Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Alfa Romeo 4C

Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1413213212' post='23367461
The dealer network is a shit show. who knows the retention value it will have.
I'd take Fiat's dealer network over Lotus' anyday. Fiat is a huge, financially stable automaker, while Lotus just struggles to get by year after year.
what fiat dealer network? Fiat dealers have no information about this car. They barely know anything about the car, if their gonna get the car; etc etc. Their dealers are also struggling to stay open. The network might be better eventually but the way they've been handling the car has been horrible. Lotus has established dealers & independent service shops near most main cities.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
what fiat dealer network? Fiat dealers have no information about this car. They barely know anything about the car, if their gonna get the car; etc etc. Their dealers are also struggling to stay opening. The network might be better eventually but the way they've been handling the car has been horrible. Lotus has established dealers & independent service shops near most main cities.
Would have to agree.

Alfa needs to be in both Fiat and Maserati stand alone dealers. Maserati is that good middle gap between the entry Fiats and higher range Maserati. As much as been published, only few handful of dealers will get Alfa initially. Very odd strategy.

For the few Lotus dealers in USA, at least they are there and know how to fix their products.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1413249922' post='23368375
what fiat dealer network? Fiat dealers have no information about this car. They barely know anything about the car, if their gonna get the car; etc etc. Their dealers are also struggling to stay opening. The network might be better eventually but the way they've been handling the car has been horrible. Lotus has established dealers & independent service shops near most main cities.
Would have to agree.

Alfa needs to be in both Fiat and Maserati stand alone dealers. Maserati is that good middle gap between the entry Fiats and higher range Maserati. As much as been published, only few handful of dealers will get Alfa initially. Very odd strategy.

For the few Lotus dealers in USA, at least they are there and know how to fix their products.
exactly. Also, besides the dealers, we have a ton of good independent shops that do great work, & great information on the lotus forums. The 4C will be low volume, with a unproven dealer system. Not something I want to use my $70k towards.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Figured it was time to revive this thread now that the 4C is arriving in showrooms, people have taken delivery. From what I have read on some other car forums (people who now currently own one or have driven one), this car is the real deal. Interior is good quality, easier to get in and out of than Elise, highway driving is comfortable and generally quality is good.

Have anyone had a chance to drive one yet?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Never driven nor seen one in person. My curiosity was piqued by the statement in the Performance Car of the Year Comparison on Motortrend
(?) that the car got demerits for always being in the wrong gear and not in the meat of the powerband.

To me, it looks like a great machine and would be great to drive but the lack of ANY storage space, the lack of a manual, and on top of that an auto that has big flaws makes for a hard pill to swallow. The transmission programming is something they could sort out fairly quickly I would imagine, and if the dual clutch auto is in good working order it would be more livable. The storage thing is a big one though. Just a weekend trip is tough.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Never driven nor seen one in person. My curiosity was piqued by the statement in the Performance Car of the Year Comparison on Motortrend
(?) that the car got demerits for always being in the wrong gear and not in the meat of the powerband.

To me, it looks like a great machine and would be great to drive but the lack of ANY storage space, the lack of a manual, and on top of that an auto that has big flaws makes for a hard pill to swallow. The transmission programming is something they could sort out fairly quickly I would imagine, and if the dual clutch auto is in good working order it would be more livable. The storage thing is a big one though. Just a weekend trip is tough.

I don't know what you mean that it lacks "ANY storage space". It has a 3.7 cubic foot trunk that is very suitcase shaped. I never had a problem going away for a weekend (or even a week) in the S2000 (it has a 5.0 cubic foot trunk for reference).

I mean, it's no C7 (15 cubic feet) but it should work fine for jaunts over to the coast or countryside.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I love this car but have a few idealogical issues it with. So it's a elise type of car, focusing more on the sport/track experience vs. being a good all arounder/gt type car which most sports cars dance the line on, yet it's not a nurburgring burner in terms of speed yet it only comes with an auto trans. I mean I get why high end sports cars come with the DSG gearboxes, flat out their faster, and when those cars marketing focus on their potential track times, it makes sense. It also makes sense for touring cars or cars that are positioned to potentially serve as a daily, like a vette or m3, because you get the ease of an auto (yet both of them still offer sticks). But this car is a more hardcore, sports minded car, I get offering an auto but no stick option? Then there is the lack of storage/cabin space and to me it's just sorta what's the point. Well it is beautiful, and I'm sure it drives wonderfully. I guess it is a not so poor man's exotic, because I doubt that many of these will get hardcore track duty like the Elise. Perhaps it will be the dentists' ferrari. Don't get me wrong, I'd take one in silver with the longest warranty they got.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

8:04 is certainly not a slow Nurburgring time. In fact, I think it set the record for a car of its power level and its certainly faster around the ring than any stock Elise/Exige.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1418229461' post='23432804

I don't know what you mean that it lacks "ANY storage space". It has a 3.7 cubic foot trunk that is very suitcase shaped. I never had a problem going away for a weekend (or even a week) in the S2000 (it has a 5.0 cubic foot trunk for reference).

I mean, it's no C7 (15 cubic feet) but it should work fine for jaunts over to the coast or countryside.

My bad. I thought it had about 2 cubic feet.

What would really worry me about it most is how wide it is. I love the wide look, it is totally cool, but leaving it in a parking lot anywhere close to other cars will result in tons on dings. I would be in a panic if I parked it in a nearly full lot and left it.

I would love it, however if these had the same dip Elises had when they first got here. Unloved and cheap used, before the enthusiasts sought them out and drove up the price. A low miler for $35k would be sweet. At retail, I'd still go Cayman. I am a total fanboy for that car.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
8:04 is certainly not a slow Nurburgring time. In fact, I think it set the record for a car of its power level and its certainly faster around the ring than any stock Elise/Exige.
Fair point.

Quick Reply: New Alfa Romeo 4C