Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Logical upgrade from my S2000?

Old 06-06-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
That said, Texas real estate is super affordable. $300k for a nice 3,500 sq foot house in the Dallas suburbs is pretty normal.
300K is a one bed room condo in Boston. Figure about $500 a sq foot.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Update:

I had the opportunity to drive a bone stock 1991 NSX with 83k miles. Only aftermarket parts were some hideous chrome 17/18 staggered wheels and Bridgestone S04 tires. The car looked like a monster truck on stock suspension.

Regardless, I drove it through some twisty roads for about 15 min and came away with the following impressions:

1) The engine is glorious. It's quiet around town with stock exhaust but sounds so raw and mechanical from 5-8k. The lack of low end torque was more noticeable than I expected. Didn't feel much stronger than the S2000 at low/mid rpms. But also doesn't have the kick in the ass VTEC engagement of the F series motor.
2) The unassisted steering has a ton of feel at speed, but definitely not as quick to respond as the S2000's.
3) Gear ratios are way too long. Shifting from 1st to 2nd at 8000 drops the rpm to around 5000, which feels about 500-1000 short of the optimal power band. I could see myself being tempted to use 1st gear on the track in hairpins where in the S2000 I would stay in 2nd.
4) The shifter is precise and just the right weight, but not as mechanical as the S2000's.
5) I don't feel as comfortable chucking it into a corner as the S2000. Probably a combination of the soft spring rates and slow/heavy steering. It was also wearing a narrower 215 section front tire vs 255 at the rear, so this might have contributed as well.
6) Seating position and front visibility are the best of any car I've driven, including the S2000.
7) Stock brakes require a fair amount of pedal pressure to get the car stopped, and heel toe-ing requires a heavier blip of the throttle than I'm used to.
8) Ride comfort was amazing, miles ahead of the S2000. Again, probably due to stock suspension. But the interior also felt more comfortable/open, minus the limited head room.

I think in stock form, the car is actually a very suitable daily driver but not nearly as track oriented as the S2000, just like some of you guys said. I wouldn't feel too comfortable tracking it in this form. But I'm glad I got a baseline feel for a stock NSX. I'm looking forward to trying a properly modified NSX in the near future.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zygrene
Update:

I had the opportunity to drive a bone stock 1991 NSX with 83k miles. Only aftermarket parts were some hideous chrome 17/18 staggered wheels and Bridgestone S04 tires. The car looked like a monster truck on stock suspension.

Regardless, I drove it through some twisty roads for about 15 min and came away with the following impressions:

1) The engine is glorious. It's quiet around town with stock exhaust but sounds so raw and mechanical from 5-8k. The lack of low end torque was more noticeable than I expected. Didn't feel much stronger than the S2000 at low/mid rpms. But also doesn't have the kick in the ass VTEC engagement of the F series motor.
2) The unassisted steering has a ton of feel at speed, but definitely not as quick to respond as the S2000's.
3) Gear ratios are way too long. Shifting from 1st to 2nd at 8000 drops the rpm to around 5000, which feels about 500-1000 short of the optimal power band. I could see myself being tempted to use 1st gear on the track in hairpins where in the S2000 I would stay in 2nd.
4) The shifter is precise and just the right weight, but not as mechanical as the S2000's.
5) I don't feel as comfortable chucking it into a corner as the S2000. Probably a combination of the soft spring rates and slow/heavy steering. It was also wearing a narrower 215 section front tire vs 255 at the rear, so this might have contributed as well.
6) Seating position and front visibility are the best of any car I've driven, including the S2000.
7) Stock brakes require a fair amount of pedal pressure to get the car stopped, and heel toe-ing requires a heavier blip of the throttle than I'm used to.
8) Ride comfort was amazing, miles ahead of the S2000. Again, probably due to stock suspension. But the interior also felt more comfortable/open, minus the limited head room.

I think in stock form, the car is actually a very suitable daily driver but not nearly as track oriented as the S2000, just like some of you guys said. I wouldn't feel too comfortable tracking it in this form. But I'm glad I got a baseline feel for a stock NSX. I'm looking forward to trying a properly modified NSX in the near future.
Thanks for your impressions, matches what I have heard elsewhere although I have not driven one myself.

I'm in the same boat as many here - NSX has been a dream car for a long, long time, but they are now more than I'd like to spend for the performance. However, the idea that it doesn't really depreciate combined with the fact that I just love the look/feel of it (just sitting in it, with the view/layout/seats, is awesome) keeps me coming back and looking at classifieds, only to be disappointed.

Maybe it's something I just have to own for a couple years to get it out of my system. I just can't envision paying 3x what my s2k cost for a car that's hardly any faster and likely less fun on a track and in hard driving, without some suspension/trans mods at least.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by white98ls
Thanks for your impressions, matches what I have heard elsewhere although I have not driven one myself.

I'm in the same boat as many here - NSX has been a dream car for a long, long time, but they are now more than I'd like to spend for the performance. However, the idea that it doesn't really depreciate combined with the fact that I just love the look/feel of it (just sitting in it, with the view/layout/seats, is awesome) keeps me coming back and looking at classifieds, only to be disappointed.

Maybe it's something I just have to own for a couple years to get it out of my system. I just can't envision paying 3x what my s2k cost for a car that's hardly any faster and likely less fun on a track and in hard driving, without some suspension/trans mods at least.
Yeah, the performance by itself is not justifiable for almost 40k, that's for sure. With the right mods the car should come alive and be a joy to drive fast. I'm thinking with a total investment of about 50k, the car should feel just about perfect for combined street/track use.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

There are brand new cars for $50k with more tech, better track and street performance though. You have to really love the NSX to buy one at that price point.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zygrene
Originally Posted by white98ls' timestamp='1433884034' post='23642362

Yeah, the performance by itself is not justifiable for almost 40k, that's for sure. With the right mods the car should come alive and be a joy to drive fast. I'm thinking with a total investment of about 50k, the car should feel just about perfect for combined street/track use.
I am glad you had a chance to drive a stock 91. It is almost exactly if how I would describe it in stock form driving on the street. Honestly, S2000 or a miata is more fun to drive on the street because they can be taken closer to the limit than a car like NSX. On the track, its quite different but fun, and that is where it shines. When you are down here in Socal that weekend, call or text me and I will let you drive my car (with mods). 626-628-4six seven ate
Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lotus Exige. 2006 was NA, the 07+ is supercharged. Exclusive, featherlight, huge aftermarket and enthusiast base and faster than everything you've mentioned.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by HGL1668
I am glad you had a chance to drive a stock 91. It is almost exactly if how I would describe it in stock form driving on the street. Honestly, S2000 or a miata is more fun to drive on the street because they can be taken closer to the limit than a car like NSX. On the track, its quite different but fun, and that is where it shines. When you are down here in Socal that weekend, call or text me and I will let you drive my car (with mods). 626-628-4six seven ate
Yeah, the driving dynamics of the stock NA1 matched pretty much everything I've heard from NSX owners. Looking forward to checking out your modified car in a week!

Originally Posted by rnye
Lotus Exige. 2006 was NA, the 07+ is supercharged. Exclusive, featherlight, huge aftermarket and enthusiast base and faster than everything you've mentioned.
The fiberglass body of the Exige might be a deal-breaker for me. Plus, I prefer how the NSX looks. But I have no doubt the Exige will runs circles around a mildly modified NSX on most tracks.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:12 AM

So I drove a 2007 Z4 M Coupe today based on suggestions in this thread. This is just a week after driving the stock NSX. Here are my impressions from driving it on the street:

Engine: The S54 inline 6 is a beast in the E86 chassis. Power-to-weight ratio feels just about perfect and feels a lot quicker than the NSX. Has linear torque from low rpms and revs to 8000 with no hesitation at all. Induction noise is super aggressive. Not sure if I prefer NSX sound over this, or vice versa.
Suspension: Stock suspension is super stiff. Not nearly as comfortable as the NSX. Somewhat irrelevant for my purposes, though. Seems like it would do well on the track.
Driver controls: All the driver inputs (steering, pedals, shifter) are heavy. Car is very clunky to drive around at low speed. Hydraulic steering has amazing feel but the wheel is uncomfortably thick. The clutch is very grabby (65k miles on the car, not sure if original clutch), and the engine rpms fall very quickly so shifts need to be very quick.
Driving position: Seat itself is nice and supportive. The long, bulky hood makes me feel like I'm driving a GT car, not a focused sports car. I much prefer the front view of the NSX and S2000.

In stock form, I think the M Coupe would eat the NSX for breakfast on the track, but it definitely gives up comfort and ease of use. Surprising for a car that's 16 years newer than the NSX. I think the true test will come when I drive an NSX with proper upgrades (suspension, brakes, wheels/tires) to put it on the same "track-ready" level.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Pretty much nailed the M Coupe. I find it's not a grabby clutch but rather a tough pick-up point in the stroke of the clutch. It took me about two weeks to get smooth with it. Engine rpm does fall quickly - you have to really stab the throttle to get a proper heel/toe. On the track, though, you just mash the throttle as you brake and it's generally perfect.

I love the steering wheel but I agree, it does feel too thick. I also with the steering ratio was a little quicker.

At speed, on the track, the car is quite easy to drive. The clutch is a non-issue, the car feels stable and the brakes are way better than any Honda I've ever driven (including S2000 and NSX).

Quick Reply: Logical upgrade from my S2000?