Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looking at potential daily drivers

Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
MDX has a real AWD unlike some of the other light weight "AWD" cars you see out there.
Love that SH-AWD!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Wait, are you buying new, or used? Plz clarify.
I would like to buy used because the depreciation of new cars is insane.
However, the Tacoma resale value is extremely expensive (as to be expected). I've seen numerous trucks listed at $20K+ with 100K+ miles. Therefore, if I could spend an extra few grand and get a brand new truck, I would do that.

As for the Subaru, I've heard mixed opinions. I doubt I would ever buy a used STI (obviously it has been abused). However, I think the WRX is a safer buy used, so I would consider that.

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Moved to car talk. Buy an Accord, unless you're a home owner...then by the Tacoma
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot / thanks for moving it. Accord isn't a bad thought. I actually considered the G35 Sedan for a little while (AWD and good performance)
If I were to get a sedan, I want to get a sporty sedan (hence why the WRX is an option)
I'm still young and don't have a family yet so I have that freedom.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:44 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Wojofoo
The two vehicles I'm currently considering are the:
1. Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab - Average gas mileage, reliable, cheap to insure, handles adverse conditions, room for multiple passengers, will be beneficial for future house projects
2. Subaru Imprezza WRX - Average - good gas mileage, fairly reliable??, more expensive to insure, handles adverse conditions, room for multiple passengers, is more fun to drive daily

Also, based on these two choices, are there any other vehicles that I should consider?
Buy a Tacoma and don't look back. Pickup truck has way more utility (it is a utility vehicle after all), along with better resale value and reliability.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with the Taco. You'll love it as a winter dd and the resale value is awesome. You are also lucky enough to have the s2k as a second vehicle for fun. Best of both worlds.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If the home your going to purchase is in any kind of rural area or has any amount of property associated with it get the truck.
You won't regret it.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Wojofoo
I would like to buy used because the depreciation of new cars is insane.
However, the Tacoma resale value is extremely expensive (as to be expected). I've seen numerous trucks listed at $20K+ with 100K+ miles. Therefore, if I could spend an extra few grand and get a brand new truck, I would do that.

As for the Subaru, I've heard mixed opinions. I doubt I would ever buy a used STI (obviously it has been abused). However, I think the WRX is a safer buy used, so I would consider that.

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot / thanks for moving it. Accord isn't a bad thought. I actually considered the G35 Sedan for a little while (AWD and good performance)
If I were to get a sedan, I want to get a sporty sedan (hence why the WRX is an option)
I'm still young and don't have a family yet so I have that freedom.
I was eyeballing the new Accord Sport as a TSX replacement. Those cars look good and are well equipped: 2016 Honda Accord Sport Manual Tested – Review – Car and Driver
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I've actually had somewhat of a secret crush on the Accord Sport six-speed manual. I requested a quote a few times and the dealers knocked over $3k right off the bat. It really is a lot of car for the money.

I REALLY want the new special edition sport in San Marino Red. Black leather with heated seats and red stitching. Sticker is like $26k for that one. So, figured $23k or less plus TTL for a nice six-speed "sports" sedan with a near 200hp NA 4 banger that will be fun to drive and last forever.

Problem is, I need another car like I need another hole in my head.........
Old 01-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG

Problem is, I need another car like I need another hole in my head.........
That's what I say, exactly, about sportbikes. If I didn't have them all in my garage I could actually have some much nicer cars. Bikes are worse than cars for me, I ended up spending more on parts than what the bike cost to purchase in the first place!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a present 2016 Tacoma sport 6sp owner, and past subaru wrx sti owner, 100% go with the the Toyota. The fuel mileage was about the same, but reliability was just crappy. If reliability is on top of your list get the Toyota. If you want a fun car that has to be fixed a lot get the subaru.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

One trick to buying a used car is avoid vehicles with high resale. You're better off buying those new.

So both the tacoma and wrx are out as used. Both have high resale. Taco because its reliable and solid, wrx because every kid wants to be Fast and Furious.

Another trick is avoiding cars that are often abused. So again, not wrx. An ideal choice is a luxury car. They depreciate fast. They are usually well cared for. A good deal can be had for a well cared for, very nice car.

Something like a Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. A sports sedan.

One problem with this strategy is these cars are expensive to maintain. So unless you are going to do all the maintenance yourself, avoid the german cars like the plague.

There are plenty of awd sports sedans to choose from. Look for condition, not low miles.

Research the cars and know their weak points so you know what to look for when looking at one.

Quick Reply: Looking at potential daily drivers