Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Logical upgrade from my S2000?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billj747
I understand your fears of the NSX appreciating. That's what scared me in to picking up the Viper. I figured as it appreciates, I won't be losing much money on it. Other than my MR2 Turbo, ive always broke even or made money off my car purchases.

The reality is, if you wait 10 years, paying an extra $10K for an NSX is probably similar to buying one now and paying for insurance, tires, oil, etc... Because of that, my Viper search lasted over a year until I found a car with 6,000 miles on it in perfect condition.

IMO, NSXs, good condition FDs, Vipers, and MKIV Supras are all going to start appreciating. The formula of being iconic cars, many of them wrecked, many of them beat up and tastelessly modified, and cult followings will make them increase in value for clean cars. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up 2-3 E30 M3s when they were $12-15K. I could have easily doubled my money. I didn't want to miss the Viper boat because I think they will be in a similar position and more importantly, I've always wanted one.

It really depends on where you are at financially; but if you get a reasonably good condition NSX, Viper, or FD; I don't think you're going to lose money like buying any new car off the showroom floor.

FWIW, an LS powered FD is still one of my all time favorite swaps (or even packages in general) that i've driven on track. I'm a rotary guy, but I do love torque.
I agree. I don't think I would lose much money on an NSX if I bought a decent example now for $35k and kept it for 10+ years. It's more about prioritizing other big purchases first. The car being somewhat of an investment is icing on the cake, but not one of the main reasons I want the NSX.

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Don't think you can get anywhere near a 5,000 sq foot house in TX anymore unless it's in the some BFE town. Dallas is averaging about 650-700K for a 5,000 sq foot house in the suburbs. Houston and Austin are at least the same or more. 60/sq foot hasn't existed for a while.
Good point, I just checked the area where my parents used to live north of Houston and the prices have shot up from 300k to well over 400k. Slightly more incentive to live in California, I guess?

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by Billj747' timestamp='1433504755' post='23637108
I understand your fears of the NSX appreciating. That's what scared me in to picking up the Viper. I figured as it appreciates, I won't be losing much money on it. Other than my MR2 Turbo, ive always broke even or made money off my car purchases.

The reality is, if you wait 10 years, paying an extra $10K for an NSX is probably similar to buying one now and paying for insurance, tires, oil, etc... Because of that, my Viper search lasted over a year until I found a car with 6,000 miles on it in perfect condition.
Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but the best approach to buying a sports car is wait for the next recession. It's hard to say how much certain cars will drop, but they will fall in price just like all assets. Right now asset prices (stock market, real estate, expensive art, cars, etc) are all close to or above all time highs. If you're smart and save some money till then, you can likely scoop up a nice sports car at a discount (at least compared to now). When others are liquidating/selling stuff is the best time to buy. For something that you NEED like a house/etc, waiting can be harder since who knows how crazy prices can get, but I think there's a ceiling on cars. These days no specific asset class moves independent of one another. They all rise or fall with the tide. Just my 2 cents.
I never thought about it this way, but it makes sense. People sell their toys during a recession. I may just need to be more patient.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars are not in investment but with the NSX, more than likely you will get your money back with the possibility of a price spike like the 993 Air-cool 911s. You never know.

I bought my NSX at the recession period 08-09 but I didn't gain much nor lose much because I had to sell my S2000 below value at the time I picked up my NSX. One thing I saw is that there are more example of good condition NSX during the recession.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My logical upgrade is a Chrome Orange Lotus Elise. This one has 42k miles and $32.9k... This thing is better then a NSX IMO.

Seller has a hardtop GPW, wonder if he's on here?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...99690506&Log=0
Old 06-05-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HGL1668
Cars are not in investment but with the NSX, more than likely you will get your money back with the possibility of a price spike like the 993 Air-cool 911s. You never know.

I bought my NSX at the recession period 08-09 but I didn't gain much nor lose much because I had to sell my S2000 below value at the time I picked up my NSX. One thing I saw is that there are more example of good condition NSX during the recession.
I plan to modify and track the NSX, so I probably can't expect it to go up in value. I'd be lucky if it just maintained its value by the time I finally let it go. But you made the right call buying yours 7-8 years ago for sure, even if you lost some money on the S2000.

Also, did you mention you were in SoCal and could show me your car?

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
My logical upgrade is a Chrome Orange Lotus Elise. This one has 42k miles and $32.9k... This thing is better then a NSX IMO.

Seller has a hardtop GPW, wonder if he's on here?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...99690506&Log=0
That's the first year they sold the Elise with the 8k rpm Toyota 2ZZ, isn't it?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Elise's are fun, but are more difficult to get in and out of than racecars. I like them as "racecars for the street" but an s2k is a way better street/track car, staying somewhat streetable when configured to beat Elise's on track.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:01 PM

Most dont have LSDs. K24 swap with an LSD would be a different story...
Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by Zygrene' timestamp='1433474396' post='23636879
[quote name='S2020' timestamp='1433466187' post='23636796']
I was in the same boat a few years ago. Didn't buy an 2002 NSX for $48K b/c the seller and I couldn't agree on $2K difference. Regret it every once in a while but life goes on. Got another car so it's not the end of the world. I still visit NSXPrime to check out the for sale section but given the price increase, it's unlikely I will be buying anytime soon.
I don't think 91 NSXs will be $50K. If they are, there are better cars out there for less money. If you drive one in 10 years, I think you will be disappointed - compared to the modern cars that will arrive at that time.
That's what I'm afraid of. If I can still get a nice 1991 for 40k by the time I'm ready, I can live with it.

Originally Posted by resipsa
I had a 987.1 Cayman S, and it was very comfortable, and very easy to drive fast on track. But it was the least reliable car I've ever owned. I only kept it for a little over a year, and I had over $5k in repairs. Thankfully, all were done under the CPO Warranty. That wasn't even counting the possibility of IMS failure. As others have stated, look at a 987.2 S model if you're interested in tracking it, or go for an R model. Don't let the temptation of a cheap 987.1 sway your opinion.
At this point I'm not even considering a 987.1/2 Cayman S anymore. Only the Cayman R from that generation would feel special enough I think.

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
I wouldn't trade living in CA for anything i love it here...expensive housing and all
I actually feel the same way. I've only lived here for 3 years but I don't want to leave. The weather, food, diversity, and general culture, not to mention car culture, all suit me very well.

But the housing prices... so ridiculous. 300k can get me a 5000 sq ft house in Texas. In the Bay, 700k will get me a 2500 sq ft house. Luckily my girlfriend has a steady job too, and neither of us have any debt. It'll just take a few extra years to be able to afford a 20% down payment.

But then there's grad school...

Don't think you can get anywhere near a 5,000 sq foot house in TX anymore unless it's in the some BFE town. Dallas is averaging about 650-700K for a 5,000 sq foot house in the suburbs. Houston and Austin are at least the same or more. 60/sq foot hasn't existed for a while.
[/quote]

Yeah, maybe in like 1998. LOL.

That said, Texas real estate is super affordable. $300k for a nice 3,500 sq foot house in the Dallas suburbs is pretty normal.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Elise's are fun, but are more difficult to get in and out of than racecars. I like them as "racecars for the street" but an s2k is a way better street/track car, staying somewhat streetable when configured to beat Elise's on track.
I find myself driving the Elise more than my S2000, as a DD.
BOE REV300 and Penske DA shocks makes for a pretty compelling package.
I'm 6' and 210lbs, getting in and out is not bad, once you get used to it. Would not consider it "hard" to do at all.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:11 AM

You are a rare example. I'm 6'0" 170lbs, and have driven a lot of Elise/exiges on the street and track. They are far more difficult to get in and out of than a McLaren 12C, and most caged racecars that I've driven.

I'm not saying you can't DD them, they are fun cars, but an S2K is a lot easier to live with.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

You are a rare example. I'm 6'0" 170lbs, and have driven a lot of Elise/exiges on the street and track. They are far more difficult to get in and out of than a McLaren 12C, and most caged racecars that I've driven.

I'm not saying you can't DD them, they are fun cars, but an S2K is a lot easier to live with.
I agree the s2k is easier to live with by far, especially bc the trunk is bigger. But the exige/Elise once you get use it is easy to get in and out of.

Also the reliability concerns are overblown. I've had the car for 3 years (only 5k miles tho) and didn't do anything that wasn't normal fluids. A friend of mine did 2 years 20 k on his Elise with no issues either.

Btw the cam issue if you just check it every other oil change should be fine, the cam and rocker is like $250 in parts. Also let the car warm up before beating on it and you'll be fine

Quick Reply: Logical upgrade from my S2000?