Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Opinions on S2000 vs. Mercedes SLK320

Old 02-04-2002, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on S2000 vs. Mercedes SLK320

Can I get some opinions on the following cars, S2000 versus the SLK320?

I'm in the market for a roadster and up until recently was dead set on getting an S2K. It seemed like the perfect choice; it's got the looks and the power I was looking for. I test drove one recently and was convinced at the time that it was the car for me, or so I thought. I made the mistake of stopping by a Mercedes dealer and saw the SLK320 and now I'm confused. Suddenly my choice isn't so clear!!

So, I would appreciate some opinions with regards to these two cars. I know that there are lots of S2K owners out there and so what I would appreciate is some opinions, personal experiences as to why you chose the S2K. I would also appreciate some information on the SLK (if anyone out there has test driven one, owns one or knows anybody who has one). Now I know that there's a difference in price, what I'm looking for is pro's and con's as to why one vehicle would be a better choice over the other. If anybody know of any links I can look at for more info on the SLK please let me know.

Thanks for any replies!!
Old 02-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, as you know the Merc is about $10k more than an S2k. But, that may not be a limiting factor in your case. The Merc is a good deal heavier at nearly 3100lbs compared to the S2000's 2700lbs, and this effects handling. Plus, the SLK's power is lower, so it's acceleration is not as good as the S2k. There have also been some disturbing reports about waning MB quality (see the article at http://www.msnbc.com/news/699301.asp). A plus for the SLK is a top that won't rip or need to have the plastic rear window replaced (of course the rear window is now glass on '02 S2ks) and it probably provides more insulation from the winter elements than the S2000's thin layer of vinyl. Just realize that carrying a folding hardtop everywhere does mean a serious limit on already thin trunk space when the top is folded away.

But the best car for you is the one you enjoy driving the most. The SLK may drive in a fashion that better suits your driving style and local road/traffic/weather conditions. The S2k has a playful soul that begs its driver to pay full attention to it with frequent gear changes and rpm management. With only 2.4 turns from lock to lock of the steering wheel, one had better not doze off in an S2000.

The SLK will have more torque to make daily city commutes less shifty. And the Benz will not require much of its driver other than to enjoy listening to some good music while driving up to the mountains with the top-down for a weekend escape.

Good luck with your decision...
Old 02-04-2002, 07:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

luxury roadster vs pure out performance

and a price difference of about $20k between the S2000 and the 320 trim
Old 02-05-2002, 03:48 AM

He is asking about the more-expensive SLK 320. The $10 price difference applies only to the wimpy SLK 230.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by negcamber
[B]Well, as you know the Merc is about $10k more than an S2k.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:01 AM

I also though about the Merc but they are far more common than the S2k where I live. I would like to drive something a little rarer.
For the money I would personally choose have a practical everyday car and an S2000 for summer and special occasions (I live in England ). There are lots of good reasons for this.
Most SLK drivers I know have them as their only personal cars.

As previously stated, you've got to choose what suits you. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:14 AM

I think the SLK is the sort of car a woman might use to drive to her private tennis lessons.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:28 AM

I drove both these cars when I was looking. For me, it really came down to S2K and M Roadster. Driving style was the reason for me. I like whipping the car around corners and shifting a lot. So when I got out of the S2K, I had a huge smile. When I got out of the 320, I just shugged.

Also, like W6DAN, there are at least 25 SLK's just in my gated community (5 on my street). I've only seen 1 other s2k in West Palm. I really like those, "what the heck it that?" looks.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Palmateer
[B]He is asking about the more-expensive SLK 320.
Old 02-05-2002, 09:03 AM

There is a review of roadsters at http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/...65/article.html This includes the S2000, SLK, Boxter, TT, and Z3. The review is a little old but it is very detailed (about 25 pages).
Old 02-05-2002, 09:18 AM

Well I own both cars. My wife has a SLK 230 with the supercharger and of course I drive the S2000. When we got our SLK the 320 was not available, but the 230 Kompressor is not that slow. It really depends on what kind of car you want. My wife likes luxury cars with lots of options, where I like more of a pure sports car. If you plan on going to track or do some canyon running get the S2000. For driving around town and just crusing the SLK is good. The one thing that is really nice about the SLK is the top. The hard top convertible is really nice to have.

Quick Reply: Opinions on S2000 vs. Mercedes SLK320