Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Ish. New Accord

Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Yep 306hp like the current CTR, but with the old body styling in sleeper mode. Make it look like the 2017 Honda Accord Sport, delete the chrome junk, and put the 2.0L turbo 4 with 306hp in it with no visual badges. Then nice leather interior and call it a day. You'd get some old school Honda guys who've gotten older to buy something like that, including me, for a daily.
In essence you could've got that with the accord v6, not sure if it came in the sedan model. But at 35k most of the aforementioned enthusiasts would be cross shopping that with the hot hatch competition as most of them who are looking for a manual trans would likely look there, and those wanting the practicality of the accord will want an auto. Mazda tried that formula with the mazdaspeed 6 that also had awd to boot, but didn't sell well.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Side angle isn't that bad. Kind of looks VW CCish.

That front end though. WTF happened to Honda/Acura design team over the last 10 years? It's like they're blind, drunk, high or all three when it comes to focusing on the front end.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I mean, at least it's not covered in fake air vents front and rear.

Meanwhile, they got rid of the oh so passe gear shifter level. Have fun with your fashionable buttons....
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Elistan
I can only assume you're in a small minority on this. Surely Honda isn't so dumb as to kill off well-selling model versions just for the hell of it? I suspect that the number of two-door Accords they sold was so small it didn't justify the design and manufacturing efforts to make a new one. Just a guess, though.
If you look at the market to me it is Seriously oversaturated with 4 doors ! How everyone wants or needs a 4 door is beyond me . If you look at Barrett Jackson what is bringing the big bucks ? 2 door muscle or sporty cars . WHat is worthless in the future ? 4 door family cars . I do not understand the complete War against 2 doors . Accord is gone , GTI 2 door gone , S2000 gone , Prelude gone , Celica gone , Mitsubishi 3000 gone , MR2 gone , etc .
For 33 years every car I have bought has been a 2 door except for the Forester XT and not only that everyone of them has a been a manual transmission .!
My next purchase also have to have the criteria of 2 door . Next vehicles I may buy - 2 door used GTI , Reg cab Dodge Ram , Jaguar F type , first gen NSX , or maybe Tesla roadster .
Grandpa and Grandma can have the 4 door market .
Old 07-28-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX
If you look at the market to me it is Seriously oversaturated with 4 doors ! How everyone wants or needs a 4 door is beyond me . If you look at Barrett Jackson what is bringing the big bucks ? 2 door muscle or sporty cars . WHat is worthless in the future ? 4 door family cars . I do not understand the complete War against 2 doors . Accord is gone , GTI 2 door gone , S2000 gone , Prelude gone , Celica gone , Mitsubishi 3000 gone , MR2 gone , etc .
For 33 years every car I have bought has been a 2 door except for the Forester XT and not only that everyone of them has a been a manual transmission .!
My next purchase also have to have the criteria of 2 door . Next vehicles I may buy - 2 door used GTI , Reg cab Dodge Ram , Jaguar F type , first gen NSX , or maybe Tesla roadster .
Grandpa and Grandma can have the 4 door market .
Are you advocating that somebody wanting a daily driver should be looking at a two door car, possibly even a two seater sports car, so that it can double as an investment with a 40 or 50 year term?

Anyway, some two door cars still available today off the top of my head:
Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, Challenger, Jeep, and all sorts of pickups from the Americans.
Miata, RC, LC, 86, BRZ, Civic, 370Z, GTR, Q60 from the Japanese.
Veloster from Korea.
A3, A5, S5, TT, R8, 2/4/6 Series, i8, Cayman, Boxster, 911, CLA, C, E, CLS, S, AMG GT from the Germans.
F-Type, and all the Astons (maybe?), Lotuses, Morgans (are those still sold in the US?) and McLarens from the Brits.
A number of Italians (although some should be called Brits, I guess.)
Etc etc etc.

But for a daily driver family car? Of course four doors are going to be vastly more popular. When I was shopping for a daily driver several years ago I only looked for four door cars in part because I was tired of having to rent a sedan whenever family came in from out of town to visit, I was tired of riding in other peoples' cars when going somewhere as a group, was tired of having only a trunk or tuck bed to carry stuff in, etc.

Listen, four door cars are not for you, that's cool, nothing wrong with that, I only had two-seat vehicles for quite a while, but I don't understand why you're surprised that so many other people prefer four doors. And a "war" against two doors? Really? You think there's some nefarious entity out there actively trying to reduce the number of two-door cars on the market, and that without this entity there would be things like two door Yaris, Corolla and Camry?
The following 2 users liked this post by Elistan:
cbehney (07-28-2017), JonBoy (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Silverstreak is absolutely right. There should make 2 dr mini-vans! How dare they make 4 doors when no one wants or needs 4 doors LOL
Old 07-28-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
All great ideas. You guys should start a car company.
lol
hardest part is picking a name
Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX
Prelude gone.
Honda has a golden opportunity to fit the new Civic Type R powertrain into an Accord or Civic chassis with some slick bodywork and resurrect the Prelude or badge it as an Acura as a RSX replacement.

I would LOVE the opportunity to buy that powertrain at a decent price without the "Optimus Prime" look.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (07-31-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Honda has a golden opportunity to fit the new Civic Type R powertrain into an Accord or Civic chassis with some slick bodywork and resurrect the Prelude or badge it as an Acura as a RSX replacement.

I would LOVE the opportunity to buy that powertrain at a decent price without the "Optimus Prime" look.
Supposedly the new Accord engine is the CTR engine, just destined for about 50 HP less, which a Hondata tune should be able to get back easily. And you can get it with a manual transmission too.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:50 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Pretty sure he wants it in coupe form. As would I.

Quick Reply: Ish. New Accord