Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I hate Hyandai..But

Old 03-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jetrep
Why do you hate Hyundai? I hate Honda because they don't make an S2000. Not really but that makes more sense than hating Hyundai.

It sounds like Hyundai doesn't intend to make this car but it's a shame. It looks good and Hyundai is heading in a great direction with what they've been doing to make more fun to drive cars.
Because I've owned multiple products with the Theta II motor and have 7 engine failures under warranty between them all... So I hate Hyundai. lol
Old 03-20-2019, 10:38 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Nope, not unless you can beat the Miata with more power for the same money (or barely any more money). Mazda uses a corporate engine (more or less) for the Miata and they have a model life of 10 years between the NC and ND models (same as the S2000s overall lifespan). That allows them to spread out their costs for the "one-off" chassis while using an engine that is virtually identical to their mainstream vehicles. That's how Ford and Chevy make the Mustang and Camaro so powerful for so cheap - use what you have already in the business and let volume be your friend (especially for the higher-cost parts, like the drivetrain).

There are a ton of existing 1.5L to 2.0L turbo motors out there that can easily bring the kind of power we want (200-300 hp) in a RWD convertible. However, you need a RWD chassis for it and most of those in existence are for sedans, which doesn't translate well to the tidy proportions of a small, lightweight roadster. So, they need a custom chassis design, and that's a "waste" of investment dollars because it can't really be used for anything else.

Honda has a 205 hp 1.5L (Civic Si). They have a 250-305hp 2.0L (Accord, RDX, CTR). They still have a 3.5L V6 making as much as 300 hp (give or take - Acura TLX/MDX, etc) and they have a new 3.0TT motor (Acura) coming that can easily push 350+ hp any time they want. The drivetrain is the easy part. It's the chassis that is the issue and Honda doesn't have one. The S660 is too small and can't handle the power, apparently...

Hyundai and Kia have RWD platforms but they're all for relatively long-wheelbase sedans.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:21 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

i think it looks kind of goofy, but if anyone is going to build an S2000 these days, it will be Hyundai - stick their 300hp NA engine in and sell it at a great price.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

oh hell yes that looks good! I suppose they could use a shortened RWD G70 chassis- and it already has a manual shift available.

does Hyundai have the balls to build a low volume car like this? I don't know, but I would put one in my garage.

Thanks for the post.
darcy
Old 03-23-2019, 04:48 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Is it just me or does Hyundai rip off all of the exterior designs from Honda and other makes ? It seems like every car they make is a rip off of some other vehicle, Kia seems to be the same way too.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:31 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
oh hell yes that looks good! I suppose they could use a shortened RWD G70 chassis- and it already has a manual shift available.

does Hyundai have the balls to build a low volume car like this? I don't know, but I would put one in my garage.

Thanks for the post.
darcy
I totally would as well. I don't know if they have the balls, but I am hoping they do.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Is it just me or does Hyundai rip off all of the exterior designs from Honda and other makes ? It seems like every car they make is a rip off of some other vehicle, Kia seems to be the same way too.
You can thank KIA designer Peter Schreyer, formerly an Audi Designer. pretty much all 2006-2013 KIA have Audi like taillights and body lines
Old 03-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Right because every other car is a complete original design.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Btw what's s hyandai?
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Right because every other car is a complete original design.
I think so yes, I don't see too much of other cars in the Honda designs. But that is just my opinion.

I recall the earlier Kia luxury sedans that looked a lot like Jaguars, it was too funny.

Hyundai has copied a lot of Mercedes in some of their designs, I'm sure they all do it to some extent, but some are more blatant than others.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I think so yes, I don't see too much of other cars in the Honda designs. But that is just my opinion.

I recall the earlier Kia luxury sedans that looked a lot like Jaguars, it was too funny.

Hyundai has copied a lot of Mercedes in some of their designs, I'm sure they all do it to some extent, but some are more blatant than others.
Yes, there is a reason you don’t see the Civic copied in other cars
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (03-25-2019)

Quick Reply: I hate Hyandai..But