Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

R32 GT-R or AP1 S2000

Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R32 GT-R or AP1 S2000

Here's my scenario, I get shipped to the UK for the next 2 to 3 years because I'm enlisted in the Air Force. I love my S2000 more than life itself, but my dream car is waiting for me in London as we speak. My uncle owns a 1990 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R. By the time my tour date is up in England I could bring the Skyline back under the 25 year rule for importing vehicles.

So now I'm stuck, keep my S2000 here and pay it off so when I come home I can go ape s*** and buy everything I've wanted for my car - or finally get my paws on the GT-R I've always wanted and bring it back.... Some dilemas are good to have, this one just hurts my head.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nappyboy28
my dream car is waiting for me in London

You know what to do deep down.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^This...as much as you love the S, if you have an opportunity to get what you have always dreamed of, do it.

I think I would trade my S for an NSX today if the deal could be worked out (and boy do I love my S).
Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you plan to bring the GTR back over the pond? That's going to be a hassle on all fronts; shipping, customs, epa, dmv, etc.

EDIT: I saw your mention of the 25 year rule, but it still can't be easy navigating all that red tape.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by alex s
How do you plan to bring the GTR back over the pond? That's going to be a hassle on all fronts; shipping, customs, epa, dmv, etc.

EDIT: I saw your mention of the 25 year rule, but it still can't be easy navigating all that red tape.

Its not about the difficulty that matters, its how much do you want it? :-) I say go for the GT-R dude, I would if I were in your shoes.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 AM

Well once again the Air Force handles all the BS. Granted I have to do a crap load of paperwork before TMO will ship it back to America. (My job is logistics so I will have an inside edge). It just hurts me to look at my S now and be like "well you've been fun" . Lol it's the first car I've really enjoyed. With the money I make off of selling my S and the money I have saved I'll pay for the GT-R in full, hopefully when I can come home I can just get the S I've always wanted AP2 GPW with OEM hartop
Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Go for it. If you don't like it in the end, you can always buy another S when you get back. Can't really say that about the R32.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM

The R32 seems like an investment if it is close to stock and you leave it as stock as possible.. The S2000 is a great car. I say get the Nissan, it will never live up to your expectations as what you expect from that car and you can sell it down the road and make a few $$$ from it. If it isn't stock and has been modified, then you may just be buying a headache. Then again, the car is fairly old, you have to plan for buying a headache anyway and you will need to get a second car since you can't DD the R32

Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

As much as I love my s2k, if we're talking purely a fun car, it's hard to compete w/ the GTR, especially being how unique it is. A friend had one in the states years ago, and it's an amazing machine. High revving and easy to make lots of power, yet not as boat like as a supra. As others said, be prepared for hassles though as it is an old car, and you obviously can't walk right into the dealer to buy a lot of parts. I believe GTR's are relatively cheap overseas (not sure about the UK though), which would make them a good deal if you could get one over hear relatively easily and cheaply.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I know Id want to upgrade the shit out of the RB, so for my wallet sakes I'll get the S2000

friend of mine had a R32, upgraded the whole head to Tomei parts, HKS Twins, so much shit...not even at full boost it made 600+

Name:  bbqmeet3.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  224.3 KB

Quick Reply: R32 GT-R or AP1 S2000