Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Not an S2K - 2009 Civic SI Premature Clutch Wear?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not an S2K - 2009 Civic SI Premature Clutch Wear?

I know a Civic SI is not an S, but as a proud owner of now a 10 year old S2K, I thought the esteemed gear heads could help me out on this one.

Here's the story.

My oldest son graduated from college and is now indepent and doing well (thank goodness). He decides to buy his first new car, a 2009 Civic SI.

After about 3 months, I noticed he seemed to be revving awfully high when engaging first gear. He told me he had to because the clutch engagement point was way high. I didn't believe him so I drove it. Sure enough, the clutch didn't engage until the pedal was fully out and high to rev high to prevent stalling. He says it's always been that way. Way different than my S.

So, I tell him to take it to the dealership because that's just not right. Dealership says, "All cars are different and it's ok" and does nothing. Now, we are 5 months down the road and the clutch starts slipping last week. The car has 11,995 miles on it.

Before you go and say the problem is between the seat and the steering wheel, let me give you this info. First, I taught him to drive a standard which is all I've driven for the last 25 years. I told him how to prevent wear, dead pedal use, launch, all that. Second, he has owned two previous MT cars including a Mazdaspeed Protege (turbo'd) for 3 years with no clutch problems at all. Third, he babys this car much more than he ever did the Protege.

So, of course, the dealership and Honda says they won't cover it because it's a wear part. They've torn it down, I've seen it, and it is completely gone. (See pictures).

Any advice or experience here is greatly appreciated.

Image links (embedded below):
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Old 01-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

sounds like the car was out of adjustment if the revs were that high engaging first like you said and the clutch was slipping too much. I think you answered your own question. or that he isnt the greatest and shifting and didnt rev match that well causing premature wear. weve all heard those guys driving not rev matching worth a shit.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

How many miles on the car? Was it bought brand new?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 5 2010, 02:16 PM
How many miles on the car? Was it bought brand new?
Brand New, Current odometer 11,995
Old 01-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like a bad driver burned the clutch up. It doesn't take vary many miles...
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
pdj

how "high" were the revs? I have an 09 also
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM

First, it was not a bad driver. If you read my initial post, the driver had two previous MT cars including a turbo charged Protege and never had a clutch problem after 3 years.

The revs for first got up into the 3k+ range. On my S2000, I never get above 2 in 1st.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM

maybe he doesnt know how to drive the car? or dumped the clutch couple times.. only he really knows.. all cars are diff but if you know how to drive a manual car its easy..
Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Sounds like a classic between the seat and the steering wheel to me, and that's exactly how Honda sees it as well which is why they are denying coverage.

"Clutch engagement is really high so I have to rev it to 3k ..." = I burnt the clutch out because I can't slip a clutch properly. Honestly, how long do you expect a clutch to last in the hands of someone who takes off at 3k rpm at every stop? And unless he's taking off like a bat out of hell he's riding it for quite some time on every launch.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Sounds like a couple failed launches OR they messed up the install - if enough grease or oil got into the clutch, it'd definitely do what your son said it did..slip like hell, create a lot of heat and then burn up everything. Change the clutch yourself, do it right, and make sure your kid's driving it properly...shouldn't happen again.

Quick Reply: Not an S2K - 2009 Civic SI Premature Clutch Wear?