Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Put my order in for the 335i

Old 07-31-2006, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the M3 shines up top also....

what are the mags sayin'?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Former Moderator

I have yet to see a magazine compare the M3 to a Cayman. They're two different cars built for two different purposes. It is kind of like comparing a S2000 to an Evo or STI - yeah, people make the comparisons because they're close in price but it is really like comparing apples and oranges.

The tough part for me, is I don't feel like I can go wrong with any of these cars (and I do love my M3) - I just don't know which one is going to make me the happiest.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

How about keeping your M3 and saving up for the 997 GT3? You know you would be happy with that car.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this BMW comes out at the price I
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ultimate dilema.. what the hell do you pick when you have so many great options these days?! trade-offs.. do i trade-in? do i keep the s and get something new? do i trade and get something practical now and get a second car even further down the road as a weekend sports car? i just haven't found something that tips me over to one side of the fence.

i'm still in my s2k but i want something new soon. i know that. i've been steady watching the new bimmer 3's since i will be able to get a great deal on one once they are on the second year run (bmw fs employee in the family). but i don't know if a 335i coupe would keep me entertained enough even with the sports package. they don't look nearly as sporty and tossable as the e46 cars.. no where close to the s2k. but it'll have great power for daily driving and lots of comforts and luxury which i'm craving. these days i find myself commuting to work and not much else so i just don't enjoy the tight interior or the ride of the s2k as much as i used to. plus the convertable gets no use with this hellish summer weather. i'm in houston and its just too humid to have fun.

i am still holding out some hope for the new m3 too. once i see some concrete details on it and some official pics i'll know whether or not i should hold out for one. it would be at least two years before i could get a hold of one with my discount but it may be worth the wait if they keep the msrp down.

as for the cayman i think they look like great rides too but i haven't driven one yet nor do i think i'll consider it. i'd want the s model for sure and without any kind of discount its just too much $. i just think its time for something with more room and comfort features and the cayman just doesn't have it. also the power on paper seems low for the prices but they are plenty fast in reality i'm sure. also i hear the handling dynamics are stellar. would be a blast to drive on sporting days but i just don't have enough of those anymore..

good luck with your decision tho.. you're on the right track with these choices no matter what you decide fits your style the best!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:11 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,Jul 31 2006, 09:31 AM] If this BMW comes out at the price I
Old 07-31-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone mentioned the Z4 coupe, or M coupe? Cayman price, Cayman S performance. And it looks good.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've thought about trading my E46 M3 for a new 335i coupe too. The E90's are quite nice inside. However when I sat down and thought about it, I decided that my next vehicle would be an upgrade instead of a side step so I redecided against doing so. I've done the sidestepping thing before and I've regretted it in the past. I hope my experience helps you. Just remember with all the options you're paying for on the 335i will land you into E92 M3 territory if you could handle the wait.

With all the cars you have to choose from, let us know which one you decide on and how it is.. good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by rai,Jul 31 2006, 01:11 PM
HELLO WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU SMOKING?

The 330i (sedan) costs $36,600 and the coupe is said to cost +$3K over the sedan and the twin turbo on top of that. I'd bet this costs (base) $42K+++
I'm not posting to totally refute - just to state the correct information. I am a BMW dealer and am holding the 335i pricing sheet in my hand.

MSRP: $37,350
Euro Delivery: $34,360
Diplomatic: $35,100

You have to add a training service fee of $180 and freight of $695 to get the MSRP. There is roughly $3500 to $5500 mark-up in the car....depending on options.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Daniel L,Jul 31 2006, 01:32 PM
I've thought about trading my E46 M3 for a new 335i coupe too. The E90's are quite nice inside. However when I sat down and thought about it, I decided that my next vehicle would be an upgrade instead of a side step so I redecided against doing so. I've done the sidestepping thing before and I've regretted it in the past. I hope my experience helps you. Just remember with all the options you're paying for on the 335i will land you into E92 M3 territory if you could handle the wait.

With all the cars you have to choose from, let us know which one you decide on and how it is.. good luck!
I hear you Daniel. Thanks for the advice. The only car I've stayed in over a year was my S2000, so it isn't as if a side-step is really going to kill me.

I'll definitely let you know what I end up with

By the way, the plot has thickened ......the 2007 Cayman S residuals came out today: 10,000 miles = 73%, 12,000 miles = 72%, and 15,000 miles = 69% - a little bit stronger than the base Cayman.

Quick Reply: Put my order in for the 335i