Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Semi-official ring times for the vettes

Old 07-17-2005, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rai,Jul 17 2005, 05:15 PM
Those three cars ahead of the Z06 b/c I am not a race car driver. I like a quick car but there's always something quicker or even someone with a slower car that can out race me. Basically ring numbers are good for bragging, but real world they don't do much for me. Will I get to work any faster in a Z06 than I would in a NSX? Don't think so b/c real world in not a race track.

The big thing going against the Z06 is b/c it's gonna be so common. They were selling as many C5 Z06s per year as Honda was selling S2000s in the US. Basically I could see a Z06 every day sometimes more than one. But a GT3 or F360 or F430 etc.. are a rare sight where I live.

Plus (to me) I like the looks/style of a GT3, F430, Gallardo etc.. more than a vette. I'm not saying the vette is no good, just it's style is not my cup of tea that all. Some people are ga-ga over Mustangs or Camaros which do nothing for me, I'd rather have a nice 3-series. Different strokes.
The reason you don't see a GT3/360/430 everyday is because they are $200k. The Z06 is a race car for the masses, I think it is a great idea...Why should the only people who get to have a real performance car have to have an income of 1,000,000 a year. your comments suggest that Chevy should sell the Z06 for 150k that way there won't be so many...
Old 07-17-2005, 04:49 PM

I hate to burst your bubble guys, but these times are about as far from being 'official' as you (or I) making up random numbers here. It is all a hear-say and you don't even know what track configuration they were using. Was this the full lap (ie. like Sports Auto uses) or the BTG lap like Best Motoring uses? One takes obout 20sec longer than the other so it's important to know.

Also a company cannot set an 'official' time unless they had some independent officials/time-keepers to observe and make sure that the cars were really stock, that they wer eon road tyres and that they did achieve the time that they claim.

Untill then the only 'official time os the 8:18 time set by the C5 "Commemorate Edition".

ps.
This is about as official as when Nissan claimed that they broke the 8min barrier with 7:59 in an R32 GTR. They just forgot to mention that the car was on slicks, race suspension settings, with roll-cage and pushing a lot more power. Turned out that the quickest 'official' time for an R32 GTR was around 8:32 if I remember correctly. Not even close to their claims of 7:59 but I'm sure that Nissan managed 7:59 in their 'special' car.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rai,Jul 17 2005, 03:15 PM
Those three cars ahead of the Z06 b/c I am not a race car driver. I like a quick car but there's always something quicker or even someone with a slower car that can out race me. Basically ring numbers are good for bragging, but real world they don't do much for me. Will I get to work any faster in a Z06 than I would in a NSX? Don't think so b/c real world in not a race track.

The big thing going against the Z06 is b/c it's gonna be so common. They were selling as many C5 Z06s per year as Honda was selling S2000s in the US. Basically I could see a Z06 every day sometimes more than one. But a GT3 or F360 or F430 etc.. are a rare sight where I live.

Plus (to me) I like the looks/style of a GT3, F430, Gallardo etc.. more than a vette. I'm not saying the vette is no good, just it's style is not my cup of tea that all. Some people are ga-ga over Mustangs or Camaros which do nothing for me, I'd rather have a nice 3-series. Different strokes.
Rai, you rate exclusiveness over outright performance, which is why you cannot see the main reason why so many people have bought the Z06. I don't own one so I'm not a fan but the record speaks for themselves. Sure the other 3 cars are exclusive and better in some way, but to the average driver like yourself the Z06 is more than enough to play with and not break the bank doing it.

You even go on to talk about the BMW 3 series, which are not even in the same ball game.

Seriously, I bet if you look inside a baller's garage, he will definitely have among the Lambos, ferarris (thanks Wis) and Porsches, a Corvette.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DavidM,Jul 17 2005, 04:49 PM
I hate to burst your bubble guys, but these times are about as far from being 'official' as you (or I) making up random numbers here. It is all a hear-say and you don't even know what track configuration they were using. Was this the full lap (ie. like Sports Auto uses) or the BTG lap like Best Motoring uses? One takes obout 20sec longer than the other so it's important to know.

Also a company cannot set an 'official' time unless they had some independent officials/time-keepers to observe and make sure that the cars were really stock, that they wer eon road tyres and that they did achieve the time that they claim.

Untill then the only 'official time os the 8:18 time set by the C5 "Commemorate Edition".

ps.
This is about as official as when Nissan claimed that they broke the 8min barrier with 7:59 in an R32 GTR. They just forgot to mention that the car was on slicks, race suspension settings, with roll-cage and pushing a lot more power. Turned out that the quickest 'official' time for an R32 GTR was around 8:32 if I remember correctly. Not even close to their claims of 7:59 but I'm sure that Nissan managed 7:59 in their 'special' car.
DavidM, you're right. There are several configurations used for driving at the ring, though like you mentioned, 2 are the most commonly used.

You are however wrong about the R32GTR breaking the 8 minute barrier, that was the R33GTR, which was indeed modified (speed limiter was disabled, the boost was turned up, and the suspension and ATTESA were modified). A stock R32GTR did it in 8:22.
I believe they had to be modified to discover the full potentials of the cars since they were limited in so many ways (as with a lot of Japanese sports cars that were following the gentlemen agreement).

R34 GTR did it in 7:52.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:09 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGTR,Jul 17 2005, 05:01 PM
You even go on to talk about the BMW 3 series, which are not even in the same ball game.
I only mention 3-series to say I like those while other people may like a Mustang. it's personal preference.

I like the performance of a Z06 but don't like everything about it. I like everything about the F430 except the price. So in my mind the F430 is a better car. Your mind may be different.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Banned

Not really, I would go for the 430 or the Gallardo, but considering what I can afford, I would take the Z06 and still be happy. In fact, I'm more likely to mod the Z06 and drive the hell out of it than the other exotic cars.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:44 PM

The latest Sport Auto has the C6 in the Supertest. Nurburgring lap time was 8:15.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:46 PM

Deleted the Double Post
Old 07-17-2005, 05:53 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidM,Jul 17 2005, 04:49 PM
It is all a hear-say and you don't even know what track configuration they were using. Was this the full lap (ie. like Sports Auto uses) or the BTG lap like Best Motoring uses? One takes obout 20sec longer than the other so it's important to know.
Well that's important to know. So for all we know the Z06 may not be 20-30 sec quicker than the Cayman S. It's so hard to be sure what time they're talking about when they say "the ring"
Old 07-17-2005, 06:31 PM

I agree, I would take a Ferrari or an NSX before the Vette, even if they cost 5 times as much period. I like the C6 a lot.. but I'd still take any Ferrari over it period

Quick Reply: Semi-official ring times for the vettes