Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sciatica and the S2k

Old 07-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you need is a nice, comfortable automatic family car, not a tight, manual sports car.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by SonomaS2K,Jul 24 2006, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas, and suggestions!

When you're in the middle of a flare up, it can be overwhelming because there's so many ideas and products for sale for "low back" support. So personal experience is always welcome!

I broke my own rule wrt to doing a search first - thanks for the headsup it's been addressed and also letting me know about what you found out!

Not sure if because of the changes in my spine because of the fusion I got done, and that's there's a fair amount of instruments/titanium rods and stuff in my spine, if it's a little more tricky than a lumbar support issue. So far what I've noticed is that something in my core feels off, when I need to balance my midsection in between taking my left foot off the footrest to prepare to hit the clutch, and bringing my right foot temporarily off the gas. Ie, everything's good when I have feet firmly planted on pedals or the floor, but when I have to make the transitions during shifting, something in my sacrum/L5 area, is not stabilizing correctly.

Anyways, I truly appreciate all of the help, and I will proceed with reviewing the existing threads.

Thanks
This might sound odd, but it works. I was hit by a Semi truck going 45 mph while I was at a dead stop about 7.5 years ago. Needless to say, my back was jacked and i have had sciatica issues ever since. One of the only things that works for me is to use a golf ball (might stat out with a tennis ball) and place it directly under the uppermost area of pain. For me that is the outside of my right buttocks. I sit on it while driving or sitting in the office when I get flare ups or I lay on it when at home. It looks wierd but it really works for me.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:29 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I am in a similar position to you with the pain from driving in this car. The bottom cushion of S2000 seat is the root cause. The bottom cushion lean back instead of being flat and put a lot of pressure on the disk causing sciatica.

Your solutions are:
1. put a pillow on the bottom cushion,
2. put spacers with longer bolts on the back two bolts
3. buy a different seat with more adjustibility

Obivously, you should also work on yourself too. A good chiropractor will be able to straighten your pelvis and lower back area so the spine is not pushing on the sciatic nerve.

Give me a PM if you need more info.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:35 AM

I'd say take out the seats and replace them with some high quality orthopedic seats (Recaro make some for example). Your MY06 seats will likely fetch a pretty good price, which should offset the cost of the new ones.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:55 AM

I've had 2 lower back surgeries (L3,4,5), the last surgery was 9 years ago. I have wet okole seat covers on my seats. I have not noticed any back pain as a result of driving my s. The seat covers provide an extra 1/2 of foam padding between your butt, legs and back from the hard seats that come in the S. I've been on several extended drives in mine (5 hours or more) with no ill results. Also the seat covers keep you from slipping around on the seats when driving hard.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by leahysailor,Jul 25 2006, 07:55 AM
I've had 2 lower back surgeries (L3,4,5), the last surgery was 9 years ago. I have wet okole seat covers on my seats. I have not noticed any back pain as a result of driving my s. The seat covers provide an extra 1/2 of foam padding between your butt, legs and back from the hard seats that come in the S. I've been on several extended drives in mine (5 hours or more) with no ill results. Also the seat covers keep you from slipping around on the seats when driving hard.
Someone's a skinny dude!

I found throwing a teeshirt in the back pouch of the seats helps give a little more support. Its easy to do, and takes no technical ability, and when in need you always have 2 spare, clean, (yet slightly wrinkled) tee shirts at your disposal.

Granted, I don't have any major back problems.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:59 AM

Yeah 5' 6" and 142 lbs. AZDELT you a golfer!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by leahysailor,Jul 25 2006, 07:59 AM
Yeah 5' 6" and 142 lbs. AZDELT you a golfer!
Yup, I'm an assistant golf pro. Today's maintenance day so I'm just killing time on here until noon.

6'0 and 230 lbs. No slipping in the seats here.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

check with a good mobile disability shop and find out who does seat work. They can do lots of stuff for you, from seat height, to custom seat inserts to a contured seat just for you. Even heat and massage. Probably even covered under some forms of insurance. Usually they can work with your existing covers too. I have a friend that does specialty vehicles, if you have one finger that moves and you can talk and see, he can make you a car you can drive and get you licensed.

fltsfshr
Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 AM

I'm a PT (physical therapist, not personal trainer), hence, this is my area of expertise

First, have you tried not driving your S for awhile to see if this is really what causing the pain? The pain of acute sciatica usually goes away on its own in six weeks or so depending on the cause.

Second, what's your daily activity/ies consist of?

Third, Have you seen an Orthopedist? If not, see you're orthopaedist and get the "true" diagnosis of your pain. It's better knowing than not knowing or wasting your time seeing other than an Orthopedist.

In the meantime, (not sure if you know this already or have already been given as advice) heat and cold applications, over-the-counter pain relievers, and exercise or physical therapy can help ease the discomfort of sciatica and speed recovery. When symptoms of sciatica don't respond to conservative treatment and pain is chronic or disabling, perhaps surgery is your option to relieve pressure on the nerve.

But please see an Orthopedist if you haven't.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Sciatica and the S2k