Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Long distant transactions

Old 04-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless it is a fabulous deal and you have driven the car I would suggest a local search.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Here is how my insurance agent suggested such transactions. Take out a loan at a major bank with branches everywhere, like say a Wells Fargo or similar. Have the money deposited into your account. Fly to where car is located, inspect and test drive. If car looks good, go to local Wells Fargo where the car is located, and have them make out a cashiers check in the owners/friends presence and swap it for title. Drive car home.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
As far as buying site unseen, people do it all of the time, that isn't what I was asking for input on. It all just depends on how good you feel based on talking with the seller. Like I said this will be #3 site unseen and so far I have been happy. I am not sure about the PPI I hear mixed things and sometimes it is a waste. The seller provided maintenance records from the local BMW dealer and they are very detailed and up to date.

With regards to what is stopping him from taking my $ and taking off, just a notarized bill of sale and that I will have all his info. Yeah if he does that this could turn into a big PITA, but I will let everyone know
Sounds to me like you've made up your mind. You are taking all the risk as the buyer, and the seller is not taking any... IMO it should be shared by both. If he/she is not willing to do so, that would be a huge red flag for me. Its not something I would be comfortable doing, but if you feel the risk is worth the potential reward, then I wish you all the best.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd have him mail the title to the friend. Bring a cashiers check to the friend, effectively making it a 'local' deal.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I'd have him mail the title to the friend. Bring a cashiers check to the friend, effectively making it a 'local' deal.
^This
eliminates all risks by you that car is not as described and eliminates his risks of not getting paid
Old 04-03-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
only he doesn't have the cash in his account and I have the title and the car. My bank is working with us to make it a bit safer for both, since the check is to him he agrees that the title eventually goes to them in a formal agreement. If he doesn't go through they take action. They do lots of verification, plus I have done a ton myself (copy of title, drivers license, car fax, all maintenance records from the BMW shop, bill of sale) and the bank puts a hold on the funds, so if I don't get the title I can go that route. Still not ideal, but it is the route I am going, I will update how it works out.

Last edited by bgoetz; 04-05-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
only he doesn't have the cash in his account and I have the title and the car. My bank is working with us to make it a bit safer for both, since the check is to him he agrees that the title eventually goes to them in a formal agreement. If he doesn't go through they take action. They do lots of verification, plus I have done a ton myself (copy of title, drivers license, car fax, all maintenance records from the BMW shop, bill of sale) and the bank puts a hold on the funds, so if I don't get the title within a day I can go that route. Still not ideal, but it is the route I am going, I will update with how it works out.
Meet his friend at his bank, withdraw cash or a cashiers check with him standing there and hand it to him. If he doesn't trust his friend he shouldn't have his friend holding his car.

You're making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

You don't have the title and car, his friend does. No reason this shouldn't be feasible and protect both of you.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
You don't have the title and car, his friend does. No reason this shouldn't be feasible and protect both of you.
I think we managed to work it out, I will update once I actually have the car though
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Waiting for pics!

Quick Reply: Long distant transactions