Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Talk me in to/out of Chevy Volt

Old 04-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't think I saw any price points in your post, so why don't you try and find an old Tesla Roadster? What about a decent used Model S?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I don't think I saw any price points in your post, so why don't you try and find an old Tesla Roadster? What about a decent used Model S?
Aren't the Tesla Roadster serious money collector cars at this point? I really don't want to spend any real money on one. If I can just swap it out for even money (in the Volt case it put a few bucks in my pocket) and turn my attention to another vehicle cool, but this just gives me an efficient daily beater with a long warranty and virtually zero operating cost besides insurance.

I did a little more research and I do prefer the Bolt but it costs more. I could consider one but it is literally months before they sell them anywhere near me. They are not on GM's schedule for Minnesota until December of this year. We don't have any state EV incentives, so GM wants to try to pump into states where people would have taxpayer incentives to help them move first. I could wait around for them to get here but it will be cutting it close. By the end of the year GM will be getting close to their 200,000 car limit aty the $7500 tax credit. If Tesla starts to crank out production this summer maybe the Bolts will get less buyers, have a little more availability and some incentives.

But as car salesmen are the LAZIEST people on earth, the salesperson at the dealer said he would call me today after trying to arrange a big red tag for the car and I never heard from him. Probably will get back to me in a few weeks after he looks at his list of people who came in for a test drive and did not buy. I am kind of a picky person. When I want to buy something and the salesperson is of no assistance and makes me work for it, my motivation goes away and I say screw it. But I think I am better off laying in the weeds for a couple months and see about Bolt availability and high Volt incentives. My trade really won't go down much over the next few months but the environment for options may change drastically.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito

Used Leafs coming off Lease are dirt cheap, look on ebay, look on autotrader. You'll want the SL. They can be had, easily under 10k.
Holy crap you are not kidding. I did a search and there are Leafs with 30,000 miles under $7000. None near me, they all are above $10k around here but these can be had cheap. I don't think it is my cup of tea just cause I want a little more giddyup and my commute is mostly highway, but talk about a bargain used EV. If I had a more in the city commute east-coast city kind of environment, it would be hard to pass up

Last edited by vader1; 04-17-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Aren't the Tesla Roadster serious money collector cars at this point? I really don't want to spend any real money on one. If I can just swap it out for even money (in the Volt case it put a few bucks in my pocket) and turn my attention to another vehicle cool, but this just gives me an efficient daily beater with a long warranty and virtually zero operating cost besides insurance.

I did a little more research and I do prefer the Bolt but it costs more. I could consider one but it is literally months before they sell them anywhere near me. They are not on GM's schedule for Minnesota until December of this year. We don't have any state EV incentives, so GM wants to try to pump into states where people would have taxpayer incentives to help them move first. I could wait around for them to get here but it will be cutting it close. By the end of the year GM will be getting close to their 200,000 car limit aty the $7500 tax credit. If Tesla starts to crank out production this summer maybe the Bolts will get less buyers, have a little more availability and some incentives.

But as car salesmen are the LAZIEST people on earth, the salesperson at the dealer said he would call me today after trying to arrange a big red tag for the car and I never heard from him. Probably will get back to me in a few weeks after he looks at his list of people who came in for a test drive and did not buy. I am kind of a picky person. When I want to buy something and the salesperson is of no assistance and makes me work for it, my motivation goes away and I say screw it. But I think I am better off laying in the weeds for a couple months and see about Bolt availability and high Volt incentives. My trade really won't go down much over the next few months but the environment for options may change drastically.
Regarding the Roadster, I don't think they are depreciating anymore, and they can be had for about the same money as a used Model S, so if you want a pretty net-neutral cost and fun car, I'd consider it, assuming you're game for a ~$50k purchase. Conceivably you could buy it, drive it, and sell it for more than you paid for it in 3-5 years.

On the flip side, a plug in fiat 500 can be found around $5-6k all day and that car is like driving a rabid couch. Bonus, you could put two of them in that parking spot.

I know someone who picked up an i3 off lease for a low price as well. It's... a BMW golf cart, but hey, it counts!.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Holy crap you are not kidding. I did a search and there are Leafs with 30,000 miles under $7000. None near me, they all are above $10k around here but these can be had cheap. I don't think it is my cup of tea just cause I want a little more giddyup and my commute is mostly highway, but talk about a bargain used EV. If I had a more in the city commute east-coast city kind of environment, it would be hard to pass up
You need to drive one. Look at the torque rating. It moves, trust me. I slay people every time I drive it. I cruise at 70-80mph. It's no sports car but it will get out of its own way. Drove it extensively before I originally leased 3 years ago. Range is the only issue. Winter time, butt cold, the 84 mile range will drop to 70ish. But you've got L2 @ work. Find a local one at a Nissan dealer, and negotiate. They'll do a 6 year 80k bumper to bumper Nissan backed warranty for $1900.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to drive one. Look at the torque rating. It moves, trust me. I slay people every time I drive it. I cruise at 70-80mph. It's no sports car but it will get out of its own way. Drove it extensively before I originally leased 3 years ago. Range is the only issue. Winter time, butt cold, the 84 mile range will drop to 70ish. But you've got L2 @ work. Find a local one at a Nissan dealer, and negotiate. They'll do a 6 year 80k bumper to bumper Nissan backed warranty for $1900.
you 'slay' people in a leaf?!?
jeezus Christ this thread sucks.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:12 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ealand0001
you 'slay' people in a leaf?!?
jeezus Christ this thread sucks.
All the time. Pass people at will. The RWD V8's and trucks, some of those drivers get so pissed and floor it, burning up their own fuel.

but hey, you should get so riled up that you take the Lord's name in vain. Cuz it's all that serious
Old 04-18-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Tech like this will only drop in value.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:35 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Tech like this will only drop in value.
all mass produced cars will drop in value.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Well I found out more info on my parking space and I may or may not lose it, it is complicated but I am still looking into the vehicles and am going to hold out for a few months to see if Bolts show up in Minnesota. But after people talking about the value of used electrics, I read a comparison test of EV's from C&D or Motor Trend and it was handily won by a Chevy Spark EV. 90 miles of range and over 340 lbfts of torque. Same kind of sub-$10,000 price range, 8 year warranty on the drivetrain. As coincidence would have it, this ugly thing is one of my favorite sh*t boxes of all time. I get them as rentals a couple times a year (gas versions) and thing they are fun to drive dork mobiles.

I can't say I would go this route, but I think if I did the bargain used ev thing, this would be it.

As far as you slaying people in the Leaf, I know what you are talking about. People need to try them. The 0-30 times on these electric cars fall at 3 seconds or below for a bunch of them. In around town from a stop they just take off. They tail off drastically after that, but even in the Volt when I stepped on it from a stop it was very surprising. It is all bottom end.

Quick Reply: Talk me in to/out of Chevy Volt