Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I hate em too, but another Ring time thread GT3 RS

Old 04-24-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I would take a manual. Do the few extra tenths of a second matter outside of a competitive context? The fact that the manual is dying is more reason NOT to embrace PDK/DCT now. Most manuals allow flat-foot shifting anyway, so keeping the boost up shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint

Manual is dying. Best to embrace PDK/DCT now.

If i cant afford to keep the GT4 i will likely keep the CR for that manual fix.
That would be the wrong choice financially. If manuals die, manual Porsches and Ferraris and the like will surge in value. It has happened to some extent already. On the used market, manual Porsches are hard to find and command more money. Special edition manuals will surge even more so.

I spent a little less than $60k on my car used and I told my wife when I bought it, 15 years from now, I won't be surprised if I can get not too much less than I paid and I am really not kidding. Niche cult cars hold value (I paid $21k for my S2000 and sold it 12 years later for $17k) and when manuals are gone, people will want them even more.

For me personally, I will always have at least one manual car and looking to ditch the Bimmer for one in the not so distant future. If I had a PDK Cayman S sure I could be quicker on the street, but I am risking my license daily when I drive that thing in its puny 320hp manual configuration as it is. I don't need any more tenths of a second in traffic.

As much of a "save the manuals" guy that I am, I'd like to save the handbrake too. These little electric emergency brakes with a switch under the dash are terrible.

Last edited by vader1; 04-24-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If I plan on taking a car to a track a lot I'd go with the PDK.
If I plan on only using it on the street I'd go with a manual.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Im all for fun but the GT4 is already a manual and it's the most fun car i've owned. My GT3 doesn't need to be a manual. The car truly benefits from a PDK transmission.

Don't knock it till you try it.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
If I plan on taking a car to a track a lot I'd go with the PDK.
If I plan on only using it on the street I'd go with a manual.
Same. I was amazed by the PDK in the new C2S I drove at the Porsche Experience Center last month, but I would get bored on the street.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
I would take a manual. Do the few extra tenths of a second matter outside of a competitive context? The fact that the manual is dying is more reason NOT to embrace PDK/DCT now. Most manuals allow flat-foot shifting anyway, so keeping the boost up shouldn't be a problem.
Yep! Last month some dude on Rennlist ran a 991.2 Turbo S from a roll in his 991.2 GT3 manual - he flat foot shifted (very quickly) and the GT3 actually edged out the Turbo S slightly - just incredible how the GT3 is punching above its weight class with its seemingly not-so-crazy specs on paper. Of course from a dig the Turbo S dominated

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...roll-race.html
Old 04-25-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I have been financially planning on getting into a P-car for a few years now and I think if I were to go with the GT3 it would be too fast to be a manual, at least for me. I plan on taking it to the track as I do my S2K and I'd rather not worry about heeltoe in a car like that.

I wish there was the option to drive both and see which I prefer.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Just over here waiting for the new C7 ZR1 to run the ring....
Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Got a bit dizzy, watching in full screen & HD. Awesome video. Lots of hand cranking. Nice reflexes.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
I have been financially planning on getting into a P-car for a few years now and I think if I were to go with the GT3 it would be too fast to be a manual, at least for me. I plan on taking it to the track as I do my S2K and I'd rather not worry about heeltoe in a car like that.

I wish there was the option to drive both and see which I prefer.
Check out the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta and test it out yourself before making your decision.

Quick Reply: I hate em too, but another Ring time thread GT3 RS