Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

r8 vs. 911

Old 04-25-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default r8 vs. 911

this board has already had several threads discussing the r8 vs the 911...
just saw a great article that does a good job of summarizing the comparo:

<<<
"Many a tree is going to die in order for the automotive world to sufficiently air out the threat that this car may (or may not) pose to Porsche. Much will be written about the Audi R8's relationship with the Lamborghini Gallardo, and even more will spill forth from word processors about the upcoming V10 version of the car.

I'll save you from having to look elsewhere for answers and simply say that the R8 is something very special and yes, I would choose it over an optioned-up Carrera 4S, its most direct AWD competitor. It doesn't really share much with the Gallardo, and there's no need to wait for the V10 version to own a bona fide supercar.

The Porsche 911's greatest strength is simultaneously its greatest weakness: it is a car that can easily be driven every day. Do so, however, and the 911 can start to feel a bit ordinary, though it will always have the liveliest steering of any car on the road.

The R8, however, feels special enough that no amount of daily use will take the edge off its raucous thoroughbred V8, its whining transmission, its snick-snick six-speed manual transmission or its diabolically violent R-Tronic paddle-shift gearbox. Stephan Reil, the guy in charge of Quattro GMBH and the little outfit that engineered the R8, put it best when he said the six-speed gated shifter is better for the street, and the R-tronic is better for the track. The gated shifter is just so cool to use that it's worth the price of admission alone.

It won't matter either how many times you walk up to it in your garage; the R8 will always look sensational, and small touches like the engine compartment illumination when you unlock the doors make it more of an event than an automobile.

The spectacle, however, pales to driving the car. Twist the key and NASCAR's own soundtrack erupts from behind the glass partition over your shoulders. Pick first gear, mash the throttle and revel in the first Quattro chassis that will wag its tail under power. You sit low, similar to an arcade driving simulation, which exacerbates the sensation of speed. The world reels in through the windshield like it's on fast-forward, and the sound of the 420 hp V8 fills the cabin and tears through surrounding traffic. "

>>

more at:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mlf/08r8.htm

and post up your thoughts!!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd definitely take it over a 911.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

997 Turbo w/ chrono sport package for me also.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsches won me over... for the price they're asking i'd rather be driving a "diabolically violent" GT3
Old 04-26-2007, 06:00 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How many times does the 911 4S comes up in this price range ($110K+)? You are practically at the Turbo and GT3 (GT3 RS) price.

I understand the GT3s are not sutable for DD (like the R8 or turbo).

In any event the Turbo is the same price as a R8. The turbo is well and truly quicker but maybe that's not the point.

I truly love cars with engines under glass, they are so nice to show off and Audi seems to take this into account with the lights and CF in the engine bay.

The Turbo or GT3 or Cayaman (etc..) you can't show off the engine if your life depended on it.

I'm not sure myself which I prefer Turbo? GT3? R8? Viper? Z06? thats actual production cars not even taking the NSX or Lexus super into account.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rai,

sometimes it's just a matter of having something different.

as we age, does it really matter that your neighbours or friends car is "faster" than yours? or "slower" than yours??

the answer is no, it doesn't. you will both tee off at the same time, regardless of who arrives first at the golf course.....
Old 04-26-2007, 06:25 AM

I cant put my finger on it but I dont know why the R8 hasnt won me over yet. And yes i'm a big fan of the engine through the glass concept. I've read great reviews but I dont know. I'd probably take a 911 Turbo.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:03 AM

man i love the R8.

Wanabe: I thought I remember seeing you post on the R8 forums - don't you have one on preorder?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rai, what I read suggests the current GT3 would make a fine DD. Just too rich for my blood. The Cayman S is the one that tortures me, wondering if it'd be worth the price to own.

"Do so, however, and the 911 can start to feel a bit ordinary, though it will always have the liveliest steering of any car on the road." Somehow I doubt the author considered the Elise when he made this statement. Of course he probably figures Lotus kit cars don't count...

edit - anyone else here dying to check out the Exige S?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 AM

Penforhire

What's holding you back from a Cayman S? They can be had for anywhere from $6-$10k off sticker.

Quick Reply: r8 vs. 911