Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Next Generation nissan Z (z35)

Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Next Generation nissan Z (z35)

A lot of speculation are circling, one of the most recent ones was the GT6 mystery car reveal - a lot of people are predicting that this is infact the next generation Z due to the close relationship between Nissan and GT games.
Last but not least it closely matches to the next gen Z outline that Jay Lenos saw in Japan.

Last but not least it closely matches to the next gen Z outline that Jay Lenos saw in japan.

Anyways from the current rumors looks like the current VQ37HR is going to remain as the powerplant maybe with direct injection, a new 7 speed rev match manual is also speculated to increase the EPA mpg ratings.
Seeing as the competitor this car will be aimed at is still the cayman s/ mustang gt, can we expect to see a significant curb weight decrease
Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I think that ginormous engine must be a large part of the reason the 370Z's nose is so damn bloated and enormous and why despite being a 2-seat rwd "sports car" it has such a Mustangesque 54/46 weight distribution

I'd rather they developed a much smaller/lighter-weight/lower-profile engine for the Z than stick with the VQ37.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think they're more than amortized their VQ development costs. Time to start fresh w/ a new design.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd just be happy if Nissan didn't import some styling DNA from the Juke... it's about the only way they could make the current Z look worse.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
I think that ginormous engine must be a large part of the reason the 370Z's nose is so damn bloated and enormous and why despite being a 2-seat rwd "sports car" it has such a Mustangesque 54/46 weight distribution

I'd rather they developed a much smaller/lighter-weight/lower-profile engine for the Z than stick with the VQ37.
Or... continue making the 370z a bigger GT car and reintroduce a modern 240sx that competes with the FRS and miata
Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The outline of the top image looks a lot like the GT-86 to me. The shape of the rounded front fenders, point of the nose, etc. Not to say the next Z might have GT-86 "inspired" shape. I don't have a Playstation tho so I am not sure if the GT-86 is in GT5 already.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the V6 is here to stay with the Z cars. I don't think it's wise for them to go after the BRZ weight goal which would require a decrease in engine size and power. compete with the Mustang and power cars. Improve the VVT system and transmission. Get rid of the horridly large rear fender look. keep providing good aero for the Nismo model but also a Carbon roof and hatch option.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

The problem with the 350z and 370z is that the engine really dictates a lot about the car (weight, size, etc.) and the engine just can't really hand with more powerful cars in the segment.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the VQ engines but it's a big, heavy way to make 300 hp. Meanwhile, you have Mustangs that have engines that are marginally heavier if not relatively the same weight that make an extra 100 hp.

A 2,800 lb 370z would be more like it, but you can't get 600+ lbs of weight out of that car and still keep that big engine without further skewing the weight distribution. I'm fine with the overall size of the 370z, but it's just too heavy to have that little power and compete against the Mustang.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

They aren't going to get rid of the larger engine; that's sort of what defines the Z. I agree with the post above that Nissan should introduce a Silvia successor to go with the Z.

I've always though of the Z as the Japanese equivalent of a muscle car...not quite super car like the GTR and not quite sports car like the MX5.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by d16tof22
They aren't going to get rid of the larger engine; that's sort of what defines the Z.
The definitive Z had a 2.4 liter. The 350 and 370 are definitely more ZX's as far as I'm concerned...

I agree with the post above that Nissan should introduce a Silvia successor to go with the Z.
Totally agree! IMO, the Silvia should be pretty much the FR-S/BRZ, but with a 225+ hp 2.5 liter 4. Z should be on the same platform but a dedicated 2-seater with the engine/firewall/windshield/front-seaters shoved way aft for better weight distribution, with a more powerful engine. Turbo 4 would be fine with me, or a compact/lightweight 6. BOTH should weigh in at 2800 lb or less.

I've always though of the Z as the Japanese equivalent of a muscle car...not quite super car like the GTR and not quite sports car like the MX5.
The BEST Z, the ONLY "Z" as far as I'm concerned, was no muscle car! GTR and Infiniti G-series (now stupidly called Q-something-or-other) are the Nissan muscle cars!

Quick Reply: Next Generation nissan Z (z35)