Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Sorry..moved out of the s2000 into...

Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

That isn't exactly a bad trade. I can dig it.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Beautiful car - sounds like it works a lot better for you than the S2000 did. Comfort is a big deal!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Your car is a nice color combo and I like the wheels too. If the car is well maintained, don't fret the mileage.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the faps were had....

I was sooo close to pulling the trigger on an 04 Laguna Seca Blue M3 when I sold the S but just couldn't agree on a price with the guy. I'm jelly.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

good looking car! You should post more pics...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 AM

THANKS GUYS! yall are awesome!

I WILL be back haha..thats the nature of owning an s2000 once in your life.

They both bring smiles to your face..but the s2000 would bring them more often...but the m3 brings that "cool and smooth" factor 100% of the time..and when you punch it and hear that german rasp OMG!

The s54 engine in the m3..is very loud/ticky at idle though..because of individual throttle bodies..I thought being a bmw it would be quiet and smooth..but bmw really let the beast out on this one haha..so dont expect a super quiet ride..this thing is ready to track...and wants to be let out of the box very often with some high rpm quick runs..

I am comparing them because I owned an s2000 before this..not because they are comparable cars..

s2k007... These are things you should look for on an E46 M3:

1. Rear subframe cracks..get under there and check..also under trunk trim.
2. Rear differential bolts are not loose.
3. Youtube Vanos Rattle and make sure the car does NOT make this sound.
4. Common issues are the rear view mirror tends to fail and the fluid which autodims leaks out and can damage interior trim, you get a "small clunk" with the transmission in first to second gear and that is considered normal..almost everyone has it and dealers agree it is normal operation. And sometimes windshield washer fluid can leak.
5.Get the right color combo for the money...the color of ext/int is what makes the car/value. You can find TONS of silver m3...but find a blue, red, or white one and you are golden. Also, very rare, but TRY to find an imola red or cinnamon interior..or one of the rarer interiors(laguna seca blue interior oooh).
6. Also dont fall for the convertible...it is heavier..less speedy...and MORE common..and less desirable. And look for the 6 speed!!!!!!! UNless you want the smg..then go for it..but the 6 speed is harder to find in the right color especially and is a LOT more valueable and desirable. Let's remember that E46 M3 never sell for KBB or nada value..they always sell for more..ESPECIALLY if the color combo/trans/coupe/miles are there..then omg expect top price: for ex:
02 silver 6 speed 90k miles: expect 14.8k
04 Silver conv smg 90k miles: expect 16k
04 silver coupe 6 speed 90k miles: expect 18k
04 laguna seca/cinnamon smg 90k miles: expect 19.5k
04 Alpine white/imola red 6 speed 90k miles: expect 21k

and so on...now you can and PROBABLY will find a rare gem find..but you may have to travel for it..and risk it is not all there when you get there..but if you ask me..it is worth it..these cars are rare and few and owners that own them are usually bmw enthusiasts who maint their cars and care for them. make sure manuals are with car and RECORDS RECORDS RECORDS!! Remember only about 27000 e46 m3 were produced in the North America within their production run..with only about 45000 made worldwide. ALso..forgot to mention..try to get an 03.5+ the 03 and under year cars had rod bearing issues(recall) and also did not come with the LED tail lights. This raises value as well.

And finally ask the seller to take the car to the dealer for a PPI before purchasing to make sure it is all good..they check all the issues I mentioned.

Im loving my new m3 guys!!! bluetooth as soon as I get in the car...calls come through microphone..then stereo kicks back in after calls..auto heating/cooling. auto headlights. And the torque...omg..its good to have torque again in all rpms.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM

I love those e46 m3's. Probably the only car right now in my price range i could justify getting rid of the S for...
Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 PM

love the color. nice.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Thanks guys. Happy to hear that you also think the same way for trading in...it was between the 2004 sti, evo, e46 m3...the evo was TOO plain jane from the inside and had no pizzazz..sure it was fast..but reliability is also not there(used to own plenty 4g62 gst back in the day..eeek).

The sti was beautiful..hard to find a black or blue one at the right price..and in the end..I couldn't justify paying that amount of money for a 4 door box car boy racer looking car..I have grown out of that look and was more into the luxury side for now then the sporty side..but the sti would have been my second choice.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like that color....now you just need to drop it .5 of an inch with H&R springs and you'd be set

Quick Reply: Sorry..moved out of the s2000 into...