Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

SL55 vs NSX? Price drop gap?

Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think, tho I'm not sure, but it could be the cost to repair/replace and or chance of major costs may be higher with a MB than a NSX.

I mean what's the cost (god forbid) if you needed a replacement engine on a AMG SL?

I was just reading about the engine (the new NA engines) in the AMGs costs about 5x as much as a Corvette engine if you had to replace.

I read something about the early Boxsters that said the CEL (check engine ligh) the dealers were saying CEL stands for Change Engine Light, I would shudder to thing of the cost of replacing an engine in a 911 TT.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt,Nov 6 2007, 07:55 PM
well, 'dude', from the pictures the differences don't look as significant, I'll give you that. However, either due to the way they are cared for as they age or because different paint schemes/tail lights/wheel combos etc. make a great difference, no one in their right mind is going to claim that a 90's MB looks like a newer one. The 03-07 SL's do look similar, but even a little kid can tell the difference between a new MB and an older one. A 98 s class looks 300 years old now. Even that 01 SL you posted looks very outdated. The transition from 89-01 year models was pretty uneventful from the pictures though. The c-class, e-class, etc. models also look outdated very quickly although I'm a big fan of the 99-02 E class [might be off slightly on the years], which I find to be the perfect blend of classic MB styling that is still modern.
But that's not what you said before, and not what I refuted. You said "new ones come out every couple of years."

They don't.

Do old ones look old? Maybe. But, if the pattern stays the same, the 2003 SL500 will look almost identical to the 2012 SL500.

Furthermore, there are plenty of old-money people, especially where I lived in CT, who buy a new SL every once in a while and keep it for decades. The guy with the new SL550 may or may not be rich, but it's almost a sure bet the guy with the immaculate 380SL or 560SL is a multi-millionaire. Any SL is considered a pretty classy ride by all but the most materialistic idiots.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NSX = NO MAINT

sl's are a dime a dozen out here, 6-7 at every stoplight with a range rover behind them
Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pierceman,Nov 6 2007, 05:33 PM
NSX = NO MAINT

sl's are a dime a dozen out here, 6-7 at every stoplight with a range rover behind them
Aaaah Socal.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM

For sportiness, no competition - NSX all the way!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 PM

sl55 amg. v8 supercharged with drop top? probably not as fun as 91nsx but i will have cd player on my dash with navigation. nsx is nice but i m not into old cars. i would definately consider nsx with non-pop up headlights though.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Buying a 2005 NSX doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. And I wouldn't own a MB out of warranty. If you want a last gen NSX then find yourself a 2002 model that has records and low mileage and call it a day as it's the same as a 2005, same everything. If you spend some time looking you should be able to get one in the 50k range and save yourself 20 grand.

Here is one based on a simple autotrader search.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...ce=&cardist=596

Seller's Comments
HIGHLIGHTS: All scheduled maintenance with maintenance records available. The vehicle has low mileage, is a non-smoker vehicle, and was ALWAYS garaged. It was also washed only with Zymol products and waxed with the infamous Bugatti wax by a professional detailer from Ferrari of Atlanta. The car has an after market exhaust, recent new tires, and has an extended ACURA warranty until December of 2010 and approximately 65,000 miles.

$50k and only 25,000 miles. If I had 50k I'd buy it myself.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Nov 7 2007, 06:17 AM
Buying a 2005 NSX doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. And I wouldn't own a MB out of warranty. If you want a last gen NSX then find yourself a 2002 model that has records and low mileage and call it a day as it's the same as a 2005, same everything. If you spend some time looking you should be able to get one in the 50k range and save yourself 20 grand.

Here is one based on a simple autotrader search.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...ce=&cardist=596

Seller's Comments
HIGHLIGHTS: All scheduled maintenance with maintenance records available. The vehicle has low mileage, is a non-smoker vehicle, and was ALWAYS garaged. It was also washed only with Zymol products and waxed with the infamous Bugatti wax by a professional detailer from Ferrari of Atlanta. The car has an after market exhaust, recent new tires, and has an extended ACURA warranty until December of 2010 and approximately 65,000 miles.

$50k and only 25,000 miles. If I had 50k I'd buy it myself.
wow nice find, if it were red or grey I would move on this asap....... please find this deal in another color and I would move on this asap....nice find!!! This is a steal!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=rai,Nov 6 2007, 05:12 PM] I mean what's the cost (god forbid) if you needed a replacement engine on a AMG SL?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff,Nov 7 2007, 09:52 AM
wow nice find, if it were red or grey I would move on this asap....... please find this deal in another color and I would move on this asap....nice find!!! This is a steal!
Autotrader is your friend, as is NSXPrime. I've looked at them extensively in the past and found out that you need to take some time to find the right one and you'll find it.
I'm think Grey is excellent, and I'd take Red or Blue as well. It's a beautiful machine and pretty reliable. Good luck in your search. If it's not going to be a daily driver, wouldn't be for me, then black would be an acceptable color considering the price of the one I found, and the fact that it's been meticulously maintained along with all service records. I'd get over the color and call the guy up. It would be a 10-20 year car for me as I've driven them and it's truly a beautiful machine to drive.

Quick Reply: SL55 vs NSX? Price drop gap?