Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Just drove a new Camaro SS automatic

Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Just drove a new Camaro SS automatic

A friend just picked up a loaded black/black Camaro SS with an automatic transmission. I drove it for about 5 minutes. Transmission is responsive, chassis is nice, car rides good, and is nice and quiet (bone stock obviously). Power is good out of the L99 motor (400hp). One thing that really impressed me was the interior room and sightlines aren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. I'm 6'2"/225lbs and I fit perfectly fine in the car with headroom to spare. Parking in tight spaces and figuring out exactly where the front of the car is would be my only concern, but it's certainly manageable.

Interior was nicer than expected. Has hidden led lights that shine on the door panels which gives it a nice look. White stitching on the black leather seats was nice. Center stack is okay and the 4 gauges by the shifter look cool. Dashboard is a bit bland, but certainly not bad looking. Steering wheel is big, but comfortable with leather wrapping. Gauges are retro and not the easiest to read at quick glance, but the center of the dash is a digital info display which shows the speed and can toggle to other functions (I believe).

Transmission in sport mode (with paddle shifters on the wheel) was pretty nice and did rev match downshifts which surprised me.

Overall, I was quite impressed with my buddy's new car.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know call me an early 2000's internet junkie but back when the SS Camaro debuted from the last gen I was in awe of the LS1.

It went head to head with the Mustang Cobra and it was really a Ford vs Chevy battle.

M3's couldn't touch it in a straight line, C5 vettes could get beat with a few mods. The "ricers" pre Evo/Sti in the states had to just sit in awe as they squint their eyes coming out of the dark movie theater watching Fast and the Furious.

Now we got 300 hp V6 mustangs/camaros
Seems like everybody has the access to a decent honda thread to get a decent turbo civic running
Evo's/Sti's

as always people still bring their garage queens of Supras, American registered Skylines, C6's galore, a bevy of Porsches and various other fast cars too many to mention.

To sum it up, the old Camaro could hit 150mph and that was like "WHOA" for me back in the day. Now this new one comes out and it just doesn't do it for me... although I know that interior is light years better.

I think we are in the middle of a horse power war and nobody really takes notice, well unless you track the latest Honda cars and get depressed.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

400 hp is the new 300hp......+500 lbs
Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice cars they are but I can't get over the trunk opening but I haven't personaly ever had the chance to try to use it.. They just seem incredibly small and limiting for a car of its size and unless you really count the two dwarf seats in the back as useful seats for anyone older then 10years old then the car looses any of its practicality to me. Infact for me the corvettes would be noticeably more practical. Seems kind of backwards to me..

They do look great though, an RS/SS in black.. mmm yeah.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tan
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 AM

Tan, that is exactly what it looked like. Nice shot. Maybe I should trade in my wife's RX for a Camaro SS.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 AM

absolutely abhorred the design of the instrument cluster and for some reason I don't like the rear styling either. Other than that it is a fine cruiser imo
Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I love the motor in the car and the tranny is decent as well. The car makes great sounds and is pretty comfortable. However, I didn't much like the interior. I hated the "retro" gauges and our sales manager's car was already squeaking in the door panels. Seats were nice! I had no idea where the hood ended but it's not like the S2000 is much better.

It's a nice daily driver but there's no way I'd buy it purely based on performance. The same sales manager has a C6 as well so he has the best of both worlds (he also has an F-150 for "work duty").
Old 12-30-2009, 06:47 AM

Gauges aren't the best, but they were doing the retro theme. I agree, it's really not much of a performance car and the sightlines on where the hood ends is a bit tricky, but for a cruiser ride that looks good and actually rides pretty good and goes fast in a straight line, it's a lot of car for low/mid 30's.

I won't be trading my C6 in on one, but I was pleasantly surprised with the overall substantial/solid feel of the car. Plus the L99/LS3 motor is one of the greats.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 AM

An orange SS

Are the slits/vents functional? Especially the one in the front bumper.

Big ass engine..hence why the pic is big.

The love/hate center guages, ergonomically you have to take your eyes off the road to view them. How do you get a navigation in that dash?

Tan

Quick Reply: Just drove a new Camaro SS automatic