Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Rant on- why AWD and not use it?

Old 12-11-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Talking Rant on- why AWD and not use it?

So, we're in the middle of a snow storm here in Ontario, Canada- laying down 6+ inches of snow in less than 24 hours. Salt trucks out in force. slippy roads etc.

That being said, why is it that everyone seems to be buying AWD vehicles and trucks with 4WD fire breathing awesomeness and then not use it.

Sitting at a red light this Ford Raptor guy has the green and pulls away like he's grandma with a walker. Are you kidding me? your truck is effin' 4WD, off roading bitchin death machine and you can't find your right foot?

anyway, I just don't get it. Maybe i'm just an ass.

rant off.

darcy
Old 12-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe they don't have the right tires and they can't stop the fire breathing whatever in a safe distance.

In that scenario, adding speed adds risk.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchcargo
Maybe they don't have the right tires and they can't stop the fire breathing whatever in a safe distance.

In that scenario, adding speed adds risk.
they looked like knobby off roader type tires.

because rant.

darcy
​​​​​​​
Old 12-11-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
So, we're in the middle of a snow storm here in Ontario, Canada- laying down 6+ inches of snow in less than 24 hours. Salt trucks out in force. slippy roads etc.

That being said, why is it that everyone seems to be buying AWD vehicles and trucks with 4WD fire breathing awesomeness and then not use it.

Sitting at a red light this Ford Raptor guy has the green and pulls away like he's grandma with a walker. Are you kidding me? your truck is effin' 4WD, off roading bitchin death machine and you can't find your right foot?

rant off.

darcy

Funny thing, I was at June Lake, CA one year. Really cold, windy night (like 5ºF). Putting chains onto my 2WD Element. When a BMW M5 came around a bend, going 3MPH. Backwards. And into a ditch. A Land Cruiser driving behind the BMW locked up its brakes. Does a couple of the slowest 360s I've ever seen. And goes into same ditch, about 50 yards downstream.

Called AAA and waited for help to arrive. Then, drove off. Odd event.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Most people suck at the driving. And they drive scared, all the time. I like the Raptor, awesome vehicle, but most of the buyers of that vehicle I see around here, the truck never has dirt, mud, or anything on them. There are three in the parking garage at work, and 2 of 3 are always freshly washed and waxed. I've never seen 2 of the 3 dirty. They are bought for image.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:01 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Even the best 4x4 ain't magic! 4x4 cars don't brake any better. Nor do they handle curves any better. They do tend to get you going in snow and ice better than 4x2 cars albeit at slow speeds.

Even tracked vehicles have problems on ice. Note if this was in a war zone we'd turn many of the track guides around and make them into spikes and puncture the ice (and pavement). Frowned upon in peacetime. Random Youtube sample.

-- Chuck
Old 12-12-2016, 05:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Even the best 4x4 ain't magic! 4x4 cars don't brake any better. Nor do they handle curves any better. They do tend to get you going in snow and ice better than 4x2 cars albeit at slow speeds.
So right! Even with studded tires speed on snow/ice seriously increases odds for big problems.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw

rant off.

darcy
Because 4WD/AWD only aide in acceleration, they do nothing to assist you with stopping or turning, you know, the important qualities for a vehicle to have.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
4x4 cars don't brake any better. Nor do they handle curves any better.
-- Chuck
Correct. Incorrect.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

"why is it that everyone seems to be buying AWD vehicles and trucks with 4WD fire breathing awesomeness and then not use it."
Maybe because they're not morons and don't want to wreck their cars.
There's a saying I've heard - "Four wheel drive simply gets you further into the ditch when you crash."
That said, what bugs me is hearing somebody drive by on studded tires when it's summer. While that's illegal in some places due to increased road wear, it isn't here.

Quick Reply: Rant on- why AWD and not use it?