Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

STI vs WRX

Old 09-16-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI vs WRX

So is the WRX ever going to get a bump in power? If so then that means the STI would have to to then right?

If I was ever int he market for these cars (im not dont like the looks of the cars) I wouldnt want to buy a underdog the WRX even if its less $$ compared to the STI. You could make it faster with $4 but it will never be an sTI. 23k compared to 30k. Its like buying a n/a to the turbo mdoel of a car kind of. I couldnt buy a lower hp model when you knw theres somethign better....Maybe some WRx owners can chime in. I wonder how WRX 04 sales are doing Also I think alot of people who buy WRX jsut want a sedan to travel in so maybe that netrualizes the performance aspect.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM

I think there's only 2 logical reasons why someone would buy a WRX and not a STi. First and the most obivious one is that they can't afford to spend the extra $6-7k for the STi. I know $7K might sound little to some people, but if someone is already on a budget at $23k then $30k+ might seem a little too high. The second reason is that maybe the person is not looking for all out performance. The WRX offers more creature comforts than the STi, it has leather/heated seats, sunroof, and the ride is more comfortable.

But I know what you're saying though, and I think I'm the same way. Like I'd never buy any other 3 series other than the M3.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:33 PM

Old 09-16-2004, 09:35 PM

The STi is such a different beast that at times comparing it to the WRX is almost comparing it to the S2000.

That said, if you are in the market and the price is right for the STi that is the choice. If not then the WRX is the answer..but wait. That depends what you are looking for. Because now with the Legacy 2.5GT that could be the new value meal for you.

I love my 04' WRX. And the only complaint I have is like you I want more power. Most of us gear heads do no matter what we drive. The aftermarket is strong and options are endless. The redesign is 2 years away, I believe, so we won't know till that time gets closer. I didn't justify the money for the STi cause I wanted to get into a house. And this sedan doesn't neutralize any performance. With the right mods it can sting anything including an S2k.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:27 AM

I think that alot of people like the looks of the cars (like my sister, for instance) and like Subaru as a manufacturer. Also the AWD comes in handy in NY winters if nothing more than as something to put the mind at ease.
That said, she would be in the market for a WRX not an STi, even if she had the money for a STi and just liked it more, I would urge her not to get it, wayyyy to much power for her. That and there is no reason for a person like her to spend the extra 7+ grand on "upgrades" she is not going to use.

When car shopping 30k is not that much, but if your in the market for 21k, then 30k is something like a 30% increase in price, that is way too much too spend for the increase in performance for many.

Also I think I just saw a 2005 Legacy, the front looks good but the back (had rear spoiler) has great looking features. Something about the taillights made it catch my eye. I dont think their out yet, but if they comeout in a few weeks then it most likely was one. For some reason my market (Albany, NY) gets tons of cars before I see them anywhere else (X3, new 5 & 6 series, had the Mini Convt. for a month before it was supposed to be out)
Old 09-17-2004, 05:28 AM

a wrx with $7k of mods will whoop on an sti.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mvf4s,Sep 17 2004, 08:28 AM
a wrx with $7k of mods will whoop on an sti.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:04 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes but drop $7K on the STi and it will whoop the WRX with $7K in mods. Its all relative. If I was the market, the STi would be my choice.

Its like why get an 3 Series when you can get an M3, or an A4 when you can drive an S4.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:38 AM

Your reasoning is idiotic.

Why get an S2000 when there is the NSX?

BTW how are the sales for the '04 S2000?

Same thing.....
Old 09-17-2004, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok hold up...you must admit there is something to be said about a car that is stock that is faster than your stock car. you could buy an old Chevy Malibu or Ford Pinto and drop a powerful v8 in there and it could beat the sti. the sti is sweet because of the way it looks and you know that if nothing else, it has 300hp and possibly more!

Quick Reply: STI vs WRX