that is never a good thing for any company to be when you have hungry competitors that have been trying to surpass you for the last 20+ years.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by LUV2REV' timestamp='1320623818' post='21133678
[quote name='Steponme' timestamp='1320605411' post='21133165']
Hyundai the new Honda? Maybe in the sales department, but not in the innovation or sporting departments. When Hyundai dominates in MotoGP, competes somewhat successfully (in the past) in F1, produces engines for IRL (IndyCar), is consistently on top (or near the top) on every list of reliability and dependability test/survey, etc., then it may be compared to Honda.

P.S. Not to mention that Honda is the world's largest internal combustion engines producer, and an aircraft producer as well. Hyundai does produce ships and whatnot; so therefore, Hyundai is Hyundai, and Honda is Honda.
Hyundai as a corporate whole could eat little Honda and all their internal combustion engines for lunch. The Honda Jet has not yet met certification and remains proof of concept, it has been delayed once again until at least the back halfway of 2012. The HF120 power plant failed an on-ground ice ingestion test resulting in needed design changes. The VLJ market is struggling and many say dying amidst the current global economic conditions. Piper just axed their VLJ, Eclipse filed for Chapter 11 several years ago, Diamond and Cirrus also had intentions of bringing a VLJ to the market. Perhaps Honda will have their certified aircraft ready for the funeral. And will the Honda Jet really compete with Cessna and the only successful line of VLJ's in the CJ ?
Hyundai eat little Honda? Last I recall Honda was the largest engine manufacturer in the world. Last I reacll the accord was the fastest selling car on the world. Little Honda? You mean little Hyundai? There are second largest auto maker fro Japan. They out sell Hyundai with ease, where are you getting this from?
[/quote]

Uh, did you read my post ? I stated Hyundai as a corporate whole is much larger and much more diversified than Honda and could easily absorb the Honda company. Hyundai builds ships, subway cars amongst a bunch of other things. Global Honda is really quite small compared to the Hyundai corporation. Yes, Honda may sell more cars than Hyundai (that is quickly changing) but Hyundai is a much larger company with far more assets.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by LUV2REV' timestamp='1320623818' post='21133678
[quote name='Steponme' timestamp='1320605411' post='21133165']
Hyundai the new Honda? Maybe in the sales department, but not in the innovation or sporting departments. When Hyundai dominates in MotoGP, competes somewhat successfully (in the past) in F1, produces engines for IRL (IndyCar), is consistently on top (or near the top) on every list of reliability and dependability test/survey, etc., then it may be compared to Honda.

P.S. Not to mention that Honda is the world's largest internal combustion engines producer, and an aircraft producer as well. Hyundai does produce ships and whatnot; so therefore, Hyundai is Hyundai, and Honda is Honda.
Hyundai as a corporate whole could eat little Honda and all their internal combustion engines for lunch. The Honda Jet has not yet met certification and remains proof of concept, it has been delayed once again until at least the back halfway of 2012. The HF120 power plant failed an on-ground ice ingestion test resulting in needed design changes. The VLJ market is struggling and many say dying amidst the current global economic conditions. Piper just axed their VLJ, Eclipse filed for Chapter 11 several years ago, Diamond and Cirrus also had intentions of bringing a VLJ to the market. Perhaps Honda will have their certified aircraft ready for the funeral. And will the Honda Jet really compete with Cessna and the only successful line of VLJ's in the CJ ?
Hyundai eat little Honda? Last I recall Honda was the largest engine manufacturer in the world. Last I reacll the accord was the fastest selling car on the world. Little Honda? You mean little Hyundai? There are second largest auto maker fro Japan. They out sell Hyundai with ease, where are you getting this from?
[/quote]

Your not comparing apples to apples. Hyundai as a corporate, which is Hyundai group, also includes Hyundai motor company along with many many other subsidiaries. The previous poster mentions Hyundai as a whole...get your facts straight and learn to read. Better yet learn to comprehend what you read.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I can see that side of the arguement but at the very least hyundai is using newer technology and they are making a point to compete with other brands where Honda seems to be complacent. Like the article points out Honda has no sports oriented car, their luxury line is terrible and outdated, the Crz is a failure as both a sport compact and as a hybrid, and all the while they have all the technology at the finger tips to destroy Hyundai and the rest of the japanese brands for that matter. Where both Nissan and Toyota are making efforts to expand the line Honda has added little to its line up. Nissan has the Z cars and the GTR, Toyota has the upcoming BRZ, ISF, and LFA, none of which Honda has an answer for. Hyundai has the gen coupe, veloster, sonata, Equus, and Gen sedan which are all better value than the Honda competators and I think nicer looking cars (still not sure about the whole 3 door thing but maybe).

Case in point Honda seems to be frozen in time and while they could be producing cars with current technology done the Honda way which almost always means the better way. I think they have always viewed companies like Hyundai with the thinking that they would never catch up to Honda but they have. Honda needs to remember that they were once viewed the same way and it drove them to produce great cars that changed the automotive world. Complacent is the best word I can use for Honda's current state and that is never a good thing for any company to be when you have hungry competitors that have been trying to surpass you for the last 20+ years.
The BRZ is a Subaru. Toyota's version is the FR-S and FT-86.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by stauren1203' timestamp='1320608957' post='21133243
I would have finished my post better but I gotta poop.
just need a laptop. can post AND poop.

edit: oh, and I should add......ACR!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by SojuSoulja
comparing apples to apples. Hyundai as a corporate, which is Hyundai group, also includes Hyundai motor company along with many many other subsidiaries. The previous poster mentions Hyundai as a whole...get your facts straight and learn to read. Better yet learn to comprehend what you read.
I read (and comprehended) the original post, but I'm wondering if there's any data supporting that assertion[?] I see the non-automotive part of Hyundai is an $80B (US) which includes the finance divisions, shipping/logistics, etc., and the automotive unit being another ~$33B. Honda (as in the parent/holding company) indicates $107B revenue.

I also wanted to mention that s2kpdx01 owns a Viper ACR.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by [DT
;21135880]I also wanted to mention that s2kpdx01 owns a Viper ACR.
I just wish we knew whether the ACR is set up for understeer or oversteer from the factory.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dombey
I don't really get it.
First the article makes a point that Honda used to innovate and listed a number of areas where they innovated.

Then it goes on to say how Hyundai is current and Honda is not.

Sorry, but being current and up-to-date has nothing to do with innovating...this article offers zero evidence that hyundai has ever innovated at all whatsoever. It started as a copier, and it is still a copier...it just does it upscale relative to the past.

Article = weak
This is what my post referred to. Hyundai has not "innovated" a thing, as the article mentions innovations. Honda was the first to produce an assembly-line hybrid hydrogen fuel cell vehicle (Clarity), purpose-built natural gas vehicle (Civic GX), and the first to launch a hybrid electric vehicle (Insight) in the U.S. What has Hyundai done that could match the level of Honda's innovations? Honda still rules the dependability surveys, per the latest JD Power's list. Hyundai has a long way to go.

As for the post who said "destroy" this and that, please! That's just a subjective argument.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbehney
Originally Posted by [DT
' timestamp='1320694192' post='21135880]
I also wanted to mention that s2kpdx01 owns a Viper ACR.
I just wish we knew whether the ACR is set up for understeer or oversteer from the factory.
Clearly oversteer.

Quick Reply: Is Hyundai the new Honda?