Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Most Enjoyable Car to Own for 65~80K CDN?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Most Enjoyable Car to Own for 65~80K CDN?

I am lusting for something new in the coming year or 2. And I realize the more and more I look there is really nothing under 50k that I would ultimately be happy with. There are 3 cars I have been looking at a lot lately that I think I could be happy with either one, but I am torn. These would all be more than likely 2nd car options, not daily driven, or driven in the winter.

In order of price:

1. Audi TT RS
Pro's: Exclusivity (not a common car on the road at all)
Awesome power to weight ratio and great acceleration at low speeds due to AWD.
Lowest price of my options I like.
Easy to bolt on a lot more extra power (50 horsepower from tune alone).
Relatively light weight 3300 pound curb weight.

Con's: Soundtrack sucks, I am sure this can be cured a little bit but, I am realizing more and more that anything less than a V8 just doesn't cut it for me on the noise anymore.
Turbo Lag
2 Seats (not a big deal...but who doesn't love sharing the fun?)

2. Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe or Sedan
Pro's: By far the best sounding car in my small group.
Best power to weight means pulls like a freight train even at highway speeds.
Torque everywhere, copious amounts of it.
RWD drifting hoonage on occasion.
Roomy, seats 4 'comfortably' (sedan more so)

Cons': Just under 4000lb curb weight is going to be noticeable...even though it does turn out good lap times, I think its more from the power to weight than it is a great controllable chassis.
Handsome, but less eye-catching than a TT RS or my next option.

3. Cayman R
Pro's: Lightest of the bunch at 3000lbs, probably the most fun to drive.
So well sorted from the factory, very unlikely to want to spend any money on aftermarket.
Also pretty rare, and of course it has the Porsche badge.
Mid Engined

Con's: Most expensive of the bunch.
Soundtrack also sucks (sorry Cayman owners), I only mean compared to the C63.
Not easy to make really fast in a straight line without going F/I which I don't want to do. (only mild modding at best)
Least practical of the bunch.

What are your thoughts ladies and jellyspoons? Any others that should be considered when someone wants to buy something sporty in this price range?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea if people are already selling 1M's on the used market. If so, I feel like that would satisfy a lot of your demands.

It would have 4 seats, be pretty easy to mod, be pretty light weight, really rare, and you could get your RWD drifting hoonage on. On the down side, you might not like the looks and the soundtrack might not be your favorite either.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's your only car, C63 all the way. If it's a second car/toy then Cayman R. Alternatively used GT-R.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 PM

No Lotus options?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:47 PM

1M is fast and cheaper than these options, but it sure is boring to look at...sure is a hell of an option if I decide to keep my budget more reasonable. I had thought about Lotus, loved them for years...all the new Lotus' just don't do it for me, lack of close by dealers hurts their chances of getting me as a customer too.

If I also went cheaper (down to 1M sort of level) than I would also have to consider the Boss Mustang.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would encourage at least a test drive of a GS or Z06 vette. You might be surprised. Also, if you are considering the C63, you might check out a CTSV or M5. As said above, a Lotus should be on your radar if you are willing to deal with it's shortcomings. And don't ignore a Boxster s, either new or since the last update.

Out of your specific choices I'd lean towards the Cayman R the most. But I'd have to at drive them all, since I haven't gotten to drive any of those yet. (The Boxster S REALLY impressed me, I didn't think that it would be as good as it was. And the overall performance of a GS is amazing once you get used to how it wants to be driven.)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:11 PM

Not sure I would want to live with cayman R everyday.... But it looks great and is certainly the best sports car of the three.
I have a soft spot for the amg, but the gas is so egregious and the tire expense has gotta add up.
The ttrs is attractive but I am not into awd and all the associated weight. Great interior though...
If it were me, I would probably wind upon a cayman r and be sick of the ride and lack of creature comforts in no time...
If outside these three,I would pick up a boxster or cayman s and call it a day.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Someone beat me to it and the car's another porker but test drive a CTS-V coupe or sedan to contrast with the Merc. Same formula different panache.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM

Forgot about the Vette and how cheap they are. Grand Sport is like mid 70's
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by budgy
1M is fast and cheaper than these options, but it sure is boring to look at...sure is a hell of an option if I decide to keep my budget more reasonable. I had thought about Lotus, loved them for years...all the new Lotus' just don't do it for me, lack of close by dealers hurts their chances of getting me as a customer too.

If I also went cheaper (down to 1M sort of level) than I would also have to consider the Boss Mustang.
I've never thought much of the C63 either. The C63 coupe really looks like an Accord coupe. I'm sort of surprised the 1M is cheap. I thought they were around TT-RS prices?

Quick Reply: Most Enjoyable Car to Own for 65~80K CDN?