Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazda3

Old 08-11-2016, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda3

I'm considering the Mazda3, presumably in s trim (for the 2.5L engine), as a long-distance commuter car (60mi each way). Anyone have one, or spent some time with one? I'm not really committed to manual or automatic. As to hatch vs. sedan, I don't generally care, but I don't really feel like the Kodo design language scales up, and the larger cars look weird. To me the Mazda3 hatch looks like it has a broken back.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

My wife has owned 2 of them. The first gen did 100k trouble free. She skipped the smiley faced gen and owns a current model. Interiors are always a cut about the other competitors and they tend to be more fun to drive. I have only driven it a few times but it seems pleasant but a little more snug than my car. She had and totaled a Ford Focus in between the two 3's and that was a decent car but seemed even more snug.

I think she is at about 40,000 on the current car. She has two offices and the longer commute is 40 miles each way and she has not complained. (She is 5 feet tall though.) No problems on the current car either. Very solid, good quality cars.

I once remarked how impressed I was that I got 38+ mpg in my 328i on a long distance trip. Her response was she gets 36-37mpg on every tank. Those long commutes are usually during very early morning and afternoon commutes with light traffic and a constant cruise between 65 and 70 mph. YMMV.

It does not seem fast to me but I have never really stomped on it. I am not positive which engine she has but she has a leather and NAV touring model so I am guessing it is the 2.5.

Hers is the sedan, and the hatchback would be much more functional for hauling stuff, but it is a bit weird looking. Kind of looks like something from Sea World. I would compare the price with the Mazda 6 as well. It won't be too much more and might be more comfortable if you are taller. That gets more rave reviews than the 3.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a 2007 automatic base sedan and currently have a 2013 Mazdaspeed3 (only come in manual).

For what it is, it's a great car. The engine is never going to be fast but the car is generally fairly light, so it can move. One thing I really like is the steering, it's very light and responsive, making it feel somewhat sporty. Both mazda's we've had have the same steering feel.

I would definitely recommend test driving one, as they are good cars. Never had a single issue with either of ours. 2007 we hit 110k with zero issues. Mazdaspeed3 has 35k and we've literally done only fluids, brakes and tires. All the mazda dealers we've taken the car to have been pretty solid.

I'd be interested to compare the 3 to the 6, they look pretty nice.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I put on 100,000 km on a 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan and I liked it, currently have a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 with 160,000 on it since I picked it up.

The Gen III cars are very nice and highly refined. Looking over even my friends base 2.0 model there are tons of little improvements made in the quality of the materials, aero design through the car. Last weekend I drove to a music festival with a friend in is 2015 Mazda 3, 2.0 (slow), car was super comfortable, very low road noise, seats were comfortable enough for the long 10 hour drive, got absolutely incredible gas mileage given I was driving the absolute piss out of it to pass people on mountain roads. The 2.5 with all the extra torque would have made that more than livable.

If this is your everyday do everything with car I would strongly recommend the hatchback, the sedan looks good but the practicality of a hatch lets you do so much more with it.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad commutes in a light blue 2015 Mazda 3 Grand Touring Sedan with an automatic and the optional 2.5L (only way to go really as it's the bigger of the two engines I think I remember?). It has pretty much all the amenities you'd want, rides nice, and excellent fuel economy. The power with the 2.5l engine is indeed ample for a commuter car (about perfect in my opinion), unless for some reason you like to race/dart your way through traffic-the S2000 is better for that. And at 35 mpg or so, not too shabby, at the current prices just over $2.00 for regular ($2.19 at my Costco), it wouldn't amount to too much in fuel cost.

And it's my favorite car of his he's had, with the exception of the 3 series BMW, except that was (or is now) 16 years older and $10,000 more expensive and less reliable (current prices would be even higher more for a comparable BMW).
Old 08-14-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

FWIW... it is amazing to me that Mazda is not selling more cars than they do. When you read comparison tests, the Mazda 6 generally wins the midsize, the Mazda 3 generally wins the small car, and the CX5 generally wins the small utility tests.

My sister just was looking for a small suv and bought the Rav4. I asked her to test drive a Cx5 and she said "Those are pieces of crap and they blow up."

I don't know where this comes from. Truth be told, my sister is a first class idiot. She is family but a total retard. No lie. Mazda makes wonderful cars. Reliable cars. Fun cars.

Their resale does not hang with Honda and Toyota for whatever reason but they still make top notch vehicles. Her Rav4 is boring.

While it is true, five years from now her Rav4 will bring more on the used market than a CX5, she will not have as much fun driving it or have as nice an interior as the CX5.

Honda and Toyota DESERVE great rating for being rock solidly reliable. But so does Mazda, and at the same time, in many cases deserve and get better ratings for being a sheer pleasure to drive.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I liked the Mazda3 I test-drove a couple months ago, but the backseat is miniscule and the road noise is pretty bad at highway speeds. The dealer said they didn't have a single 2.5L coming their way that they could see in their system, and I would've needed that engine if I'd gone the Mazda3 route. Ended up going with a GTI.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
FWIW... it is amazing to me that Mazda is not selling more cars than they do. When you read comparison tests, the Mazda 6 generally wins the midsize, the Mazda 3 generally wins the small car, and the CX5 generally wins the small utility tests.

My sister just was looking for a small suv and bought the Rav4. I asked her to test drive a Cx5 and she said "Those are pieces of crap and they blow up."

I don't know where this comes from. Truth be told, my sister is a first class idiot. She is family but a total retard. No lie. Mazda makes wonderful cars. Reliable cars. Fun cars.

Their resale does not hang with Honda and Toyota for whatever reason but they still make top notch vehicles. Her Rav4 is boring.

While it is true, five years from now her Rav4 will bring more on the used market than a CX5, she will not have as much fun driving it or have as nice an interior as the CX5.

Honda and Toyota DESERVE great rating for being rock solidly reliable. But so does Mazda, and at the same time, in many cases deserve and get better ratings for being a sheer pleasure to drive.
Agree, Mazda makes some of the best cars, unfortunately people want what they know to be reliable, good cars, even if they aren't as nice or fun as other cars. My boss did that too, she test drove a CX-5 (or maybe it was a CX-3) and she said I really liked it, said it was zippy and fun, then she went out and bought a Prius Wagon even though she didn't seem that happy about the decision.

I really like the 3, but I wish it had more backseat space. A mazda6 wagon would be perfect!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:04 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Agree, Mazda makes some of the best cars, unfortunately people want what they know to be reliable, good cars, even if they aren't as nice or fun as other cars. My boss did that too, she test drove a CX-5 (or maybe it was a CX-3) and she said I really liked it, said it was zippy and fun, then she went out and bought a Prius Wagon even though she didn't seem that happy about the decision.

I really like the 3, but I wish it had more backseat space. A mazda6 wagon would be perfect!
A Mazda6 Wagon would've been my next car, without a doubt.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's got alot to do with brand. They make great cars but they just don't have that brand/marketing that others do for whatever reason.
Personally i like their committment to racing. The dealer we take our car to just moved to a new building and up on the wall they have a massive lighted picture of some sort of formula car. Nothing says "we love racing" like that inside a dealership. Granted the sportiest car they sell at the moment is the miata...but still.

Don't forget, the 2017 3/6 cars are getting their new G-Vectoring systems. Some engineers put several years worth of their free time into developing this crazy system that I have no hope of explaining on here without just posting this article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/29/m...ng-technology/

The basic premise is this: G-Vectoring activates only when the car's on-board computer reads simultaneous steering and throttle input. The data — including throttle position, steering angle, and, crucially, how quickly you're adjusting the steering angle — are then funneled through an algorithm to reduce engine torque, which transfers vehicle weight, adding more grip to the wheels that need it. The system will appear first on 2017 Mazda6 sedans arriving in showrooms later this year, followed by the 2017 Mazda3.
"It's not joy of driving," Hiraishi emphasized, "It's joy from driving. It's what dictates everything we do. At most companies, the finance guys would say 'No way you're spending the resources on something customers won't even notice,' but for us, it's part of a top-to-bottom ideology to make driving as enjoyable and intuitive as possible."
I think as car enthusiasts we can really appreciate the effort they put in.

Quick Reply: Mazda3