Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Looks familiar....

Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you will be able to buy them on ebay from a Hong Kong seller soon.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87,Apr 30 2010, 09:57 AM
SAAB (or Opel), Benz, Lexus, Mini.
This was my guess too.

I've seen these pics before, but still a good post.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over half of the daily things we use are made in china, so I'm not surpries. Before we know it all cars will be made in china, then we'll carry on with our short lives, while crusing down the street in a BAIC C60 or Lifan 320. I wonder if there is a Lifan 320 S with turbo??
Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, truly sad.. This is one of the immeasurable things China is stealing from countries/people around the world.. IP (intellectual property). If I could steal others' technology and integrate it into my own, that's a huge competitive advantage.

Such a shame everyone's too chicken shit to do anything about this. Especially here in the US, we've grown so dependent on cheap Chinese labor and their manufacturing/products. It will catch up with us eventually though, and not for the better..
Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 PM

I am surprised that didn't make a mashed up car. And at least when Japan was doing this kind of stuff they attached a digital clock. =)

I recently went to an Architecture lecture where by law they had to visit many Chinese manufactures who would build parts of the building and rate the quality of work. Some of the pictures he was showing in the presentation not only made everyone laugh, but showed me just how scary what qualifies for a factory there.

Think of instead of a CNC machine they would project an autocad drawing onto a piece of metal on a wall and then cut with hand saw. I would love to see all these cars goes into a crash test.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Some of it might have to do with traditional Confucian thought. When it comes to art, the best stuff is that which most faithfully imitates the master works of the past. There is much less emphasis placed on creativity and the intellectual rights of a creator

If you're in China, you'll see much of their art is 'old' - it's because there is much value replication of 'good' pieces. Similarly, sstudents are praised for their ability to replicate as closely as possible what a master artist has done in the past.

what do we say? "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." And if we look at clothing styles, it's the same. A few years ago, big sunglasses became popular for women - now every major brand carries a version, no?

I'm not saying it's good or right, simply that many do it, and it's part of Chinese culture as well.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 PM

The "Mini" looks like it has down syndrome.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Apr 30 2010, 10:30 AM
Yes, they are still laughable for many reasons, but give it another 5 year and the Japanese, Koreans, & domestics are going to have a problem on their hands.
I'm not so sure. That implies that in 5 years, we can go to the MINI dealership and get a MINI Cooper, or we can go to the Lifan dealership and get a Lifan 320 that's otherwise identical to the MINI Cooper. I just don't see these knockoffs being sold anywhere outside China. Now, that could certainly hurt the US/European/Japanese/Korean/etc manufacturers because they'll miss out on the China market - but I don't see their existing markets being threatened at all. Unless the Chinese, at some point, take the technical expertise they acquire and use that to design and market their OWN car - and from what I'm reading in this thread, that isn't going to happen anytime soon because it's a cultural thing. The Koreans, as a contrast, show every indication of being able to innovate and produce new, interesting products.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt like I was playing Grand Theft Auto there...

Quick Reply: Looks familiar....