Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

poor camaro owner

Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by ikeyballz' timestamp='1349830907' post='22071109
[quote name='NuncoStr8' timestamp='1349823761' post='22070868']
meh. I drive my car hard and don't worry about breaking it and it sucks it up and begs for more. You won't destroy a clutch failing at a burnout unless you hold it forever. That audio was so murky and muffled I couldn't tell what the complaint was about. I certainly didn't hear anything ridiculously out of line.

If the guy wants sympathy he's going to need something more than someone whining on tape. He does not come across as a rational individual with a clearly defined issue and proposed resolution. Rather, he seems to troll dealerships due to some persecution complex. But that's just what got from the rant on his youtube page.
You've obviously never driven a V8 car... One or two bad burnouts can and will destroy a clutch, especially an "OEM" one without a powerful pressure plate. Its so easy to get the tires AND the clutch spinning at the same time because of the pure amount of torque.

Also, Nuco can I borrow your car for a day or two? I do clutch changes on S2000s too...

You drive mine, I drive yours. I don't have a problem with it. It's not fragile. Seriously, what's the point of a V8 if it wrecks it every time you get on the gas?

Tires, clutch and brakes are consumables. Some people go through them faster than others. You just change them when they need it. You don't replace the whole car when all you need is a clutch. Well, unless you are an idiot. Like the guy in the OP's link. And some of the people in this thread who've never driven anything more powerful than a lawnmower but think they know everything.
[/quote]

Ah, but did the owner of the SS get to drive/wreck the tech's vehicles? If we're role-playing, I'm the tech and you're the customer. You bring your car to ME for help, and I break it. Then I charge you to fix it. get it?

I've had my share of V8s and I've done my share of dumb things in it. I've burnt through a clutch or two while doing so... but it was my own car. His clutch was not "going" if he was grinding gears. It would have been either his shifting style, synchros, or master/slave cylinder leak or air pockets. A grind is not caused by a worn clutch.

Sure, replacing the whole car might be overkill but I think the owner should be able to get his car back "in the exact same condition" which is no longer possible due to the abuse by the techs. Sure, it might not break the car immediately but abuse never makes a car last longer.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by skittle' timestamp='1349905075' post='22073423
You deffinatly have never driven a v8 car. Actually any car with a clutch can have this issue it does not have to be a V-8. All it takes is for some one who either does not know how to use a clutch or some one who wants to just destroy it.

If you were local I'd let you try my 320hp Datsun that weighs around 2500pds. And yes I have driven cars with almost 700hp (2005 cobra with a few "mods")
I OWN a V8 car with a stick. Do you?

The guy's clutch was going anyway, which is why he was grinding gears. Which is why he brought it to the dealer in the first place. Everything else is immaterial.
Does it say "P R N D" beside your "stick"???

:facepalm: the stupid never ends. This must be a Honda board...
you're telling us? You're the one on the "Stupid Pills".

BTW, i'm just taking the troll bait. You are an entertaining one. Thank you. hehe

Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skittle' timestamp='1349905075' post='22073423
You deffinatly have never driven a v8 car. Actually any car with a clutch can have this issue it does not have to be a V-8. All it takes is for some one who either does not know how to use a clutch or some one who wants to just destroy it.

If you were local I'd let you try my 320hp Datsun that weighs around 2500pds. And yes I have driven cars with almost 700hp (2005 cobra with a few "mods")
I'm pretty sure it says clear as day in his signature that he has a Datsun with an LT1 swap in it. But we are the stupid ones, got ya.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it got settled properly. Some people are just fukking idiots.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by bkowa092
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1349905832' post='22073477
[quote name='skittle' timestamp='1349905075' post='22073423']

I'm pretty sure it says clear as day in his signature that he has a Datsun with an LT1 swap in it. But we are the stupid ones, got ya.
[/quote]

rnye had already accurately stated what car I own. It was an open question at that point whether I had an auto or even a V6. And LT1's can be mated to autos

Utimately it really doesn't matter. I expressed a degree of skepticism regarding the perceived issues in the video posted by the OP. There's ALWAYS more to the story. I'm always surprised how many people fail to consider other perspectives. Often the squeaky wheel makes noise because the bearing is shot. No amount of grease will shut it up.

FWIW, I had a private shop do my brakes. I later noticed they squealed when they got hot. I went back and expressed my concerns and they had a tech take the car out to verify my issue. When he came back he said he heard nothing. I asked how he drove the car and he was quick to assure me he "didn't drive it hard or anything." I had to hold the laughter in because the last thing I was worried about was a tech driving my car the way it was meant to be driven. I was disappointed that he didn't drive it hard enough to get the brakes hot, so now my brakes squeal when they get hot because the tech was too cautious and his shop made him use cheap pads instead of factory replacements. I didn't raise a stink because they are just folks making a living, imperfect though it may be. I do my own brakes or get them done at the dealer from now on.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Lol!!! You let the dealer work on your brakes? Now who's stupid? Talk about getting ripped off...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 AM

Can you not read? I had a private shop do them and I am not happy with the result. The dealers I use are solid and do things right, and their labor cost is similar or cheaper than the private shops I've used. Getting "ripped off" is reserved for people like you who lack the intelligence to use their heads regarding routine service. YMMV, but I'd bet your mileage is worse than mine.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So what other side of the story would make it ok for the techs planning on performing the clutch swap and then making him come back for the pressure plate?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by EastS2k
Good ending to this story:

The dealer caved and bought back the car for KKB + 10% (according to the op]) - he posted it on the utubue video before he took it down.

With that said I am still pissed at GM that it took a video to go viral for them to crack down on to the dealership. Never gona touch a GM product ever, nah not really I still want to pick up a used c6z, what I meant to say was - I will never take my c6z to a dealership EVER.
I thought the linked article said GM was applying pressure to the dealer to make things right. There is a limit to how much any automaker can do to the dealers. Dealers as a group are very good at getting states to pass laws that protect dealers even in cases when they shouldn't be.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM

Can you not read? I had a private shop do them and I am not happy with the result. The dealers I use are solid and do things right, and their labor cost is similar or cheaper than the private shops I've used. Getting "ripped off" is reserved for people like you who lack the intelligence to use their heads regarding routine service. YMMV, but I'd bet your mileage is worse than mine.
It's called, bring your own brake pads and buy them at a price cheaper than what the dealer or private shop would mark up and over charge you on. Additionally, you'll know what pads were installed on your car and whether or not they should or shouldn't squeak - then you won't have to ask stupid questions and ponder how the tech drove your car.

Also, getting ripped off for routine service is for you, no matter where you take it.

It's called "routine" service. Do it yourself yourself, or... get a manipedi while someone else does it for you...

If you could change your brakes like you stated, then you'd know why they were squeaking and wouldn't have to ask a stupid question. You're probably like all those idiots who showed up at the Nissan dealers with their brand new GT-Rs complaining about squeaky brakes

Quick Reply: poor camaro owner