Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Official Audi RS5 photos... finally

Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the car, but I would rather save some coins and just grab an S5 and add a supercharger. I think the power is on the tame side. I was expecting a bit more, and I think it *needs* more torque and more power to set it apart from the S5. From what I have seen and read, the S5 actually has more torque 0.o.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. WOT,Feb 23 2010, 05:30 PM
I respectfully disagree. Most of the v10 R8 reviews I've read say the extra power doesn't make for a better car. And how many choose the C63 over the M3 despite a similar power deficit? I'd guess I see the BMW 5:1 over the MB.

The (brilliant) M3 is obviously this is a high bar to set for Audi, but they damn near did it with the B7 RS4, and now this is their first RS model to ride on the B8 platform, which is considerably better balanced. Add that trick new differential and if this thing can dance like I hope it will, 450 NA horses will make for more than enough performance.

How fast do you guys need to go anyway? IMHO, unless we're talking supercars, once you get over 400hp power figures become marketing copy rather than performance metrics.
Yeah, some reviews I have read had raved about the V8 R8, calling it perfectly balanced, though SOME people said that if you had priced the car in the 911 Turbo range it should be able to match up with that car. The 420 hp car could not do that (though it did well against the regular Carrera S' & Carrera 4S). So some people have said that when you are in supercar territory prices it should deliver supercar level performance across the board which it now does. Though some other people have said the $20K price differential is too great.

It's all a matter of perspective. For example when the Autorides WebTV show compared the M3 vs. the GT-R vs. GT3 it was hopelessly outclassed. Though one wonders if those are it's true competitors.

With the RS5 slated to be approximately $20K more expensive than an M3 & coming to market 2 years later, you would hope that they would not set the bar at the M3, but substantially above it. I guess this is Audi's MO as the previous gen RS4 was priced substantially above M3 & AMG C car in the last generation as well.

HP wars are in full effect. Whether one considers the bar 400 hp, then another comparably priced car comes out with 500 hp, & now 550 hp, etc. At the price levels that they pay, they expect more. Something akin to The Cadillac CTSV coming out with 567 hp, so the FAST 500 hp M5 was not enough, and now they have a new upcoming M5 which will boast 550+ hp.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Feb 20 2010, 03:06 PM] You may be the first person I've heard that says the A5/S5/RS5 exterior is ugly.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Feb 23 2010, 03:50 PM
Faster than the car in front of us heading onto the main straight, obviously.

Seriously, the differences in power are purely academic UNTIL you drive one in anger. Then, it actually can (and will) make a difference. 40 extra hp adds up to another three or four mph on a decent straight, which equates to a buslength or two by the time you hit the braking zone. That's enough to make a safe pass.

I can definitely say that if this motor produces a lot more power than the current 4.2L V8 I'm going to be pissed. Everyone tells me I'm crazy, and that going from a chipped M5 to a S5 is the real reason, but I think my S5 is quite a bit slower than it could be - this would be the first car I've ever felt that in. Don't get me wrong; it is plenty fast. I can just tell, when driving it, that it isn't as fast as it *should* be from the factory.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Feb 24 2010, 08:07 AM

I can definitely say that if this motor produces a lot more power than the current 4.2L V8 I'm going to be pissed. Everyone tells me I'm crazy, and that going from a chipped M5 to a S5 is the real reason, but I think my S5 is quite a bit slower than it could be - this would be the first car I've ever felt that in. Don't get me wrong; it is plenty fast. I can just tell, when driving it, that it isn't as fast as it *should* be from the factory.
I had the same feeling when I test drove one last year. Was gorgoues to look at, great interior, drove fine... but was very underwhelming and almost felt "slow".

I think part of it is the AWD and of course the weight - it sure feels solid, but at the end of the day the car wasn't very athletic - Very different from 'similar' cars like the E46 M3.

Its like the S2000 in the sense that its one of those cars that feels like its built to handle more power - throw another 150-200hp at it!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye,Feb 22 2010, 03:49 PM
For those that always act stupid and act like they don't understand how a Corvette interior should be built - look at any of Audis products. Simply stunning.
What are you talking about? No one has ever claimed (to my knowledge), that the Corvette interior is even close to even a base Audi interior. However, it's not supposed to be. GM traded performance and powertrain engineering and durability for a less attractive interior. The Corvette was built to a price point.

Audi's are also built to a price point, albeit a higher one (except for a base A4/A3). The powertrains are more anemic and bland and you inherit durability/reliability issues with the electronics. In exchange, you get a pretty interior.

Different strokes. I'll take 0 to 100mph in less than 8 seconds and a track day a** kicker for my $50k while another person will prefer a pretty looking Audi to drive around town in.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 24 2010, 09:42 AM
What are you talking about? No one has ever claimed (to my knowledge), that the Corvette interior is even close to even a base Audi interior. However, it's not supposed to be. GM traded performance and powertrain engineering and durability for a less attractive interior. The Corvette was built to a price point.

Audi's are also built to a price point, albeit a higher one (except for a base A4/A3). The powertrains are more anemic and bland and you inherit durability/reliability issues with the electronics. In exchange, you get a pretty interior.

Different strokes. I'll take 0 to 100mph in less than 8 seconds and a track day a** kicker for my $50k while another person will prefer a pretty looking Audi to drive around town in.

It just blows my mind how many people can't get over the fact that GM has to make tradeoffs on performance vs. interior accommodations vs. other attributes to hit its pricepoint.

It's easily the best bang for the buck sports car on the market, and they have to sacrifice something to achieve that. I'd take ass-kicking C6 performance over an Audi interior for my $50K as well. If you're willing to pay up for a nicer interior, look to Porsche or Caravaggio.

FWIW, I saw a C6 Z06 w/ Caravaggio seats (Euro GT3-style) the other day, and they really transformed the interior!

Besides, the S2000 isn't exactly a shining example of a great interior.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=Poindexter,Feb 24 2010, 07:07 AM]

I can definitely say that if this motor produces a lot more power than the current 4.2L V8 I'm going to be pissed.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Feb 24 2010, 07:42 AM
:Goosebumps:

Quick Reply: Official Audi RS5 photos... finally