Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Impulse buy

Old 02-05-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Man you'll love it. Peak HP/TQ, meh, it's under the curve where it counts. You'll gain so much torque in the middle of the curve it's like driving a different car. Once that thing is tuned with your bolt ons, man wait for a hard rain and take it out in that. The wet weather performance is astounding. I'd be highway driving, hauling the mail, and I cannot count the expensive rides that would try to keep up with that thing in weather. It'd leave most everything for dead in inclement weather. So much traction. I'll buy another RWD car soon but the AWD is where the heart is for me. So nice having something fast in all weather conditions.
what year is yours ? Do you still own it? I noticed you refer to it in past tense .
Old 02-06-2018, 08:00 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
what year is yours ? Do you still own it? I noticed you refer to it in past tense .
2008 Hatch. Same motor as yours. I sold it in 2012 and regretted it until last year when I picked up a RS. But I sold it for the right reasons. Put the money into the house and bought another bike for the fleet. I waited, and saved 5 years for a new hatch STi that never came so last year went with the RS. That STi, and all the rain we get here sold me on AWD for good. It's my preferred drivetrain now. You've got the bolt ons and tune nailed down so it's just Bilsteins and some sways and your call will be dialed. If I knew that Subaru would not make another 5 door STi I would have kept it, built the motor and put a larger turbo on it. These AWD performance machines are beasts in all the rain we get here. True 4 season performance machine with season appropriate tires.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 PM

2008 Hatch. Same motor as yours. I sold it in 2012 and regretted it until last year when I picked up a RS. But I sold it for the right reasons. Put the money into the house and bought another bike for the fleet. I waited, and saved 5 years for a new hatch STi that never came so last year went with the RS. That STi, and all the rain we get here sold me on AWD for good. It's my preferred drivetrain now. You've got the bolt ons and tune nailed down so it's just Bilsteins and some sways and your call will be dialed. If I knew that Subaru would not make another 5 door STi I would have kept it, built the motor and put a larger turbo on it. These AWD performance machines are beasts in all the rain we get here. True 4 season performance machine with season appropriate tires.
what yr is the rs?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I also had a 2008 STI hatch. That car took a beating like no other and was dead reliable. I wouldn't even be concerned with the ring land scare. If the car is properly tuned it is not really an issue.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:38 AM

what yr is the rs?
Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 PM

wait a minute . So your talking about a focus RS?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Evans dyno puts out much higher numbers than anyone else, so this makes more sense. He might be able to hit 300 on that dyno
Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM

wait a minute . So your talking about a focus RS?
Yes. Sold my STi in 2012. I stupidly thought the all new one (2015/VA) would have a new engine and new hatch. No, and no. I loved the car, but wanted a new DIT. Got past that, and the new Golf R and RS came out. Drove both, and it took 9 months to find a deal on a RS. It took one ten minute drive and some turns. The GKN AWD system is incredible. Very pleased. As soon as Ford is done with the recall on my car, I'll be buying some parts and tuning it. I'm waiting on Tractive dampers first though. DSC is working on them now in conjunction with their DSC controller. Gonna be a blast to mod it and get it where I want. The chassis is really damn good. I would have rather had a new Boobaru but they punted on the hatches altogether. Here was my thread I made when I bought it.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk...us-rs-1170070/

And I still love Cosmos's comments on the car.

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Nice bring it out to the track. I had a chance to hoon a friend's RS at MSR-C on the 1.3 and it was one of the most fun sessions I've ever had on track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOnCE2sc_E8
​​​​​​​
Old 02-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Yes. Sold my STi in 2012. I stupidly thought the all new one (2015/VA) would have a new engine and new hatch. No, and no. I loved the car, but wanted a new DIT. Got past that, and the new Golf R and RS came out. Drove both, and it took 9 months to find a deal on a RS. It took one ten minute drive and some turns. The GKN AWD system is incredible. Very pleased. As soon as Ford is done with the recall on my car, I'll be buying some parts and tuning it. I'm waiting on Tractive dampers first though. DSC is working on them now in conjunction with their DSC controller. Gonna be a blast to mod it and get it where I want. The chassis is really damn good. I would have rather had a new Boobaru but they punted on the hatches altogether. Here was my thread I made when I bought it.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-talk...us-rs-1170070/

And I still love Cosmos's comments on the car.

this whole time I thought u were talking about a Subaru 2.5 RS. Haha. Stupid me
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Our experience:
Our 2017 STI, (fully loaded but not a Limited) was also an impulse buy, but sold it 1 year later. It was my wife's daily, and she had always wanted an STI, but I wonder if we should have kept it. It sure had power in the midrange, but I wish it had a larger turbo. The power kind of falls off near the top, which was a bit disappointing to me. Seems like from this thread the Stage 2 mods seem to help.
I wanted a Focus RS instead of the STI, but the wife didn't want a hatch.

I wonder if I'd feel differently about it if I'd bought one years ago, when 300hp was a crapload.

We ended up picking up a Cayman S, and it's far more fun as a daily. Oh well, at least that's one more car off the bucket list though.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.

Quick Reply: Impulse buy