Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The more powerful Miata is coming - 181hp in 2019

Old 07-03-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

I'll be honest and say I ddint read through most of this thread, I just wanted to bring an auto enthusiasts perspective to this thread is all.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:33 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

A guy on another forum picked up a RF and is quite pleased with it. But he was under no delusion it was a GT4.

Man, anything that comes out that could compare with the almighty S2K gets vilified. Miata, BRZ/FRS, etc. I don’t miss my AP2 at all and would take a BRZ over it today if I wanted a slow car.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

The BRZ is fun to drive but the engine is definitely nowhere near as interesting as the S2000, either in sound, feel, or general appeal. I do think it's a more tossable car, though, and you "feel" more of the chassis when you drive it. I just don't think it looks as good, sounds as good or goes as good as an S2000. It's a great bargain, though.

I've hemmed and hawed about a BRZ/FT-86 for a cheap daily driver. I'm still not sure I wouldn't get one but getting a sportscar with a "meh" engine just doesn't seem nearly as appealing. Revving out an S2000 feels and sounds special, even if you're not going THAT fast. Revving out a BRZ doesn't really feel like anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by JonBoy:
TrumpetTitan (07-09-2018), WolfpackS2k (07-09-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The BRZ is fun to drive but the engine is definitely nowhere near as interesting as the S2000, either in sound, feel, or general appeal. I do think it's a more tossable car, though, and you "feel" more of the chassis when you drive it. I just don't think it looks as good, sounds as good or goes as good as an S2000. It's a great bargain, though.

I've hemmed and hawed about a BRZ/FT-86 for a cheap daily driver. I'm still not sure I wouldn't get one but getting a sportscar with a "meh" engine just doesn't seem nearly as appealing. Revving out an S2000 feels and sounds special, even if you're not going THAT fast. Revving out a BRZ doesn't really feel like anything.
I agree. A friend lent me his BRZ for a week and I got so bored with it that I started taking my S2k to work again before the week was up. I generally liked it and it managed to handle more progressively than the S2k while being less harsh in daily driving, but that engine was such a let down I found it hard to get that excited about driving it.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:45 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

It's the ugly friend situation. A Miata/BRZ may be good looking, but standing next to an S2000, they just become the ugly one by context.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy

I never found my AP2 engine special. It was always meh to me, but I ride motorcycles so most are. Now a Voodoo, that’s special. S2K = no torque, and you have to redline it to get anything out of it. Always felt like a weak Honda sportbike engine with a very small powerband. Anyone telling me an inline 4 sounds good (with the exception of a crossplane 4) I quit listening right then and there. A Honda V6 sounds good to me, but certainly not their inline 4’s in the cars or bikes. Maybe they’ll get a clue one day and drop a 2 liter V4 in one their cars. HRC is the premier V4 builder on the planet.

Top up it was loud as hell and ended convertibles for me forever. Just too hot here to even use the top down. The brakes were outstanding and the chassis was great too, right up until snap oversteer comes and bites you. I no longer own it for good reason and have never missed it. Today I’d buy the BRZ with the performance pack to get the Sachs and Brembos if I wanted something similar. I like the Boxer, even though Mr. Toyota refuses to add forced induction. If it was for DD purposes I’d skip it though and get a FiST, more functionality for something to daily drive. RWD doesn’t matter to me in bumper to bumper commutes, or when picking up groceries, going to the dentist, etc. That’s mundane bs driving.

Different strokes anyway. I did a track day in Utah a few months ago on 4 wheels. It confirmed why I prefer AWD over RWD and have since I bought that STI 10 years ago. It was snowing all morning and we were on MPSS. None of us slowed down, backed off, etc. It was fantastic, full blast around the circuit, even with snow falling. Couldn’t do that in a RWD platform.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:18 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I never found my AP2 engine special. It was always meh to me, but I ride motorcycles so most are.
I race a 14,000rpm bike, I still found the 9000-rpm F20C pretty fun

Anyone telling me an inline 4 sounds good (with the exception of a crossplane 4) I quit listening right then and there.
Flat-plane inline 4s *scream* whereas cross-plane I-4 sound more flat. Personally I like the sound of the screamier engines, but love it when there are a variety of different configurations and sounds in motorcycle racing

Maybe they’ll get a clue one day and drop a 2 liter V4 in one their cars. HRC is the premier V4 builder on the planet.
IMO a V4 is the ideal powerplant configuration for a smallish lightweight sports car. I4 is too long and too TALL given modern pedestrian impact regulations. A V4 sports could have a shorter wheelbase, much lower hoodline and cowl and also have improved f/r weight distribution vs I4. H4 isn't ideal bacause struts are kinda required due to cylinder heads occupying space where upper wishbone would go, and also c.g. height isn't that low because the crank, flywheel, clutch and trans end up sitting a lot higher vs. V- or inline engines.

Today I’d buy the BRZ with the performance pack to get the Sachs and Brembos if I wanted something similar. I like the Boxer, even though Mr. Toyota refuses to add forced induction. If it was for DD purposes I’d skip it though and get a FiST, more functionality for something to daily drive. RWD doesn’t matter to me in bumper to bumper commutes, or when picking up groceries, going to the dentist, etc. That’s mundane bs driving.
Not a huge fan of boxer (see above), but BRZ PP was the answer for me anyway. Steering feel, shifting feel, and yes, rwd matter to me for daily-driving, and for trackwork it's a must.

Different strokes anyway. I did a track day in Utah a few months ago on 4 wheels. It confirmed why I prefer AWD over RWD and have since I bought that STI 10 years ago. It was snowing all morning and we were on MPSS. None of us slowed down, backed off, etc. It was fantastic, full blast around the circuit, even with snow falling. Couldn’t do that in a RWD platform.
My one and only FTD with the club I do time-trials competition with (COMSCC) was on a late-November day at Lime Rock. It started snowing lightly just before I went out for my run. This was in a decidedly rwd 240Z RWD 4evah!
The following users liked this post:
TrumpetTitan (07-09-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:20 AM

Received 420 Likes on 319 Posts

I never found my AP2 engine special. It was always meh to me, but I ride motorcycles so most are. Now a Voodoo, that’s special. S2K = no torque, and you have to redline it to get anything out of it. Always felt like a weak Honda sportbike engine with a very small powerband. Anyone telling me an inline 4 sounds good (with the exception of a crossplane 4) I quit listening right then and there. A Honda V6 sounds good to me, but certainly not their inline 4’s in the cars or bikes. Maybe they’ll get a clue one day and drop a 2 liter V4 in one their cars. HRC is the premier V4 builder on the planet.

Top up it was loud as hell and ended convertibles for me forever. Just too hot here to even use the top down. The brakes were outstanding and the chassis was great too, right up until snap oversteer comes and bites you. I no longer own it for good reason and have never missed it. Today I’d buy the BRZ with the performance pack to get the Sachs and Brembos if I wanted something similar. I like the Boxer, even though Mr. Toyota refuses to add forced induction. If it was for DD purposes I’d skip it though and get a FiST, more functionality for something to daily drive. RWD doesn’t matter to me in bumper to bumper commutes, or when picking up groceries, going to the dentist, etc. That’s mundane bs driving.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Inappropriate content removed .

Last edited by Saki GT; 07-06-2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Violation of site policies
Old 07-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 420 Likes on 319 Posts

You're legitimately a bad person.

Quick Reply: The more powerful Miata is coming - 181hp in 2019