Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Reserved a Z06 next week..

Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right so follow up post:

The trip was awesome! The company we went through was Lone Star Exotics (http://lonestarexoticrentals.com/). They rent Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Viper, M3, etc. I was a little concerned that we were going to be dealing with a company selling an image vs a driving experience but I was wrong!

The cars were all very well maintained and the facility and staff were AWESOME. Very simple process (seemingly less BS than standing at the Hertz counter) and very much "car guys". Essentially we were told not to abuse the car - donuts, excessive braking (someone had rented the Gallardo and done 14 back to back 100-0 stops and overcooked the brakes a few weeks earlier..$$) - just common sense stuff - but were encouraged to drive and have a good time. I wanted to rent the E92 M3 with the Z06 as second choice, but it was unavailable - so we took the Vette!

Lime Creek road pullover

The car was awesome! I love the effortless torque and the sound of the LS7. One of my Favorite parts was the HUD as I've only driven a few cars with it. Its nice having everything show up without having to take your eyes off the road. For those that haven't used it it includes turn by turn directions from the GPS, the radio station, and has multiple "track modes" that cycle through RPM, G meter, and fluid temps. Only problem I had was the car was an '06 and the lovely lady programmed in the GPS loved to give the wrong preparatory commands - assuming she could even find where we were.

Anyway, I've driven a C6 before, but I was really sold on the Z06. Its simple and straight forward and I thought it would be intimidating with so much power on tap (with TC in comp mode) but I was very comfortable and could definitely see myself owning one in the future. We took it all over Austin in the 24hr period - hit the hill country, down to Salt Lick for BBQ and through downtown later for dinner. Best part of the drive - Phil and I switched seats and the traction control was still off.. watching him floor it and have the rear end break loose at was priceless. I thought he was going to have a heart attack! I couldn't stop laughing - he's an F16 pilot and his ego needs a friendly check once in a while.

Anyway... only in Texas..

If you guys are the in area or somewhere where exotics/sports cars are rented - totally makes for a great day!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Looks very nifty in red - glad you had fun!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Great picture and recommendation. Austin is a great city and I would consider living there for the right opportunity.

How much are rental prices for different level cars?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Anywhere from $350/day for GT500/M3 to $1600 for F430. They bumped us to 100mi/day vs 50mi because of military and it was $1/mile after that. I believe it's a little higher on cars with higher operating costs (i.e., the Gallardo). If you're interested just give them a call - they were really nice people.

I posted the website if you want to check it out.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Surprised you thought the Z had effortless torque. I thought just the opposite in fact that's why I didn't buy one. It didn't feel fast until after 4000 rpm. My neighbor who owns a Corvette race shop said that's normal and the power doesn't come on at 2000-3000 RPM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 PM

I have no idea how the powerband relates to others (i.e., Viper) - but it was great being able to hit onramps in 3rd and hit triple digit speeds so quickly. These 500+ hp cars are really ridiculous (and fun) on the street. I would be in trouble if I DD'd one.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Surprised you thought the Z had effortless torque. I thought just the opposite in fact that's why I didn't buy one. It didn't feel fast until after 4000 rpm. My neighbor who owns a Corvette race shop said that's normal and the power doesn't come on at 2000-3000 RPM.
I suppose it's what you are used to and what you mean by "feel fast" vs. "torque everywhere," but I've only got a 4.6L V8 and you'd never NEED to take it over 3000 rpms. Ever. Just above that is where it starts to pick up, but it's ridiculously different than how an N/A four cylinder drives in that you can putt around town just above idle and never feel like you're going too slow.

I don't even know what "the power" is that's being referred to here. Other engines tend to have a point where the hustle is clear, but the LS engines I've driven are deceptive, pulling from just off idle to redline with no drama. There's no surge of acceleration, no radical change in engine note, just smooth and steady - shockingly fast when you look at the speedo finally. A Z06 makes what, ~300 lb-ft at 2000 rpms? How much less effort could it take?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 PM

Where's the picture of you hugging the Corvette

Glad you had fun with it!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Man, the Z06, what a car. Yeah numb steering, shifter a bit vague, hate the hatch carpet, blah blah, hit the gas, turn the wheel, that car is just insane. And then get off the throttle and the car goes into clark kent mode. Sold me on needing to get a C6, 430hp is still plenty fun. Glad you enjoyed it, and the bay area is great, but friggin expensive especially with all the foreign money being poured in, but arguably the best climate in the US.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Sick!! Sounds like a blast, I think I know what I want for my birthday this year

Evan

Quick Reply: Reserved a Z06 next week..