Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 replacement...at high altitude

Old 03-14-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 replacement...at high altitude

So...I recently moved to CO. Loving it so far, but the S2000 is not. I'm at ~6500 ft, and the power loss is noticeable (~20% - yikes). I was considering going the turbo kit route, but that's an outlay of at least ~8k, and is just money down the drain when it comes to resale value.

As sad as it is, I've been looking at replacing the S2k with something a bit peppier. At these altitudes a turbo is almost a must, though not strictly required. Anyhow, I've been looking at the following (all used, budget is ~30k):

A) 987.2 Boxster S
--I've always wanted a Porsche, but it's NA so it would make nowhere near rated power at altitude. Maybe 250WHP if I'm lucky after mods Still, the driving dynamics should be killer and closer to the S2K than the rest of the list. Reliability is a bit questionable in my mind.

B) BMW M235i
--I've always liked the N54/N55s, and I think it's a good looking car. However, I've heard that the new EPS sucks a giant one. The big upside here would be turbo power, especially after a tune.

C) BMW 135i
--Similar to B), but cheaper and lighter (which I appreciate), with good steering. However, it's a polarizing car looks wise, and would probably have higher mileage. Would probably require coilovers and an LSD upgrade at a minimum.

D) ?? C6 Corvette?
--Not really a GM or Vette fan, but it would be big power on the cheap. I'm a little worried about the driving dynamics, and the interior is rubbish as we all know.

Anything else I should consider? I'm not wedded to convertibles, though I do enjoy that aspect of the S2K.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:38 PM

On your C choice, I wanted to add that I've had a BMW 135i and the power steering, while hydraulic, is very accurate and somewhat heavy, but it offers almost no feedback as to what the front tires are doing. BMW has gone to great lengths to eliminate feedback... I used to have an E36 328is and that had the best steering feedback of the cars I've driven.

Given the altitude, turbo power is the way to go. Have you considered also Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evolution? On the plus side, AWD might be helpful in the snowy months.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Ah, good to know about the 135i. It's really a shame that BMW's vaunted steering feel is now extinct; that was always one of the big selling points of their cars to me.

Yeah, an Evo or WRX would be a logical choice for the mountains. However, they're really just economy cars with AWD and turbos, with corresponding interiors. I actually traded in a 2009 WRX for my S2K and would never go back to a Subaru. I also want a coupe, since I already have a DD with four doors. An Audi TT-S might be another possibility; I would love a TT-RS with the 5cyl but it's out the price range for sure.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Evo. Better steering feel. Faster. Much less affected by the latitude. Or maybe a new focus rs.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996 Turbo.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

M235. Interior is great and it's pretty quick. Also cheap to tune
Old 03-15-2016, 04:21 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I just took delivery on a new M235i RWD manual. I have been in Comfort mode only during the break-in period. In comfort the steering is numb. When I test drove an AWD car at the dealership I found the steering more communitive in Sport and Sport plus. BMW's new 340i is also more communitive than the outgoing model. They heard the complaints and have tried to address them. That said, none of them have the steering feel of my old E90.

Boosting power on this car is cheap and easy. You can get a piggyback or a tune for $500. As for handling, that is a personal preference. As sold, you really need nothing for the street, but if you want a harsh ride there are shock and spring kits available. For track or auto cross, the car suffers from under steer. This can be corrected with a square wheel and tire set-up and the lower control arms from an M4 to get more camber. You can do both of those pretty cheaply.

A LSD is pricey for this car. You can find the BMW LSD for $2000 and then you have to install it.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Boxster will easily be more reliable than any of the BMWs on your list. It will also be faster than the S2000 all day long. It's a different type of car (a little bit softer, overall), but still an acceptable replacement to an S2000.

I think test drives of the aforementioned cars will tell you all you need to know, really.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:24 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't be a bit shy of the 987.2 reliability. Heck in 3.5 years in my 987.1, I've had exactly one minor issue, and that was a cable/spring that broke in the door handle mechanism, nothing major. For my money, I'd hold out for a 981 Boxster though. If we ever outgrow our s2000 (14 years and counting), that's what we'll likely replace it with.

I tend to agree with you on the turbo idea at altitude.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:48 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

i disagree about the porsche's being more reliable. Overall maybe, but the parts are so damn expensive that it's almost the same in cost. I've seen some of the porsche repair bills my buddies have had for simple shit and it's pretty ridiculous. TPMS's shouldn't stop working so often.

Quick Reply: S2000 replacement...at high altitude