Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Porsche 944/951

Old 08-05-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 944/951

So I found myself behind one of these again today, and similar to the Maserati I found myself thinking "Cool car, wonder why its not often discussed among enthusiasts?" Now the one I followed was a 944 and not the turbo, but I think they all look GREAT.

I did some digging and the Turbos seem to hold their value well. Well enough that I'd probably choose something else over one of these if I was in the market at that price range, but it got me to thinking: What could allow a 26 year old car with 55k miles on it to still be "worth" $25,000 as seen here?:
http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...archId=1685726

Are the turbos that rare? Are they that good? Is it because 55k miles is considered low for this one?
Old 08-05-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Al
So I found myself behind one of these again today, and similar to the Maserati I found myself thinking "Cool car, wonder why its not often discussed among enthusiasts?" Now the one I followed was a 944 and not the turbo, but I think they all look GREAT.

I did some digging and the Turbos seem to hold their value well. Well enough that I'd probably choose something else over one of these if I was in the market at that price range, but it got me to thinking: What could allow a 26 year old car with 55k miles on it to still be "worth" $25,000 as seen here?:

Are the turbos that rare? Are they that good? Is it because 55k miles is considered low for this one?
Turbo's are not exceptionally rare, good ones are becoming more scare however. I previously owned a 1989 944 Turbo and enjoyed it very much. Superb chassis and great power potential, mine made 337WHP/317TQ with a K27-8 and other mods. They are light weight by todays standards. There are good Turbo's out there that have been lovingly maintained and cared for. I would recommend an 88' Turbo S or an 89' / 90' (there are a handful of 91's that made it to NA as well) as they had the same specification as the 88' Turbo S. Maintenance can be a tad more expensive than other comparable cars but they are pretty straight forward if you have some mechanical prowess and wish to wrench yourself. Mine was dead reliable, never had a single mechanical issue. I still think the 944 Turbo represents what a proper sports car should look (and drive) like, classic silhouette with those beautiful fenders.

A few pictures of my 89' in very rare Glacier Blue. Still miss that car, it no longer exists as the fellow I sold it to wrote it off in the Targa Newfoundland unfortunately.

*The asking price is way too high for the one in the ad you posted.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now with photo's....
Attached Thumbnails Porsche 944/951-img_4181.jpg   Porsche 944/951-img_4179.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K Al

I would be willing to bet that just a few years ago that car would be worth way less, and that it's current price is just part of the ongoing Porsche value balloon.

Regardless, I just don't get these cars. They're not bad, per se. But they exist in a world that has Mr2s and RX-7s and Corvettes and newer better Porsches for the same money. I have seen a couple thread on the internet about Porsche 928s with built engines makeing 500 whp, and that could pique my interest. But a turbo four cylinder that is in a car that really isn't that light and doesn't make that much power and isn't that attractive? Meh.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Listen to this thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj5ohIZyohw
Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by LUV2REV
Now with photo's....
Really digging those wheels. I could think of worse ways for a car to go out too!
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
That's a very unique sound. It thrashy but in a good way.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:37 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I also agree that prices seem inflated today, but that's because all Porsches are getting expensive and I don't see that changing any time soon. I had a 944T and it was a great car - probably the spiritual predecessor to the BRZ/FRS - basically 200 hp 4 cyl, rwd, great ergonomics and design. If you want an analogue car, its a great option and mine was very reliable, but some repairs can be pricey - for example, you have to drop the entire back-end to replace the clutch!

Everyday Driver has a video with one if you can find it.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Regardless, I just don't get these cars. They're not bad, per se. But they exist in a world that has Mr2s and RX-7s and Corvettes and newer better Porsches for the same money. I have seen a couple thread on the internet about Porsche 928s with built engines makeing 500 whp, and that could pique my interest. But a turbo four cylinder that is in a car that really isn't that light and doesn't make that much power and isn't that attractive? Meh.

Its a great driving car.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The lure of the 944 for me is that I recently read you can still get one converted into a "DP Cargo" station wagon, there are still kits available. Alas, I think you'd have to have the 944 shipped to Germany to have it done. My wife laments our current lack of a vehicle with space inside... this would be ideal.

Quick Reply: Porsche 944/951