Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Logical upgrade from my S2000?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want the car to feel like a more powerful s2000 get a viper. The nsx and s2000 drive nothing alike. Gen 3 with a diff upgrade or gen iv will remind you of an s2000, but with about 250% of the power and only about 20% more weight.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a Vette.

Recently drove a C6 Z06 and i was quite blown away.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
If you want the car to feel like a more powerful s2000 get a viper. The nsx and s2000 drive nothing alike. Gen 3 with a diff upgrade or gen iv will remind you of an s2000, but with about 250% of the power and only about 20% more weight.
I forgot to mention R8, Gen iv Viper, Z4M Coupe. But I don't know if you can stomach the depreciation.

I often see Gen3 & 4 vipers on the Autox ripping it and set almost the fastest time of the day. The Viper never gave me the impression that it has good handling. I guess I am wrong. Viper handles like a S2000? The Gen 5 Viper is Noice!
Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to deal with leasing a car. Whatever next car I buy will most likely be purchased with cash.

Originally Posted by Tipiak
I would go for the NSX, just because you want it. If you don't, you will eventually, as you just did

Now about the NSX, I don't own one, but a good buddy of mine did as well as an AP1. His NA1 was bone stock and showroom clean. He just sold it after 6 years of ownership for more than he paid for.
To what he told me, yes the car feel pretty special, even more here in western europe (i may have seen 3 in my entire life!). But it's not really faster than a S2000. The engine is more torquy and the car is a great cruiser but is not as nimble or go kart feel as the S. You have to give it more respect. It's just different.
Now if you want the NSX to keep its value you surely want to keep it stock. I would love to trash that sort of car on the track, and you should, but keep that in mind. It's also possible that part cost are much higher than a S2000, it's kind of a supercar, you know

Now about the E46 M3, i rode shotgun for 4 laps on track, with a good driver behind the wheel. The car had a CSL airbox (glorious noise!), some coilovers (BC AFAIR), and upgraded pads and tires. Dam I was blown away! The engine is rev happy and the CSL airbox made it sing. The car really push you in your seat and from the passenger one, felt more nimble than i would expect to. Really felt like a bigger S with 4 sits. Sure it's not much of a drama comparing to the hondas, and there are some reliability issues.

If you were not impress by the cayman, and it's too expensive, i would look away. Those are a pain to work on, and event if you do, it would kill the resell ability on this kind of thing. Just for you to know, here Porsche dealer bill you 500 euros, just to remove the cover to access the engine. You've been warned !

happy hunting
The E46's reliability is the main thing that scares me away from. But then again, a 91-94 NSX would be a lot older so it might also have issues if it wasn't properly maintained.

Good point on resale value on the Cayman. I don't plan to leave my "fun" car stock, and I want something that will hold its value reasonably well (read: not depreciate to hell in 2 years) so this could rule out the Cayman.

Originally Posted by HGL1668
From reading your posts, Cayman will not satisfy you and you will need at least a GT3, a GT4, or 993 C2S, because I was on the same boat. I wanted something more special. Special to me means S2000 is special but not a Cayman. They are out of your price range so get the NSX. Sell the NSX in two years if you don't like it. I have to warn you though or I assume you already know, that finding a NSX you like will take some time but that is part of the fun. I suggest an almost stock 91-94 because they are coupe, it is going to cost you at least 35k for a good condition and then maybe 5-7k to the way you like it. But do test drive some 2002+ just to get a feel of the newer car. It is almost like AP1 to AP2 so to speak. It is a little more refine and less gutted.

NSX is slow but not really a pig that many people associate with. Fact is that cayman 275hp is only 5 more hp than a NA1 NSX . I have a 92, no power steering, no ABS, w/ JRZ coils, jun fly, NSX-r tranny; It drives quite raw. The cockpit, visibility, and the way you contour in the seat, makes me feel special. 2 cts
From a pure performance/handling standpoint I think a Cayman S would suit me quite well, but I'm starting to rule it out due to the above reasons. If I had close to 100k, I'd get a 997.2 GT3. I don't know much about the 993 generation, but I imagine those will appreciate even more by the time I'm ready to buy.

I realize finding the perfect NSX will be a challenge, but I'm up for it. A buddy of mine told me he'd fly with me anywhere in the US to find the right NSX and roadtrip it back to California. But regarding test drives, I'm not sure how easy it is to get those on a car that's getting rarer and more valuable without cash in hand. Any suggestions?

I respect the Viper and love the way it looks, but it's not really my cup of tea. Not a fan of how unrefined the V10 sounds. I want more of a precision machine, not a brute.

Originally Posted by blueprint
Get a Vette.

Recently drove a C6 Z06 and i was quite blown away.
I just drove my friend's base C6 again yesterday. The torque feels great but the suspension's too soft. Z06 should be a lot better, but Vettes aren't really my cup of tea either.

Originally Posted by HGL1668' timestamp='1431965516' post='23616494
I forgot to mention R8, Gen iv Viper, Z4M Coupe. But I don't know if you can stomach the depreciation.

I often see Gen3 & 4 vipers on the Autox ripping it and set almost the fastest time of the day. The Viper never gave me the impression that it has good handling. I guess I am wrong. Viper handles like a S2000? The Gen 5 Viper is Noice!
I thought the depreciation for the Z4M wouldn't be too bad since it's rare?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:43 AM

I realize finding the perfect NSX will be a challenge, but I'm up for it. A buddy of mine told me he'd fly with me anywhere in the US to find the right NSX and roadtrip it back to California. But regarding test drives, I'm not sure how easy it is to get those on a car that's getting rarer and more valuable without cash in hand. Any suggestions?
You mentioned C6 has soft suspension. Stock NSX has very soft suspension, and too much body roll. That's why I mentioned 5-7k for some upgrades for it drives to your liking. NSX was advertise as a GT car, and it is a GT compare to the S2000. Drives like an Accord to be honest in stock form.

What area code are you in?

You are right. Not the Z4M.

Me too, I am saving up for a GT3, maybe I will change my target to GT4. GT4 is such a perfect car.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:56 AM

You mentioned C6 has soft suspension. Stock NSX has very soft suspension, and too much body roll. That's why I mentioned 5-7k for some upgrades for it drives to your liking. NSX was advertise as a GT car, and it is a GT compare to the S2000. Drives like an Accord to be honest in stock form.

What area code are you in?

You are right. Not the Z4M.

Me too, I am saving up for a GT3, maybe I will change my target to GT4. GT4 is such a perfect car.
Yeah, I've heard the stock NSX is pretty soft. I would do the basic "track" mods to it. Coilovers, wheels/tires, brakes, sway bar. I can justify the 5-7k of initial mods.

I'm in 95116, San Jose.

I've read that the GT4 is damn near impossible to get your hands on. All the 918 Spyder owners got first dibs. Maybe in a few years they'll pop up on the used market, but I imagine they will still sell near or above MSRP for a while.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Well, I only know the S2000 guys in San Jose, like Jon (Castro), Andy, Chris Ou.

If you ever come down here (Socal), you may drive my car. Perhap, if you are going to HC3. I will be there.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 AM

Well, I only know the S2000 guys in San Jose, like Jon (Castro), Andy, Chris Ou.

If you ever come down here (Socal), you may drive my car. Perhap, if you are going to HC3. I will be there.
Awesome, that would be greatly appreciated. I'll PM you next time I head to Socal.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

You said that you won't be buying this next car for probably at least 2 years.

Based on your criteria and price range the 987.2 (2009-2012 production) Cayman S is perfect. Given your price range you may even be able to afford the 2012 Cayman R if you can find a decent one available. And that's more exclusive than anything else being mentioned in this thread.
-You want something exclusive; The Cayman is the least popular Porsche model sold, and after the initial demand ('06-'07) sales have slowed to a trickle.
-Caymans are considerably more exclusive than E46 M3s.
-You hated the steering feel of the 981 Cayman you test drove. The 987 has gloriously communicative hydraulic power steering. Solution!
-Working on a Cayman's engine isn't a walk in the park, but you can access the engine somewhat easily from the front, top, each side, and below. Only part that's a huge pain to access is the rear. That's considerably better than most other cars.

The Cayman S is basically the modern day equivalent of the NSX. It's newer and does everything better.

Just get a 987.2 Cayman S or R.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 AM

Hey, just tried to send you a PM but I think your inbox is full. Is there another way I can contact you in private?

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
You said that you won't be buying this next car for probably at least 2 years.

Based on your criteria and price range the 987.2 (2009-2012 production) Cayman S is perfect. Given your price range you may even be able to afford the 2012 Cayman R if you can find a decent one available. And that's more exclusive than anything else being mentioned in this thread.
-You want something exclusive; The Cayman is the least popular Porsche model sold, and after the initial demand ('06-'07) sales have slowed to a trickle.
-Caymans are considerably more exclusive than E46 M3s.
-You hated the steering feel of the 981 Cayman you test drove. The 987 has gloriously communicative hydraulic power steering. Solution!
-Working on a Cayman's engine isn't a walk in the park, but you can access the engine somewhat easily from the front, top, each side, and below. Only part that's a huge pain to access is the rear. That's considerably better than most other cars.

The Cayman S is basically the modern day equivalent of the NSX. It's newer and does everything better.

Just get a 987.2 Cayman S or R.
I know the Caymans are more exclusive than the 911's but I still see them pretty often here in California. I forgot about the Cayman R. Might be worth a look if I can find one.

I know, I'm being picky but if it's going to take the perfect car to replace my S. I love it too much to "settle" for something I won't be enamored with.

Quick Reply: Logical upgrade from my S2000?