Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

So sick and tired of power talk...

Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I have a cheap solution. Smaller overall diameter tires. And or... move down in rim size also if a smaller same width profile tire isn't available for stock wheels. Your shedding unsprung weight as a side benefit as well. I did this with the S back in the early days. I could experiment with gearing without committing to a rear end ratio if I didn't like the results.
How about a slightly narrower tire to make the car a little more lively? Didn't Porsche do this on a limited 911?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by VilleS2K
It's funny. So many "car enthusiasts" are obsessed with horsepower and torque (more, more, more!), yet...
a) They can't even handle that much power on backroads or track. (And most don't go to track anyway.)
b) They're doing less real driving, as electronic this, electronic that, traction control this and stability control that are often intervening to save them from their moderate skills and their cars' obscene power.
For sure I'm a MUCH bigger fan of small size and light weight than I am of big horsepower and torque. But big power/torque in a reasonably small and lightweight car is pretty damn compelling.

I just took my LS3 FD to Watkins Glen for time trials with COMSCC last week (a & b above do not apply ). What a rush! Only did a 2:08.0 in the time trial, but for a heavy (for an FD) street car time-trialing on the same NT01 tires I drove out there from RI and back on, not that bad :P ~155mph before the chicane...

Originally Posted by engifineer
Depends on the driver and what they are doing. 90% of drivers, no matter how johnny racer they think they are, cannot properly utilize 500hp on a track regardless of handling (I would rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow anyday ... whoever said it was right!).
Previous event at Palmer, MA, I broke the FD's driveshaft and a friend offered to let me drive and time-trial his track-prepped 140hp 318ti. I couldn't believe how much fun it was coming from the 500+hp FD, and I got to actually play with other cars! It is a different kind of fun, though. Big-power cars are definitely more challenging to get everything out of at the track, and honestly the feeling of whistling down the straights at well over 150mph is fricking fun in its own right In my experience, if you can drive a FAST car reasonably fast, you can easily drive a slower car at its limits. The opposite is not true.
On a big track in the right hands, a lot of power and good handling are addictive.
Indeed...
I will have a muscle car in the stable at some point, next to the S2k and who knows what else. I am not one that thinks you cant have fun without big power, or that every car needs big power.
Not a fan of the current oversized/overweight crop of muscle cars, will never own one. If I had to buy a new car today, it would be a BRZ. That's how much more important small size and light weight are to me vs. big power.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
It's much easier to stroke ones ego by talking HP than it is discussing handling and braking. I'll take big brakes over an extra 50 hp.
In the S2000, I would take the 50hp! It doesn't need big brakes. For track work I would take suspension over 50hp, though. My S2k is my DD and totally stock (except roll bar). Mad fun on the street, wallows around at the track...

Originally Posted by rob-2
Another strange side effect is it seems big power cars never really feel like they're going that fast. Even when you're doing 150 mph....
150mph feels fast in the FD. 185 feels REALLY fast! (note: never hitting or trying to hit anything like those speeds on the street)

Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77
I concur 1,000,000%. Half of the reason that I got rid of my RS4 was because it had become too much of a hassle to even enjoy on the road. I could never open it up on city streets, and it took the pleasure out of driving it.
I don't understand this sentiment at all. On the street, I use as much throttle as I want/need, up until I'm out of throttle. On the street, that pretty much NEVER happens in the FD. Which is fine, and if anything INcreases my enjoyment of it. In the S2000, I'm up against the throttle stop and then there's just no more to be had (doh). I hear it all the time, how big power is "boring", and I just can't comprehend how having much less power should be more "fun" just because you have the pedal at the floor a greater percentage of the time. Don't get it...
Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
My vette wasn't expensive in its purchase price and the operating costs weren't so bad, but I could never drive it to the mall or the movies
Why not? I drive my S to those places. Is this a case of your thing you own owning you and paralyzing you from using it?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Why not? I drive my S to those places. Is this a case of your thing you own owning you and paralyzing you from using it?

I own a C5 Z06 as well, and while I don't totally see things the same was as TheDonEffect, I will say that it's a more difficult car to drive places than an s2000. It's just so freaking low to the ground that it will catch its bumper and/or high center on anything remotely resembling a steep parking lot entrance. I really love the car, but it's not as user friendly as most other sports cars.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
How about a slightly narrower tire to make the car a little more lively? Didn't Porsche do this on a limited 911?
No idea, but not the direction id go in.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Driving fast cars is very fun, just like cocaine, but like cocaine if you don't have the disposable income to fund your habit comfortably, well it does even more terrible things. I think what some of us are trying to articulate is that smaller, less powered cars provide the most thrill, scratches the most automotive itch, for the buck. You wake up one day saying why do I have this much time and money tied up in this. Then you drive say a miata, or an s2000, or whatever, and realize that in a vacuum, in your own mind, you're having lots of fun. Anyway happy motoring.
Well said. It reminds me of many of Chris Harris' observations about "motoring experiences." Such as this video comparison here, even thought the 911 R was geared toward the purist driving experience:

Old 09-21-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I own a C5 Z06 as well, and while I don't totally see things the same was as TheDonEffect, I will say that it's a more difficult car to drive places than an s2000. It's just so freaking low to the ground that it will catch its bumper and/or high center on anything remotely resembling a steep parking lot entrance. I really love the car, but it's not as user friendly as most other sports cars.
Precisely, it's also wide and people here give zero flocks about dinging your doors. It's just cumbersome driving it around. The s2000 in contrast is very driveable in that respect. Don't get me wrong though, on the highway the vette is very comfortable and I could do road trips all day with it. Point in trying to make is that I get so few excuses to drive it other than when I'm by myself and just want to scratch an itch which I rarely get to do. And this is mostly in my own head but I felt the need to preserve it at all costs which really sucked alot of the joy of driving it. I live in the bay area, forget driving the c5 in san francisco. Alot of times you enjoy your car in between mundane life things and this car just stayed in the garage.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I think alot of us enthusiasts get caught up in a sort of arms race and convincing yourself that you really are happier in proportion to the exponential costs of stepping up in cars. Then you go and drive a buddy's "lesser" car and come to the realization that those cars scratch the itch as well, and with alot less drama and financial burden. It's almost like we're expected as enthusiasts to show that we've grown up as enthusiasts to buy better more expensive cars.
I talked to a buddy of mine who's essentially financially retired at my age, alot of those in the bay area, and he just go through 240sxs like used socks, and they don't look far off either. Blowing motors are fun opportunities, not financial burdens. That's the point isn't it? It's supposed to be fun, not work. Its the reason why driving a rental will always be more fun than owning it.
But everyone is different, I don't make the kind of money where can buy six figure cars and go through them like candy. But I learned that if you buy a car because it's this fast or whatever, there's always something that's better. Or maybe it's because I've been talking with too many spec miata types... lol.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent, in regards to cars with big power I've come to the realization now that cars like that are better suited for luxury, gt, bigger cars because why put up with the shortcomings of a couple or worse yet 2 seat sports car if a sedan is equally capable? If I just want to mash the throttle from time to time then why would I want it in a spine crushing car that I can't fit a case of water in? And if I want to go around corners fast, why would I want something that weighs two tons? You can rarely have both, and at timecard punchers budgets you won't be able to afford it unless you deal with used money pits.
Another thing you realize that for most enthusiasts the corners are the great equalizer, you can take say the new type r, or a miata, and probably go around a corner as fast if not faster than your buddy in the c5z. So the reason why driving slow cars fast is sometimes as fun if not more fun than driving a fast car, is because around a corner, especially on public roads, the fast car can't go much faster. Cars aren't getting much more than about 1g around a corner. Racing is a game of seconds, but if you're not competing seconds mean nothing when it translates to fun.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 401 Likes on 222 Posts

Been there, done that. When I had my 125hp Del Sol Si way back when I thought when I got my Prelude with 195hp, I would be happy and I was, but it wasn't a game changer.

Same story, different tune, to the C5, S2000, C6 Z51, and ZR1. More excitement, more money, but not necessarily way more fun. Fun is relative. GT4 was pretty epic, but I did miss the torque I had gotten used to with V8 and forced induction power, so there was a little thrill gap there.

Hoping the 991.2 GT3 in a few months scratches every itch, but I have no illusions I will be any 'happier' overall or my life will change dramatically. I'd probably have a similar overall level of fun in a BRZ/86, MX-5 RF, etc. but just going a lot slower. But, since I could get a new GT3 at MSRP, I said screw it. Won't lose any money to speak of with demand being so strong.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Are you getting the GT3 with the manual? Dumb question, knowing you, but figured I'd confirm....

Quick Reply: So sick and tired of power talk...