Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Recommend Trucks/Suv with ability for front mount trailer hitch

Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Recommend Trucks/Suv with ability for front mount trailer hitch

Yeah, I know this is a weird one. I got a really long driveway, and we can get lots of snow some years. I see that they make pretty inexpensive snow plows to hook to any vehicle that can have a front mount hitch. I know all the Jeeps fit into that category, and body on frame pickup or Tahoe like SUV probably does too. I am going to lay in the weeds over the next few years looking for something used, hopefully cheap and semi modern that I might have to drive once in a while but mostly just use to plow or drive around in blizzards with. If you know of any smaller SUV of recent vintage that had a frame or ability for a front hitch like a if it was possible for a Rav or something like that let me know. Not sure any unibodies come strong enough with mounting points for a front hitch.

Preferably something that is not known to rust away as it will likely sit outside all year unless I get a lift for the garage. Wife would not be cool with a front yard eyesore. I have given thought to an ATV with a plow and that would work really well, just not sure I can clear enough garage space without some serious creativity or the need to build a large shed.

All suggestions appreciated. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by vader1; 12-25-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

You need a vehicle with a frame not a unibody. Just about any full size pickup will accept a front mount as will SUVs like the Ford Expedition.

Look at etrailer.com

-- Chuck
Old 12-26-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Not sure how long your driveway is, but I have a huge driveway and plow successfully with an ATV (BruteForce 750). The bigger quads can move a lot of snow. They are also fun to ride for entertainment and are useful for doing other yard-work/home projects with a small utility trailer. Really cheap to get one used, and you can park it behind the garage and throw a cover over it.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Not sure how long your driveway is, but I have a huge driveway and plow successfully with an ATV (BruteForce 750). The bigger quads can move a lot of snow. They are also fun to ride for entertainment and are useful for doing other yard-work/home projects with a small utility trailer. Really cheap to get one used, and you can park it behind the garage and throw a cover over it.
Yeah the quad is definately an option. The driveway is about 130-150 yards long, new concrete about 8,000 sqft. I think a quad could defenately be powerful enough, even a 500, the question is where to put it so it does not get snatched although that is probably not going to happen.

As far as trucks go, I like that option just because if I got one I can use it to occasionally use it to pull a trailer (like a big rental wood chipper) or use a pickup bed or something. I just hate full size pickups and SUV's, as they get premium dollar on the used market and would be HUGE sitting by the house all year long unless they are really old and then they tends to be rust magnets. I was wondering if there were some recent vintage non-full size SUV's that were not full size made by maybe somebody from Japan or BMW or something. They all seem to be unibodies to me, but thought someone might know of one I had not thought of.

My guess is, I end up with a quad, or a used Wrangler or Colorado. Just did not know if there were some other non-full sized options besides a Taco or Ranger.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

This may not be as "fun" of an answer but.... I have a similar setup as yours.

Couple years ago I decided to buy a canam commander side by side, deck it all out, front plow, etc.... lots of money. Never had time to drive the thing for entertainment, only took it out to plow.

I decided I hated going out in the cold and hated that this expensive side by side just sat there, so I priced out a plowing service to come plow the driveway when it snows.... MUCH cheaper than I thought.

Sold the side by side, and when I leave for work the drive is already cleared. I can pay them to do this for around 20 years before I approach the cost of a side by side/jeep/atv plow setup AND I dont have to mess with the cold!

Just putting it out there.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

We've got a John Deere diesel gator with a plow. They're pricey new, so I'd hunt for a used one if you go that route. I'd go for an ATV or similar rather than a truck/suv if it's just for plowing. Old Jeep if you want to be able to drive it on the roads. Possibly an older Bronco or Blazer/Jimmy too.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

My vote is a jeep, I have both a atv with a plow and a 98 wrangler with a plow. The Atv was about $4.4k after buying it and installing a plow and winch and the jeep was approximately ($4k for a pretty nice jeep, $3k for a new plow)$7k with a brand new SnowDogg plow mounted. Ever since we got the Jeep the atv has not moved. Granted we use this to plow our parking lot but two winters in the atv and I was over the fact I had no heat (just remember how a below 0 day will feel lol). The jeep also doubles as our utility truck when we attach a small 5x8 trailer on it. Also for whatever reason I love driving that old Jeep around town with the doors off during the summer months even though I have a proper convertible. I know you had been looking at new dailys maybe pick up a JL Wrangler and add a plow to that. For your use I am sure it won't harm that jeep at all.

Last edited by ZSAK; 12-27-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ZSAK
My vote is a jeep, I have both a atv with a plow and a 98 wrangler with a plow. The Atv was about $4.4k after buying it and installing a plow and winch and the jeep was approximately ($4k for a pretty nice jeep, $3k for a new plow)$7k with a brand new SnowDogg plow mounted. Ever since we got the Jeep the atv has not moved. Granted we use this to plow our parking lot but two winters in the atv and I was over the fact I had no heat (just remember how a below 0 day will feel lol). The jeep also doubles as our utility truck when we attach a small 5x8 trailer on it. Also for whatever reason I love driving that old Jeep around town with the doors off during the summer months even though I have a proper convertible. I know you had been looking at new dailys maybe pick up a JL Wrangler and add a plow to that. For your use I am sure it won't harm that jeep at all.
You pretty much just laid out what I was thinking. The only reason I included Colorado in the list is it also has the bed if I need one, but I think a Jeep would be fun as a third car/occasional driver with plowing ability and utility.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
You pretty much just laid out what I was thinking. The only reason I included Colorado in the list is it also has the bed if I need one, but I think a Jeep would be fun as a third car/occasional driver with plowing ability and utility.
Maybe wait for the new Gladiator Jeep. Best of both worlds BTW I highly recommend the Snowdogg plow its a true plow that is pretty heavy duty.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:17 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSAK
Maybe wait for the new Gladiator Jeep. Best of both worlds BTW I highly recommend the Snowdogg plow its a true plow that is pretty heavy duty.
New Gladiator is pretty wicked, but from what I'm hearing they're going to be $50k+ starting price.

Quick Reply: Recommend Trucks/Suv with ability for front mount trailer hitch