Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Talk me in to/out of Chevy Volt

Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why have a sweet ride and only enjoy it once in a while? trade the bimmer for a s2k CR.
learn not to get aggravated over dings. Not a big deal. You already have a don't give a f*ck mantra with DD so why not bleed some of that mentality into a way more fun DD?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vader1

I really could go either way. My other option is to lose the space and buy a GTI in about a year with the DSG, and still get the third fun "beater" with a manual, but they would both probably sit and get dinged up in a crappy space and I have to pay to fuel.

What about a Golf electric??

Almost a GTI... but you get to keep your space https://www.carmax.com/car/14308491
Old 04-16-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

One more thought: Because people are still (generally unnecessarily) concerned about battery life, electrics go pretty cheap on the resale market. Napoli never ran a story on joe Fiat 500e's were going for under 5k!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by panda25
Why have a sweet ride and only enjoy it once in a while? trade the bimmer for a s2k CR.
learn not to get aggravated over dings. Not a big deal. You already have a don't give a f*ck mantra with DD so why not bleed some of that mentality into a way more fun DD?
bc its not enjoyable to worry about your car. In 1 year in LIC, my car ended up getting dinged on literally every panel. To fix them all, I would have to do a full respray...

With a cheap DD, there's a piece of mind that is hard to explain until you do it. Idgaf about the volt. An idiot hit my rear bumper lightly, did $2k worth of damage, it didn't ruin even my day. If that was my s2000 or any nicer car, it would have ruined my month.

That being said holy crap is it boring. Good thing i don't drive much anymore & when you get really bored you can still take the fun car out. You can always drive the fun car to work once a week; etc.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Buying a car to get closer parking makes sense to me. Not.

-- Chuck
Old 04-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuka_indy
What about a Golf electric??

Almost a GTI... but you get to keep your space https://www.carmax.com/car/14308491
They don't sell them in Minnesota. Pretty much in Cali and a few other states. None here to be had. Same with Focus electric. Dealers just do not order them.

And I am not trying to keep a closer space I am trying to keep one that keeps my stuff undamaged. I don't care about a long walk at all. The car in the outdoor space get broken into as they are near a ghetto transit station. I used to have a space between two people that would get to work at the crack of dawn, neither could park worth a damn and would be over the line on both sides of my space. My cars had the crap beat out of them for 20 years because of that. To repaint ONE panel these days is about a grand.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Free juice is worth it. Many just don't understand EV's. If their employer was offering free gasoline they'd be doing back flips.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vader1
They don't sell them in Minnesota. Pretty much in Cali and a few other states. None here to be had. Same with Focus electric. Dealers just do not order them.
Carmax will get one in from Cali for you
Old 04-17-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Driving a beater to work makes more sense (to me) than an electric Chevy -- Oh, wait, those are beaters!

-- Chuck
Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Driving a beater to work makes more sense (to me) than an electric Chevy -- Oh, wait, those are beaters!

-- Chuck
At some point the nice space will house the Porsche and an undetermined third sports car. Having the electric holds the spot. But thanks for the extremely helpful opinions.

Quick Reply: Talk me in to/out of Chevy Volt