Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

So we're seeing a lot of "rumors" on Honda Turbos

Old 02-25-2005, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So we're seeing a lot of "rumors" on Honda Turbos

So there seem to be a bunch of rumors (above the normal noise) about turbo's on future hondas, specifically next years models. Is this going to be for real?

I know Honda has plenty of experience with turbo's on race engines, but I don't recall too many for production.

Thoughts?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesy,Feb 25 2005, 03:01 PM
So there seem to be a bunch of rumors (above the normal noise) about turbo's on future hondas, specifically next years models. Is this going to be for real?

I know Honda has plenty of experience with turbo's on race engines, but I don't recall too many for production.

Thoughts?
rumors is the key word thats all they are, honda will not tubo a car anytime soon
it's not there way it would be really pointless to do that.the only reason to use a turbo is to build power, honda doesn't need turbos to build power they use high rpms plus vtec. also they have invested so much money in building motors like the f20c.f22c and k20. it would make no point to turbo a car for honda they would lose alot of money redesigning all there motors.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:42 PM

How is this thread gonna state it's for real any more than the other threads? just playin.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SEASILVER02S2K,Feb 25 2005, 05:15 PM
rumors is the key word thats all they are, honda will not tubo a car anytime soon
it's not there way it would be really pointless to do that.the only reason to use a turbo is to build power, honda doesn't need turbos to build power they use high rpms plus vtec. also they have invested so much money in building motors like the f20c.f22c and k20. it would make no point to turbo a car for honda they would lose alot of money redesigning all there motors.
While I agree with most of what you're saying, a turbo application continues along the lines of a big part of what you're saying: efficiency. Taking a smaller, lighter weight 2 liter 4 cylinder engine, adding a turbocharger and proper tuning, and Honda can do even more with even less.

I've been as much, 'Honda? Turbo? No way! Not gonna happen' as anyone else, until recently. The rumors just won't go away. We all know how secretive Honda is about what they're up to, but these murmurs from the press are so far out of left field (right?) that they might actually be true.

We'll see soon.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:51 PM

Also I think if Honda does produce one or two turbo engines, they're going to be for specific applications.. maybe an SUV for more torque? They're not going to abandon their screaming high-revving VTEC engines.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:49 PM

Honda will have to respond, its been left behind, Subby, Mitsu and now VW have added Turbos to Honda direct compeditors. When Mazda goes Turbo.. oh boy...
Old 02-25-2005, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Feb 25 2005, 04:49 PM
When Mazda goes Turbo.. oh boy...
Didn't Mazda just come out with a turbo sedan or am I thinking of something else?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Feb 25 2005, 04:49 PM
Honda will have to respond, its been left behind, Subby, Mitsu and now VW have added Turbos to Honda direct compeditors. When Mazda goes Turbo.. oh boy...
Well, Mazda put a turbo on the Miata and it still didn't touch the S2000.

I'm not familiar with the Subaru and Mitsubishi engines, but the VW turbo is a heavy, iron block engine - that's why it can take the extra intake pressure from a turbo. Personally, I hope Honda continues to go the lightweight, high revving, normally aspirated route.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:08 PM

This thread reminds me of those old s2000online threads about the future of the AP1 S2000.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:41 PM

The rumor I keep hearing is this:

Take the TSX, add SH-AWD, add turbo. Instant EVO and STI fighter.

I, for one, hope it happens, but am not holding my breath. Of course, if somebody said 2 years ago that Honda is going to build a pickup truck, you would have told them that they were crazy.

And Honda does make a turbo engine, it's in their jet ski. Not to mention their turbo diesels.

It can happen.

Quick Reply: So we're seeing a lot of "rumors" on Honda Turbos