Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Muscle Car HP Wars Heat Up

Old 07-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1,Jul 28 2006, 10:21 AM
True, I hear so many people try to justify the efficiency of these thing by saying its theoretically capable of 28-30 but will deliver that maybe one tank in its design life.

400hp and great miles per gallon do not go hand in hand. Thats not to say I have anything against a 400hp car per se, it is to say that anyone who thinks it will be a great, highly practical DD is probably kidding themselves.
I think you can do a lot with gears, cams, and displacement on demand. The 500hp Z06 is getting close to 30 on the highway, right? The whole Jekyll and Hyde concept really doesn't appeal to me though. If you are getting a monster car, you ought to just get a second sub-2 liter econobox to balance things out.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need a mullet to buy one, or can I grow it in after the fact?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Jul 27 2006, 07:24 PM
Muscle cars and sports cars aren't about the price per gallon of gas or any rationality, they are about desire and gas prices don't even enter into the picture.
Yes, yes, yes. You are absolutely right. Those peole you described are just like us: car enthusiasts. But how many car enthusiasts are there?

Let's assume the following about the public:
15% are considered car enthusiasts.
85% are just treating cars as an appliance.

Now, the Challenger (or any sports cars and muscle cars) appeal to the 15% car enthusiasts based on desire. Rationality and economy are not considered when we want a sports car or muscle car.

Take a look at Toyota. Anything in its line-up that even creates a tiny bit of driving excitement? None! Yet Toyota is poised to take over GM by the end of this year when the number crunchings are finished. Why? Toyota's products appeal to the rest 85% of the not-so-discerning public.

Dodge already has Viper, Magnum, Ram, and Charger. They do not need an "image booster", that's why I think the Challenger does not make good business sense. Like I said eariler, for two years the enthusiasts will be scooping it up fast, after that the sale is going to take a nose dive.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

"Muscle cars and sports cars aren't about the price per gallon of gas or any rationality, they are about desire and gas prices don't even enter into the picture."

I guess I am just a complete freak then because I am an auto enthusiast and I always take fuel efficiency into account.

If two cars have the same performance and about the same appeal I'll take the one with the better fuel milage. I must be a total kook.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 AM

Saw these on FerrariChat.com =)

Camaro SS looked real sick!!

One is a Trans Am =) it also pretty dope tho...
Old 07-28-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it, but the 6.1 liter would be more than competitive if they can keep the weight of this thing down to the 3300 pound range. How much is this thing going to run ? If it is in Z06 territory, forget about it. If it has the 425 hp Hemi, and is in the high 30K range, it's competitor should be the 400 hp Corvette & 3800 lb. Cobra, not the 505 hp Z06.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by tinkfist,Jul 28 2006, 08:20 AM
If you are getting a monster car, you ought to just get a second sub-2 liter econobox to balance things out.
Maybe there's an idea here that can help DaimlerChrysler meet their CAFE numbers. Pay full price for a Challenger, get a base model Caliber for free.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

Look at Honda. Honda has the highest CAFE in all auto manufacturers who sell cars and trucks in the United States. Honda can't even sell Ridgelines and Pilots without heavy incentives ($2000 and $3000 respectively). Take for granted the Pilot is old, but then again it points out that 'newness' and gas mileage play important roles nowadays.
Honda maintains that claim to fame because they still sell (very few) Insights. A car that is totally impractical for all but a few. Gas may be up, but look at the percentage of trucks and SUV's all auto makers sell. This thing at least stands a chance of seeing upper 20's; which is better than most including the S2000.

True, I hear so many people try to justify the efficiency of these thing by saying its theoretically capable of 28-30 but will deliver that maybe one tank in its design life.
Apply that to the S2000. Driven as it should be, which is to say as a sports car it returns high teens. There is something to be said for your logic, but it is coming from a questionable source.

I guess I am just a complete freak then because I am an auto enthusiast and I always take fuel efficiency into account.
In that case, the new miata awaits you.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Jul 28 2006, 07:26 AM
Do I need a mullet to buy one, or can I grow it in after the fact?
Nah, Honda fanboys can just stick with their current hair gel and spikes.

Quick Reply: Muscle Car HP Wars Heat Up