Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New Car input-UPDATED

Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
I'd go Evo X. I couldn't get an STI knowing the Evo exists. The Evo is just a better driver's car in every way. It also looks much, much better to me. Bonus is you can make a lot more power on the stock turbo/fuel in the Evo than you can in the Subaru. People hit 340+whp with just exhaust and tune. You need a turbo upgrade to do that in the STI. Also, don't they still have ringland issues? I know a chunk of those were due to the poor tune but I feel like those cars were still prone to failure even with a solid custom tune from mile 0.
Agree with you on most of those points minus the fact that:
1) IMO, EVO interior (minus the seats) are worse than the STI. Comfort is a big deal according to the OP.
2) EVO has their own fair share of issues like the ringland on the STI. I believe the transfer case is a good example.
3) IMO stock for stock, EVO X doesn't look as good as most gen STI.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:42 PM

New Focus ST hatch. Nice car, but would be pretty basic in order to keep the MSRP under $25k. Decent mileage, new car (molested only by you), warranty.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My other car is an acura tl, a 04 with the 6 speed and excellent factory nav and every other option known to man!
since I got it used in 2005 from a friend @ 24,000 miles, it now has 86,000. It has been excellent, returning 24 every day mpg and 32 on trips, with an average of 28.

I love this car. What i don't like is front wheel drive, evern though it has brembo front brakes, heaftier sway bars and lsd it has torque steer with its 270 hp 3.2.t.

It is larger than the other cars in your thread. I love it still.

I have put 4 way koni's on it, new front brakes at 45,000, a crank pully, steering wheel light bulbs, rear brake light...all that in over 8 years, the normal maintenance has been oil changes, filters, etc...the repairs have run less than 2,000. It is a great car and worth whatever you may pay for it...in that it was one in 40 made with a 6 speed.

It is not small or nimble, it is near luxury and not truely a performance oriented car but can do 0-60 in about 6 seconds or less. nice quality, designed in LA and made in Ohio if that matters. the 04-08 are essentially the same sans the S model which has 4 exaust pipe tips and 3.5 lt engine with a tad more hp.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM

I second the Focus ST. It wins the hot hatch segment for now:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...s.-mazdaspeed3

Slightly less max hp and torque than the MS3, but wins the 0-60 (depends on driver), and ultimately the 1/4 mile (depends on driver) because it has more torque in the usable range. It's driving is as refined as the GTI, but wins every performance category over it, including EPA estimated fuel economy. Can be bought NEW for $25k. German suspension tuning, but Ford reliability and American priced parts. But the Mazdaspeed has some very established turbo tuning if you're interested in that but make sure you don't go zoom zoom BOOM...

Top Gear magazine says ST, "In fact, it might be the best do-everything fast car in the world..."
http://www.topgear.com/uk/ford/focus...test/st-driven

Here's a track review that may be biased, but offers some great perspective. Description of driving dynamics supports every magazine track review:
http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-per...ay-review.html

Note:
On your list Evo wins performance category easy, but is by far the least comfortable in terms of ride quality. STi is expensive used if you want a decent one, and Evo is faster. WRX and MS6 are great choices if you can find good ones. But the ST you can get NEW for your price range and has the added benefit of ride quality and fuel mileage for your daily driving. My other vote would also be for a Pontiac G8 GT, but they're hard to find, so typically expensive, and is the least good in snow (400 lb ft of torque and rwd).
Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1349979792' post='22075573
Why do I feel like I've read this thread like 100 times before?
because people hate search
Ya because there's been so much going on in car talk lately.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zoidberg
I second the Focus ST. It wins the hot hatch segment for now:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...s.-mazdaspeed3

Slightly less max hp and torque than the MS3, but wins the 0-60 (depends on driver), and ultimately the 1/4 mile (depends on driver) because it has more torque in the usable range. It's driving is as refined as the GTI, but wins every performance category over it, including EPA estimated fuel economy. Can be bought NEW for $25k. German suspension tuning, but Ford reliability and American priced parts. But the Mazdaspeed has some very established turbo tuning if you're interested in that but make sure you don't go zoom zoom BOOM...

Top Gear magazine says ST, "In fact, it might be the best do-everything fast car in the world..."
http://www.topgear.com/uk/ford/focus...test/st-driven

Here's a track review that may be biased, but offers some great perspective. Description of driving dynamics supports every magazine track review:
http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-per...ay-review.html

Note:
On your list Evo wins performance category easy, but is by far the least comfortable in terms of ride quality. STi is expensive used if you want a decent one, and Evo is faster. WRX and MS6 are great choices if you can find good ones. But the ST you can get NEW for your price range and has the added benefit of ride quality and fuel mileage for your daily driving. My other vote would also be for a Pontiac G8 GT, but they're hard to find, so typically expensive, and is the least good in snow (400 lb ft of torque and rwd).
Really good points. Thanks for the input.

I agree with you on all points, used Sti's are insanely overpriced! I've never driven an Evo X so I'd like to see the ride quality. I think the MS3 is the best bang for the buck, but I remember hearing nightmarish things about reliability. The ST I will def have to try out. G8 GT is out for me unless they weren't expensive.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM

The GTI is a really nice care, but 200hp? They need to step that up.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by macdaddies911
I agree with you on all points, used Sti's are insanely overpriced! I've never driven an Evo X so I'd like to see the ride quality. I think the MS3 is the best bang for the buck, but I remember hearing nightmarish things about reliability...
Well if you've been driving the S2k, then you probably won't be so bothered by the Evo ride quality. The Evo, as you already know, has decent space and AWD, so it's got a lot going for practicality.

But if you're daily driving, the ride quality and fuel mileage may eat away at you. Evo has good seats, but everything else about the interior is meh, as with the Mazda and the Subie. So these things don't seem to be deal breakers for you, but they're definitely considerations.

I do really like the Mazdaseed3/6. But they're aging quickly. Still the best bang for your buck, with surprising potential for engine tuning, and a mechanical LSD. There's just a few things to understand about reliability of that car and you'll be fine. It has seen it's share of engine failures, but they're easily avoidable. The first one that was most surprising is if you go full throttle at low rpms in a high gear, it can overstress the engine and has led to some failures. It can be easily avoided by simply downshifting, and you're definitely fond of that from the S2k. The other common problem is if you do some mods, most notoriously replacing the downpipe, then you must get it tuned and you must replace the high pressure fuel pump. These are the notorious cases of poor reliability, but are easily avoided.

There are some exciting choices here! These all-around cars nowadays do have their compromises, but they're becoming pretty damn fun as well.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 AM

IMHO any fwd and fast = under steer and torque steer and is not fun to drive. I'll only drive rwd or awd. My Evo x mr is actually more fun than my old s2000. It actually gives the gtr a run for it'd money. Evo x all the way.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll through a wildcard out that will piss off everybody and their brother that I even mention it.

HHR SS, manual. Ugly as crap, handles shockingly well, fairly quick with 260hp stock, very comfortable in spite of acres of ugly plastic inside, and inexpensive to buy. I drove one because a friend asked me to and I ended up buying it. No one was more surprised than me. It truly was an affordable do everything DD. Crossover like room to haul things, ample rear seat room, and sleeper looks. I drove mine over 40,000 miles with an overall mpg of over 27, and never had a single repair.

Quick Reply: New Car input-UPDATED